Critique my 10 gal please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Critique my 10 gal please

hey all!

here is my 10 gal so far, not sure what im going to turn it into yet, its finished cycling, here is what i have managed so far

im not entirely sold on this scape, im thinking of removing the rocks and finding some darker rocks, as well the driftwood isnt right so i will most likely remove that as well and buy another small piece of DW. the piece thats in there now was just a cutoff from my other tanks piece.

im also not too sure on what i will do for plant selection yet i will be going out and looking at what is available soon.

any suggestions are appreciated, i have about 10 other small/med/large rocks on my deck i didnt add so if i need more rocks they are ready to go!
CanuckGame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
hey all!

here is my 10 gal so far, not sure what im going to turn it into yet, its finished cycling, here is what i have managed so far

im not entirely sold on this scape, im thinking of removing the rocks and finding some darker rocks, as well the driftwood isnt right so i will most likely remove that as well and buy another small piece of DW. the piece thats in there now was just a cutoff from my other tanks piece.

im also not too sure on what i will do for plant selection yet i will be going out and looking at what is available soon.

any suggestions are appreciated, i have about 10 other small/med/large rocks on my deck i didnt add so if i need more rocks they are ready to go!
Hi,

A couple of suggestions...

add some substrate. Your plants will appreciate it and it is a good idea to raise the level at the back of your tank. Have a look at some scapes you like. Most of them would have a higher substrate at the back.

The rocks are fine colour wise if you like them. Darker would be good too though and I like darker ones better.

Don't go too small with your DW if you get more. The piece you have is too small for the tank (on its own anyway).

That will do for now.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

here is where i stand today.

i didnt change the substrate, i know i probably should, and i probably will in the future, but as of right now i cant.

the Indian Almond leaf is in there for PH purposes as i plan on putting the Apistogramma cacatuoides fry in there that are on their 2nd week in my main tank.

i bought that piece of driftwood, and the 2 unidentified plants from my LFS, i also bought some Java Moss today that i plan on adding tomorrow. i also have some fissidens Fontanus in my main tank that isnt doing as well as i want i may take some of that as well, or buy some more online.

does anyone have anymore hard scape suggestions? as well as plant suggestions? my plant selection is VERY limited in my city, its pissing me off haha, i request them to order more every week, and nothing. so i may do a large order online if someone can suggest some cool plants. i could do a DIY co2 in this tank, the diy in my 45 gallon seems to be a waste of time.

does anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade to a pressurized co2 system? just a ballpark figure?
CanuckGame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

a 5-10 pound co2 canister may run anywhere from $50-90 , co2 regulator anywhere from $50-500 depending on how how you factor convenience, resiliency, and functionality.

the sand and stones need some variation otherwise they sort of blend into one another. would have gone with a larger piece of driftwood as a focal point.

How was the tank cycled? was ammonia added to the tank for 4-6 weeks until levels reached 0ppm or was the tank just run for several weeks as pictured above?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
here is where i stand today.

i didnt change the substrate, i know i probably should, and i probably will in the future, but as of right now i cant.

the Indian Almond leaf is in there for PH purposes as i plan on putting the Apistogramma cacatuoides fry in there that are on their 2nd week in my main tank.

i bought that piece of driftwood, and the 2 unidentified plants from my LFS, i also bought some Java Moss today that i plan on adding tomorrow. i also have some fissidens Fontanus in my main tank that isnt doing as well as i want i may take some of that as well, or buy some more online.

does anyone have anymore hard scape suggestions? as well as plant suggestions? my plant selection is VERY limited in my city, its pissing me off haha, i request them to order more every week, and nothing. so i may do a large order online if someone can suggest some cool plants. i could do a DIY co2 in this tank, the diy in my 45 gallon seems to be a waste of time.

does anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade to a pressurized co2 system? just a ballpark figure?
I'd move the wood to the left a bit. So the highest part is about a third of the way along. Put your rocks in around it. A branchy piece would probably be better. but we can probably work with what you have. You need to try and get away from the 'two separate scapes look' you have going with the rocks on one side and the wood on the other.

I don't have a plant shop anywhere near me so I have to wait to go to a city or mail order. Mail order tends to work for most ppl.

the post above is right and CO2 can vary depending on what you get. have a look at what is around and what/where you can get things refilled. I am using Sodastream for my small tanks.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.