Safe-T-Sorb questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Safe-T-Sorb questions

I got a few questions about safe-t-sorb, asked in a couple other post but not sure if my questions just got glossed over or what.

First, how heavy is it? Does it get kicked up and how well does it hold plants.

How large are the granuals, similar to flourite in weight/size?

Does it do a good job holding down glosso? or should I find a smaller sized substrate, I really rather not use a cap if I don't have to.

Also, from the pictures I've seen of it it looks similar to flourite can anyone else elaborate on its color?

I've also read that it absorbs KH and needs to be charged, would it be possible to sprinkle the barebottom of the tank with a small layer of Omsocote (sp) + and then cover with Safe-T-Sorb? Can this substrate be used as a dry start method? If I ended up using it I could put in buckets while it absorbs KH, water here is pretty hard 13 gh 12 kh.

If this info is somewhere else just post a link, I couldn't find it with the search function.
Thanks
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Hi latchdan,

I will attempt to address some of your questions.

I have not experience with Flourite. I can say it is heavier than ADA Aquasoil Amazonia but lighter than gravel. The grain size is varied from medium small to small; it holds plants very well. I haven't attempted to grow glosso in it but is is small enough grained to grow Marsilea minuta with no problems.

The pictureS below are fairly accurate depictions of its color.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

How did you charge it? Or did you just use lots of root tabs. I want to just add the osmocote fdirectly to the tank so I don't have to put it in capsuels
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You could put Osmocote under it to slowly add fertilizer to it.

If you are doing a fishless cycle, then I would monitor the KH and make sure it stays up a bit, these bacteria use the carbon from carbonates.

Pictures are a very good representative of the overall color and a close up of the texture. It is fine enough to grow the littlest plants, but rather light weight. Dry start would work well, then the plants are well rooted and will hold very well when the tank is flooded.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

safe t sorb is light in weight. granule sizes are simliar to flourite as u can see from the top pic. planting is or can be a challenge. especially small plants with small roots. if your tank has high currents and have big fish. u need to plant the plants very well otherwise it will get kick up. u cannot fully rinse this stuff. just rinse it a few good times and put it in the tank. it will clear in a day. when u plant it does get cloudy but settles in a few hours.

i like this stuff. very cheap, color looks natural and in my opinion it does better then flourite. my plants are doing well in my low-tech. the only complain i have about this stuff is how light it is. but once ur plants settles there isnt a problem.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
How did you charge it? Or did you just use lots of root tabs. I want to just add the osmocote fdirectly to the tank so I don't have to put it in capsuels
Hi latchdan,

I don't 'pre-charge' my high CEC substrates with additives (ferts or otherwise) nor do I use Osmocote or Osmocote Plus. I use EI dosing for CO2 aquariums and a modified 'light' version of EI for non-CO2 tanks. I will occasionally add a Seachem Flourish Tab under my crypts and other heavy root feeders.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hrm, thanks for the replys, maybe I'll just pick up a bag and test it out, its only 4.99.