Best Store in Atlanta
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Georgia

Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
jesstray
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best Store in Atlanta

What is the best store for aquatic plants in or near Atlanta, GA? IMHO, the Aviarium is about the best place near me. It used to be the Petland in Duluth, but they have really gone down hill recently. I need to checkout the Petland off of 400 or Marietta.

FILSTAR Pimp #24!!! (XP3)

75g Planted, 10lb CO2, 2x65Watt PC, 2x40Watt OD Fl,
20lbs eco, 70lbs SMS Charcaol, dose w/PMDD,
ph 6.4, temp 84 degF, hardness 50-80ppm, Alk 40, NO3=5ppm, NO2/NH3-N = 0,
4-Amazon Swds, 10 Ammania gracilis, 1-Red Tiger Lotus, Red Cabomba, Rotala wallichii, Glosso, Javamoss, & Misc
jesstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
HiImSean
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

there's a few in atlanta area that i like. Atlantis Aquarium, Optimum Aquarium, and Marine and Tropical Fish are 3 good ones on the NW side on my way home from work i like to go to.
HiImSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
puttyman70
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just stopped by Marine Fish on Johnson Ferry in Marrieta yesterday. Nice selection of healthy plants, clean tanks, and friendly people.
puttyman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
jesstray
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttyman70 View Post
I just stopped by Marine Fish on Johnson Ferry in Marrieta yesterday. Nice selection of healthy plants, clean tanks, and friendly people.
I have never heard of this place. Do you happen to have the address so I can map directions to it?

4-Amazon Swds, 10 Ammania gracilis, 1-Red Tiger Lotus, Red Cabomba, Rotala wallichii, Glosso, Javamoss, & Misc
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
puttyman70
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

http://www.marinefish.net/
puttyman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
confusion
Algae Grower

Both the Petland in Dunwoody and Atlantis Aquarium are the ones I would recommend. I don't think either is spectacular in terms of selection, but they do have quite a variety of common plants.

For more rare stuff, you will most certainly have to order them via the web.
confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Be careful of Atlantis for plants. They have BGA pretty bad and evidently have no intention of trying to get rid of it. There is a pretty good chance that you could get plants there with a hint of BGA on them and then spread it to your tank.

I know because the scenario above happened to me on 2 seperate occasions.

The Petland in Kennesaw has a pretty decent selection of plants. I have bought from them several times in the past. Marine Fish is a good store too. As far as plants go, Marine Fish is probably the most knowledgeable stores in the metro area. They are the only store that I know of that sells a full line of macro and micro ferts (Seachem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesstray View Post
I have never heard of this place. Do you happen to have the address so I can map directions to it?
Marine Fish
1255 Johnson Ferry Rd NE
Marietta, GA 30068

The best days to go to Marine Fish are on the weekend days. I believe they stock up on either Thursdays or Fridays.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
macclellan
H+

PTrader: (208/100%)

I went to Atlantis yesterday on the way back to TN from Atlanta airport. Freshwater fish selection and quality (especially cichlids) is excellent, best I've ever seen. The variety of plants is very good, but quality (as BiscuitS noted) and prices were a bit whack on some things.

Still though, Atlantis is a thousand leagues better than any LFS in Knoxville, hands down. It does look like a hole in the wall, but that adds to its charm.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #9
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

Atlantis is good for fish. They weren't a few years ago, but they have cleaned up their act. They are a little pricey on some fish such as cardnials, but then on other fish they aren't that bad such as harlequin rasboras.

You guys should check out Marine fish when you have a chance. Much better selection and quality of plants.

I like Optimum Aquarium as well. Plant selection lacks (other than what I give them ) but the fish selection is decent. The owner is freindly and he would problably get whatever you asked for.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
jesstray
Planted Member

Where is Atlantis located at? Cant seem to find it with google maps.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

If you have the time, you might want to check out these three stores. All of them are realitively close to each other. A sattelite nav system comes in very handy if you have one.

Atlantis Aquarium
3125 Roswell Rd
Marietta, GA 30062

Optimum Aquarium
2960 Shallowford Rd Ste 180
Marietta, GA 30066

Marine Fish
1255 Johnson Ferry Rd NE
Marietta, GA 30068
Filstar Pimp #106

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
fish-aholic
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to fish-aholic

I can vouch for Atlantis and Marine fish. Two excellent stores. I have yet to try Optimum.
Ehfipimp #277
fish-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #13
confusion
Algae Grower

It's a great looking store, but IMO, the selection was a bit disappointing, unless you were after saltwater. They did seem to have quite a selection of corals and SW fish, and various types of LR.
confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
JoeWhiteFish
Algae Grower

I agree with everyone else on those stores.

Marine Fish has some very knowledgeable folks there. They also have a new line of ferts from Brightwell. There is a big display right up front. They are supposed to be similar to the Seachem line.

Optimum is great, and is the closest to my house, so I make it there quite often, if for nothing else than to refill my water containers (I also have a 20G reef). Biscuit, I probably have a plant or two of yours from Optimum! Funny, because when I told Greg about moving to a CO2 system, he told me he would buy plants from me when I needed to thin out.

Atlantis is old school, which is cool, but I agree, I don't want to bring in any BBA, it took a long time for me to get rid of it. I went with overdosing Flourish Excel.
JoeWhiteFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #15
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

The way to go as far as plants are concerned is to buy from members here in the Swap N Shop. You are going to be able to get plants that you will not find in stores, and the quality is going to be outstanding. Just be careful about ording when it is very cold or very hot. There are some fantastic deals out there. I recently got about 16 stems of assorted Hygros from another member for $9 shipped. Plants arrived healthy and thriving. I have so much, I don't know what to do with it all!
Filstar Pimp #106