wound or parasite??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
dski13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

wound or parasite??

So I came back from vacation to find one of my male guppies hiding in the thickest planted spot in my tank he only came out for food. I then noticed last night that he had a white bump near his pectoral fin on one side. I moved him to a hospital tank with some salt. This morning he is lathargic and hanging at the bottom except when I put food in. I am including a picture but it just looks like a white bump. When I first got this guppy he had some kind of skin/gill flukes which I treated with Prazi Pro. He has been healthy since then. Does anyone have an idea what this thing is? Should I try to pick it off with tweezers? Or just keep him with the salt and keep my fingers crossed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Herman.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	108410  

dski13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Our Male Guppy

Hello dsk...

Salt is good for "Livebearers". No more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of replacment water is all that's needed. Most pathogens don't tolerate even a trace of salt in the tank water. More than a teaspoon and your aquatic plants won't do well.

I don't quarantine my fish and don't think it's needed, too stressful. So, dosing chemicals isn't an option. They can affect your other fish, plants and sometimes kill your beneficial bacteria.

I suggest an aggressive water change routine for the next few weeks. Change half the water every week, no slacking. Make the new water a bit warmer than the water that's in the tank and dose one teaspoon of salt for every 5 gallons of new water. Get some Anacharis (Waterweed) and float it in the tank. I find this fast growing, leafy plant helps calm my Guppies. Good nutrition is important. I feed mostly frozen, because there are no additives. Feed frozen brine and mysis shrimp, plankton, beefheart and krill. Just a little every couple of days. I also feed a bit of minced garlic. It's a natural antibiotic, with a high vitamin content.

The combination of a lot of pure, treated water flushed through the tank, a little heat, salt and good food will generally help.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B