Don't like my scape part 2. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #16
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Sorry, missed this. What I was talking about was artificial embankments, like the kind which line raised railroad tracks. When it's not just dirt, you'll see massive amounts of whatever rock is local and common, and granite is about as common as it gets. Also very common in drainage ditches along roads.

I'm picturing 4-6" blocks from the tracks near my house when I was a kid. Anyway, if budget is at all an issue, don't go buying rocks. That's just silly.
+1 on this, I walk down to my local train track and get a bunch of good looking rocks when I'm setting something up, just not sure if they are inert. I don't have a TDS meter, so yea. They look great though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #17
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I know people use the pots for breeding because I'm trying to get my rummy nose to breed. I really want to get more plants. Got ideas on what plants I can get?
Neatfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #18
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

t8 17w 24" light, ecocomplete, root tabs, flourimulti,co2booster. 6hrs light a day.
Neatfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
+1.

Sorry, but you do not have enough plants or hardscape to consider this anything but a completely blank slate. If someone came to me and said "I have black substrate and a school of cardinals, what should I do now?" that would be about where you are now. What kind of a look do you want? Tell us about tanks you like and admire.

FWIW I consider clay pots as functional breeding tank items and not as decor in the sense of the kind of beauty I like. You might be different - you probably are - so tell us what your goals are and give us some guidance. As it is, I'd say some natural hardscape (rocks or wood or both) and lots more plants are starting points. I do like the potential of that substrate with those fish.
+1 to that.

Personally I hate the pots. If you keep them then I just don't like your scape at all. But that shouldn't worry you.

I also totally agree with MABJ. You need stuff that is in scale with the tank. the twigs you had in it are just too small for your tank as it is. They are dwarfed by the volume of the tank. Maybe if you got some rocks you could incorporate them.

My advice is to get some sort of a plan of what you want/like. Look at heaps of tanks and pick things you like about them. Then get your materials organised. Get way more than you need so you have a lot to choose from. Like ppl said earlier, you shouldn't need to buy rocks. you can usually pick up great rocks locally, even in a city.

Personally I wouldn't get too many more plants until you have the hardscape sorted.

Lindsay
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

^+1

I would find some sort of rock that is all the same kind and get lots of them in various sizes and shapes. Make a structure to one side of the tank and incorporate that twig. Once you are happy with the hard scape then think about getting more plants. Your tank is very dimly lit so think about getting moss, Anubias, java ferns and the easy crypts like wendtii.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Moved this plant on top of one of the pots.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

I think you should have the pots on one side of the tank (the rule of thirds aka 1:1.618 ratio) if you want them to look good.It is kinda intentional at the moment. Also have the dwarf sag close together around the pots to create a dense carpet. In the mean time, look for more plants or rocks. You wont even need rocks if you can get more plants. Some low light stem plants shall create a good back ground behind your focal point which is the pots.

You can increase you lighting period a bit. One t8 bulb won't hurt if you have them around 8-10 That might be better for your plants also.

Just my 2 cents
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #23
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

More plants is all I can say, I think the pots may work when they are covered in diatoms and such to give them an older look, at the moment though im not crazy about them.

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Proud Supporter of the Armed Forces of the United States of America. Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Hey thanks guys. I'm still not happy with it right now. Plus this dwarf sag is not spreading like i want it to.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Changed some stuff around today. What you think now?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
JSE
Algae Grower

^ I lol'd
JSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Changed some stuff around today. What you think now?
Better without the stones. Sorry. If you want a stone or two i'd make them bigger.

Have you thought of having more soil in one of the pots as though it had been tipped over and the plant had tipped out and started growing?

Just a thought if you must have those ugly pots

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Added a new plant last night. I'm going to wait until all this stuff grows in before I do anything else.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #30
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

if that is microsword, I don't think your light is strong enough. I remember you have something like 1 T8 cfl bulb right? Correct me if I am wrong.
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.