Critique a Scape - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMizz View Post
Farmer, thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate some criticism and insight into possibilities. I'll give it a go. However, one thing that I really like with the way they are is the gap between the two structures is reminiscent of a canyon. I was thinking about running some white or beige sand through that area in the midst of a black ADA AS substrate. If I flip the structures, I either lose that, or need to restructure to gain it back.
Ultimately it's up to you but I don't think what I'm suggesting will rule out that idea you have. I also imagined a 'path' or 'gap' between the two. It will just mean it's a more interesting canyon IMO.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mty View Post
Looks nice, i like the layout, i don't think the stones look unnatural either
Thanks for the input, Mty!
MikeyMizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Default Option Two

Ok, so I tried to rough the edges a bit, but the rocks just crack. I'm happy with the way they are.

Here is option 2 for a scape. Tell me what your thoughts are! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-8.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	109978  

Last edited by MikeyMizz; 03-25-2013 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Removing pics in order to add more
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I like the 1st one better; it's more unique.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #20
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
+1, 1st setup has a more natural panoramic landscape
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
+1, 1st setup has a more natural panoramic landscape
Hey, thanks for the input! I can see what y'all are sayin'. I'm wondering if a combination of the best elements of both would be a better option...or can is option 1 as good as it gets?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the input! I can see what y'all are sayin'. I'm wondering if a combination of the best elements of both would be a better option...or can is option 1 as good as it gets?
I like the left of option 2 but the RHS just doesn't fit with the LHS. I think that's your problem. This is probably because in nature rocks like this are all on the same angle unless hey have broken off the main formation.

Once you get some substrate in there it will be better because you can raise the formations and work your way down to the front of the tank. Also at the moment you are having to use the rock to hold each other in place. When you get substrate in then you will be able to have better control over how you want them to sit. For instance you don't have to have them touching each other and can have gaps and cracks.

One trick I have be taught when you have a path or similar leading off into the background it always looks better if it disappears before it reaches the glass. For instance it might go out of view behind a rock or such. This creates the illusion of more depth. Have a look at some tanks with paths and you'll see what I mean.

If you aren't totally happy when you look at option one (or two) then it's not as good as it gets. If you like elements of both then try it out.

Lindsay
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Stand is in place. Tank is set. Equipment at the ready.

Aquasoil is in.

Hardscape is slightly different, but worked from the first set up. What do you think? Is is better than the first? Would you make changes?

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-13.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	112770  

Name:	image-14.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	112778  

Name:	image-15.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	112786  

Name:	image-16.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	112794  

Name:	image-17.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	112802  

Name:	image-19.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	112810  

Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #24
Marvelous

it looks cool. You're giving me ideas now
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Stand is in place. Tank is set. Equipment at the ready.

Aquasoil is in.

Hardscape is slightly different, but worked from the first set up. What do you think? Is is better than the first? Would you make changes?

Thanks for looking!
Great! it looks so much better now you have substrate to work with.

First of all I like it how it is. But I will make suggestions of how I think you can do better.

At least I think you could do these things.

1)put the RHS rocks on more of a lean. This will both bring the largest pointy rock onto the third line but I think they would just look better. Either that or have none of them on and angle.

2)put the large rock second from the left on more of an angle to match the right. Stand the left most rock up too the same angle. The reason being the two groups are clashing rather than harmonising as they are. The small group of rocks at the right front is great and is a scape of it's own. I like that a lot.

3) add a bit more substrate at the back, or put some gravel under it if you don't want or have more aquasoil.

I have digitally messed around with the scape and done some swapping. obviously I can only do so much and it is not the same as I can do in my head but I'll show you anyway...

Attachment 112930

Ok, so with this one try and ignor that the rocks are not in perspective and such. but here I have moved the right rocks further to the right so the largest rock is 1/3 the distance from the right side of the tank. I think no matter what you do you should do this. You want to try and avoid your 'stream' being in the center of the tank. I also added a couple of rocks but I can't get them to look like I want (on an angle like the rest).

