29G High-Humidity Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

I have a start on a new project, a high-humidity riparium setup in a 29-gallon tank. This configuration will be similar to the riparium I had in a 55 (below) a few years ago, but not as wide.

I like this kind of setup a lot. High-humidity ripariums are easy to set up and maintain and you can keep some cool plants in them. I might try to get some more unusual fish for this project, like maybe some Parasphromenus licorice gouramis.

That setup above had a hardscape underwater with some crypts, but I think I might use simple blackwater pool filter sand + magnolia leaves for this tank. I really like the contrast of the stained water and deep green riparium foliage. My 56G riparium shows this very well.

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Tiptop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sweet! Can't wait to see what you put together!
ROAK Club Member #141
|~|A Tale of Two 40's|~|
Tiptop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Yep I'll try to get some new pictures here. I have several of the plants grown out already and I just need to get them into the new tank.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't made much more headway with this, but I have most of the plants I want to use going pretty good in a growout setup. I rounded up a few old photos to explain some of them.

The 29G is 30" wide, so I can fit seven of the riparium planters inside. Most of the planters will hold crypts. I have discovered a few different crypts that grow especially well emersed in riparium planters.

Here is Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'. This plant gets awfull big and I had this specimen in a 55. It might work to use one of these in this 29 if I trim it back.

Here is C. wendtii "hybrid". This one is really cool with its white variegation, but I think that I don't have it anymore unfortunately.

C. wendtii 'Tropica' is a nice size and shape and it gets an amazing bronze luster when you grow it emersed.

C. pontederiifolia is my favorite for growing in riparium planters. In contrast with the C. wendtii varieties, it is more sturdy and stands up better. Notice the yellow spathe tongue down near the crown of this plant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.