Jake's High-Clarity Shrimp Cubes - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #151
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Dangit. Only added the shrimp yesterday and a female is already berried.

Was hoping that wouldn't occur for some time so I could easily swap these shrimp out for Tangerine Tigers or Taiwan Bees.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #152
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

What on earth am I going to do with my new cubes when they arrive?

Leaning toward turning one of them into a nano reef with just Zoas (leftovers from my other tanks) and such.

Another will definitely be part of my PRL breeding project to bring out larger areas of red. And another for breeding CBS.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #153
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Geeeeez how many more cubes did you get? The ones you have now look great and i see you got the sponge prefilters hooked up.

You sir have too many great threads and ive got days of reading to do. Great pics, great info... Looking forward to updates!

Im pretty sure the first 2 cubes both have christmas moss, but why does one look stringy compared to the other? Or did i miss-read and theyre different?
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #154
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I picked up three more.

One has Christmas Moss (the stump), one has mixed/stringy/Java Moss and the 25cm cube has Fissidens.

Only one (the 25cm) has a sponge pre-filter. The other two that are currently set up have black pantyhose covering the inlet. Gonna replace them with stainless steel pre-filters during the next round of filter maintenance.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #155
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

You have worse MTS than me! I've got 4 tanks, I need to switch out my chipped 10 gallon at petco, so 5, and I'll be getting a 45-F in coming weeks. My dad actually is helping, he's helping me clear off shelves for moving stuff so I can set up the 10g, and maybe on one of those shelves I can set up a few cubes...
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #156
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Ha. Just wait - my MTS will get worse as I shut down more tanks at my office and bring plants home.

Right now I really enjoy shallow tanks like the 45-F, 60-F and anything that's a cube.

Really want to pick up a couple "half" tanks from Glass Cages but can't bring myself to do it.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #157
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

So I finally pulled the plug on the 4.12g version of these cubes, excited to see how the glass quality and silicone work match up to my other tanks. BTW, your goldens are looking great too!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #158
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

For the price, I don't believe you can buy a better tank brand new unless you're friends with an experienced tank maker or live near one of the Asian manufacturers.

Thanks! Am thinking about putting Goldens in one of the new cubes I haven't yet set up, as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #159
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

What are you finding is the best lighting for the 4.1g cube? End up ditching the finnex?

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #160
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Haven't completely moved away from the Fugeray just yet but I am supplementing it with a red Solar Flare LED. Need to find the time to make a few adjustments on the rack so I can switch from the Finnex to something that doesn't wash the tank out.

Toying with using some AquaTop fixtures I've got or maybe going with a PAR led of some sort in a gooseneck. Will ideally go with something that allows room for the top of the tank to be open and easily accessible.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #161
Dugsul808
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice shrimps ! I'm digging your set up and the color quality of the crs! Hopefully they breed well.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #162
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks! All the shrimp are lower grade culls from my other PRL tanks and all three cubes now have baby shrimp or berried mamas - two of them have both. So it looks like they're taking to the cubes really well.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #163
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

I'm jealous Jake. None of my shrimp have become berried yet. I think my house is too warm, the tank sits around 78-79. I need to get a fan or make one of those ghetto ice chest chillers. I might also change from a generic gh booster to one of the shrimp ones like you use.

Did you decide if you're going to do a pico in one of the cubes? And I'll ask you the same question you asked me, do you have journals on any of the reef boards? I just joined and posted on nano-reefs this afternoon.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #164
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Definitely go the fan route. Pick up a cheap/old computer fan, rig it up to a cheap power supply and you're all set. You can even go all fancy and pick up a temperature controller from somewhere like Cooler Guys if you wanted.

Doesn't have to be fancy. Could just attach it to a couple pieces of wood, prop it up on top of the tank and you're all set.

Once your shrimp settle in, they'll breed like roaches. Especially the PRLs I sent you. I have a feeling you'll have more than you know what to do with.

Haven't had any reef journals yet but definitely plan to start with my next setup. Have been slowly tearing down tanks at my office and hope to use a bunch of my softies in a small reef at home. If I don't go with a reef in a 25cm cube, I'm going to pick up an all-in-one of some sort - maybe the much maligned Cadlights. Or maybe even an AquaTop bowfront. Just haven't decided.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #165
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

My desk is pretty close to the tank, so I might just get a cheap one from Target or somewhere to sit on the corner and aim it across the tank. The temperature controller is a great idea. Thanks. I'll have to check into that.

The all-in-ones are definitely nice in their simplicity. My husband has a custom 20 gallon rimless AIO that he got from a board. I guess some local guy makes them and sells them on Craigslist. Here's a pic of his: LPS tank