Safe-T-Sorb Setup Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Safe-T-Sorb Setup Question

I am contemplating Safe-TSorb since its cost effective but my question is what do I need to add to the bottom of the tank if anything to help get it "going" i.e Bacter type product

Am I off base in this need? Do I simply clean/wash it, plant it and then let the plants do their part?

I might not be able to get Eco Complte due to my budget and im not 100% sold on the color of Safe-T-Sorb but for $5 it might be a good alternative as I can get it locally
hisxlency is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Minor Threat
Algae Grower

Treat it like any other inert substrate. Due to its high CEC, you may charge it with ferts before planting. Just let it cycle normally and you'll be fine.
Minor Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you don't like the look of it, you can always cap it with something. Does VA have sand boxes on the street for traction? Pilfer some of that for an even cheaper cap!
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I did a fishless cycle in a tank with new STS, and some old filters. The filters had been dry for a while, so I suspect the nitrifying bacteria (Nitrospira) was dead. I did not add any source of bacteria, all the right microorganisms will find the tank even if you do not add them.
If you want to jump start the cycle, the look for a product that specifies it contains Nitrospira species of bacteria. Do not waste your money on anything else.

STS removes the KH from the water, and these bacteria use the carbon from that source, so I kept adding baking soda to keep the KH at least 2 German degrees of hardness.

The fishless cycle went pretty normally, too 3 weeks.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
Treat it like any other inert substrate. Due to its high CEC, you may charge it with ferts before planting. Just let it cycle normally and you'll be fine.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
If you don't like the look of it, you can always cap it with something. Does VA have sand boxes on the street for traction? Pilfer some of that for an even cheaper cap!
not enough snow here usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I did a fishless cycle in a tank with new STS, and some old filters. The filters had been dry for a while, so I suspect the nitrifying bacteria (Nitrospira) was dead. I did not add any source of bacteria, all the right microorganisms will find the tank even if you do not add them.
If you want to jump start the cycle, the look for a product that specifies it contains Nitrospira species of bacteria. Do not waste your money on anything else.

STS removes the KH from the water, and these bacteria use the carbon from that source, so I kept adding baking soda to keep the KH at least 2 German degrees of hardness.

The fishless cycle went pretty normally, too 3 weeks.
good info, ill look out for something
hisxlency is offline   Reply With Quote