Critique a Scape - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
That's fine. I was using 1/3rds not the golden ratio (which is slightly different). Also you are right and the 3D version is hard to see in 2D.

Oh. let's see if I can fix it. Like I said though, they aren't as good as I pictured.

Lindsay
I like your ideas. I'm going to mess with it a bit more before deciding. Thanks for the effort! Awesome!
MikeyMizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguerra View Post
As the tank develops, keeping the white sand white becomes a challenge. I would recomend the option with the smallest volume of filter sand. On top of that, having a physical barrier (plastic or rocks) might be a good initial investment that will reduce frustrations in the future.
Agreed. If I use the sand, I'll go with a small path! Thank you!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
The adjustments you made in the left are great. The lower profile on the left gives a better balance to the height of the RHS.

As far as your white sand. I like the canyon/stream but I also like the first pic with no stream. I agree with Rcguerra. So perhaps you can try just contrasting the aquasoil with a gravel of some type with a few larger rock fragments. Much lower maintenance.

TBH I rarely like white sand. So I am biased. However one tank I love has only white sand, or pale sand.

You could get something going like this...

http://www.mikeedmondson.com.au/imag...e_c_mt_kos.jpg

or this...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...JhcsuFbQAERAKQ

Both are lakes in Mt Kosciuszko National park (Australia). They show what I mean by the gravel with larger rock fragments to represent the boulders in the pictures.

So I like images one and two of yours.

I like this scape

Linds
sooooo many options...i think i'm going to die Linds, you've been awesome. thank you!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMizz View Post
sooooo many options...i think i'm going to die Linds, you've been awesome. thank you!
Ha ha! I went through the exact same thing not long ago when I scaped my 2 tanks. I'm just deciding on plants etc now. I have the advantage of not being able to go out and get plants etc. I have to wait because I live 5h from any decent aquarium shop.

What I found was to just decide on something you like and just have a go. You will never get it perfect. But I do try and get it as good as I can.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #35
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

This has interesting potential... I like the stones on the left side of the path, but the large stones on the right don't seem to balance with the other side. Could you use the large stones on the right side of the path in a similar similar configuration to resemble the angle and composition of the small trio of stones in the far right corner? Then add two flat stones laying to either side, to bring in cohesion with the left side.

Maybe push back the left side a bit and move over everything to the right, to give more of the 1:3 ratio... might look something like this:

Good luck!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 03-29-2013 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: NP
bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #36
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I like the 1st pic in your most recent post. You could use plants to help make the stones appear to 'mesh'. I think with the scape ideas you have in mind effective plant use will be very important.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Talking Plants

Some changes have been made in my plan. Now, I'm pretty much committed to the path I've chosen. Here's the update:

1) The white sand path was eighty-sixed. I bought some small light colored stones of varying sizes to make a path instead.

2) I bought some plexiglass to cut up that should help keep the substrate slope.

3) I found a pack of 4 stainless steel tweezers of varying kinds in the jeweler section of Hobby Lobby for $7. Hopefully, they work out.

3) Plants have been ordered. Since I have no experience in buying nor planting, I have no idea what to expect. I want to plant heavily initially to help stabilize the tank. This is what is coming:

30-Marsilea minuta
1-glosso 2x2
4-Helanthium tenellum
6-Rotala Indica Rotundrafolia
3-HYDROCOTYLE VERTICILLATA
3-LUDWIGIA REPENS X L. ARCUATA 1$each
2-CYPERUS HELFERI
5-Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia' 1.50
5-Lysimachia Nummularia 'Aurea' (Golden creeping jenny)
14-Vallisneria Americana Gigantea (jungle vals)
3-Cryptocoryne x willisii (C. lucens)
1 Golfball - Fissiden
1 Golfball - Mini X-mas Moss

I'm attaching my layout...it's partly simply to help me figure out quantities, but I think it will prove to help me in planting as well. If you have a chance, check it out and let me know your thoughts! That'd be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Layout.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	120402  

Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #38
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I do not know the dimensions of a 40B, but I think you are going to have many more plants than you need. The 30 marsilea will almost certainly be two or three times too much, if you plan to do any spreading out of each basket. Same with your val. I find that rocks take up lots of real estate in the tank and you will find plants go pretty far, especially if you are willing to spread things out a bit. You do not want all the stem plants planted in bunches; plant individual stems. This consumes space.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #39
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Oh really?! Wow. Well, my tank is 36"x18". I guess I'll try to fit as much as I can and then give/sell the rest!

Thanks for the feedback, Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I do not know the dimensions of a 40B, but I think you are going to have many more plants than you need. The 30 marsilea will almost certainly be two or three times too much, if you plan to do any spreading out of each basket. Same with your val. I find that rocks take up lots of real estate in the tank and you will find plants go pretty far, especially if you are willing to spread things out a bit. You do not want all the stem plants planted in bunches; plant individual stems. This consumes space.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #40
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Added the path
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	120770  

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Added the path
Not that I know anything much about specific plants but the layout looks good.

I think perhaps the stones in the path could be better. I think it's ok, but I would change a few things. I'd make the most of the rocks smaller and only leave a scattering of larger ones. Also perhaps some pieces of the rock you have used in the rest amongst it.

I'd also make it a little less 'smooth'

I think it will look amazing

Lindsay
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

I think you are probably right in you suggestions, Lindsay. Thanks for your input... Much appreciated. It looks like at least some of the plants will arrive tomorrow, so I'll mess around with it today. I don't have any more slate, but maybe if I add a good amount if the smaller pebbles that look somewhat similar, it would have the same effect...

Quote:
Not that I know anything much about specific plants but the layout looks good.

I think perhaps the stones in the path could be better. I think it's ok, but I would change a few things. I'd make the most of the rocks smaller and only leave a scattering of larger ones. Also perhaps some pieces of the rock you have used in the rest amongst it.

I'd also make it a little less 'smooth'

I think it will look amazing

Lindsay
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #43
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Smile

Quote:
Oh really?! Wow. Well, my tank is 36"x18". I guess I'll try to fit as much as I can and then give/sell the rest!

Thanks for the feedback, Tom!
BZZZZT! Wrong answer!

If you find yourself with too many plants the correct answer is more tanks. Your inexperience is showing!
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #44
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

My girlfriend won't allow it...and as much as I love aquariums, I love her more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
BZZZZT! Wrong answer!

If you find yourself with too many plants the correct answer is more tanks. Your inexperience is showing!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #45
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
I think you are probably right in you suggestions, Lindsay. Thanks for your input... Much appreciated. It looks like at least some of the plants will arrive tomorrow, so I'll mess around with it today. I don't have any more slate, but maybe if I add a good amount if the smaller pebbles that look somewhat similar, it would have the same effect...
Probably will do. they are a very similar colour by the looks of it. That is one good reason to always have more rocks than you will need. But I'm aware that's not always possible. playing around with your path is at least not too difficult with a filled or partially filled tank so if your plants do come it won't be the end of the world.

Lindsay

Tags
aquascape, aquascape design, rocks, slate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.