Attachment 112938

this one I was trying to swap the arrangement but couldn't get it to look right, I just posted it anyway.

Anyway, whatever you do it should look good.

Lindsay
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Great! it looks so much better now you have substrate to work with.

First of all I like it how it is. But I will make suggestions of how I think you can do better.

At least I think you could do these things.

1)put the RHS rocks on more of a lean. This will both bring the largest pointy rock onto the third line but I think they would just look better. Either that or have none of them on and angle.

2)put the large rock second from the left on more of an angle to match the right. Stand the left most rock up too the same angle. The reason being the two groups are clashing rather than harmonising as they are. The small group of rocks at the right front is great and is a scape of it's own. I like that a lot.

3) add a bit more substrate at the back, or put some gravel under it if you don't want or have more aquasoil.

I have digitally messed around with the scape and done some swapping. obviously I can only do so much and it is not the same as I can do in my head but I'll show you anyway...

Attachment 112930

Ok, so with this one try and ignor that the rocks are not in perspective and such. but here I have moved the right rocks further to the right so the largest rock is 1/3 the distance from the right side of the tank. I think no matter what you do you should do this. You want to try and avoid your 'stream' being in the center of the tank. I also added a couple of rocks but I can't get them to look like I want (on an angle like the rest).

Attachment 112938

this one I was trying to swap the arrangement but couldn't get it to look right, I just posted it anyway.

Anyway, whatever you do it should look good.

Lindsay
Thank you! So helpful. I'm going to tinker with these ideas. I did line up the top peak with the golden ratio...measured it and everything (it may even be an inch or so to the right of my mark). I'm wondering if it isn't coming out on the picture due to two dimensional perspective.

P.S. I'd love to check your attachments, but they're not letting me! Says:
"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #27
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

I've made some minor adjustments to the stones, added some more aquasoil, sloped it more up the stones, and experimented with some ideas with the pool filter sand via paint.

Votes? Or other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beach option.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	113074  

Name:	Beach with path option.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	113082  

Name:	Extended Beach with path option.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	113090  

Name:	Path option.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	113098  

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #28
Rcguerra
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Critique a Scape

As the tank develops, keeping the white sand white becomes a challenge. I would recomend the option with the smallest volume of filter sand. On top of that, having a physical barrier (plastic or rocks) might be a good initial investment that will reduce frustrations in the future.
Rcguerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #29
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Thank you! So helpful. I'm going to tinker with these ideas. I did line up the top peak with the golden ratio...measured it and everything (it may even be an inch or so to the right of my mark). I'm wondering if it isn't coming out on the picture due to two dimensional perspective.
That's fine. I was using 1/3rds not the golden ratio (which is slightly different). Also you are right and the 3D version is hard to see in 2D.

Quote:
P.S. I'd love to check your attachments, but they're not letting me! Says:
"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
Oh. let's see if I can fix it. Like I said though, they aren't as good as I pictured.

Lindsay
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
I've made some minor adjustments to the stones, added some more aquasoil, sloped it more up the stones, and experimented with some ideas with the pool filter sand via paint.

Votes? Or other ideas?
The adjustments you made in the left are great. The lower profile on the left gives a better balance to the height of the RHS.

As far as your white sand. I like the canyon/stream but I also like the first pic with no stream. I agree with Rcguerra. So perhaps you can try just contrasting the aquasoil with a gravel of some type with a few larger rock fragments. Much lower maintenance.

TBH I rarely like white sand. So I am biased. However one tank I love has only white sand, or pale sand.

You could get something going like this...

http://www.mikeedmondson.com.au/imag...e_c_mt_kos.jpg

or this...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...JhcsuFbQAERAKQ

Both are lakes in Mt Kosciuszko National park (Australia). They show what I mean by the gravel with larger rock fragments to represent the boulders in the pictures.

So I like images one and two of yours.

I like this scape

Linds

Tags
aquascape, aquascape design, rocks, slate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.