Which filter to use with pressurized CO2 setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-22-2003, 03:17 AM   #1
CarlaB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hope this is right area for posting this topic. Recently got my Co2 system(Milwaukee regulator/needle valve/solenoid & bubble counter) along with a Reactor 1000. Currently have it connected to an Eheim Ecco 2235. This filter has 185G/H output. This is on a 100G heavily planted tank with 2.5 WPG CF lights. KH is 7 and pH is 7.1 giving me about 16ppm CO2. Problem is the CO2 is having to run almost around the clock to maintain this. I also have a SMS 122 automatic pH shutoff. On this same tank I am running an Eheim 2028 with 250G/H output. Would it be better to change over to running my reactor with the 2028? :? Guess I am wondering if I would be able to maintain my current level of CO2 in the tank without the system having to run almost constantly. Sorry for this post being so long. Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts
CarlaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 03:27 AM   #2
CarlaB
Algae Grower

By the way, reason I chose to hook this setup with the Ecco filter was because this filter's hoses fit connections of the reactor perfectly. This was the easy way! Hoses of the 2028 are quite a bit larger in diameter. Guess sometimes easiest isn't always best! :shock:
Old 10-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Hey Carla, I'm from Gulfport, too! We've got to meet sometime and trade plants!
Well, to answer your questions,
1) I do believe the reactor would operate more efficiently under the great flowrate and pressure of the 2028. It would be fairly easy to adapt the larger tubes to the smaller reactor fittings with a quick trip to Home Depot.
2) You're most likely getting close to 100% diffusion right now with the Reactor 1000 being connected to the 2235, so moving it to the other filter won't affect how often the solenoid is open by much.

Why are you worried about the solenoid being open most of the time? I'm using pretty much the same water as you and I took off my solenoid to run the system 24 hours a day. My 5lb CO2 cylinder has lasted me 8 months now, and counting.
If your plants are growing well and placing a large demand for CO2, then consider that a good thing!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
CarlaB
Algae Grower

Sam, thanks for the reply. My husband asked me the same thing. Guess I just like to worry about possibly not doing things the best way! My poor husband has been very supportive in my new hobby(I've only been doing planted tanks about 4 months). He hooked all the CO2 stuff up for me with me fussing in the background! He is learning more about aquarium plants and fish than I think he ever wanted to know! :roll: I will just leave well enough alone then.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

A supportive spouse is seemingly crucial to one's success in this hobby! My wife tolerates my mania, but has come to appreciate some of the more recent tanks I've set up for their ability to help add life to a rooms design.

Let me know if there are any plants of mine you'd like to try. I usually throw away my extras rather than try to get Gary at Crystal Reef or any of the elitists at Butler's Pets to take them off my hands. They'd probably disintegrate within a day. Email me at sammyxp@yahoo.com if you're interested in trying some new plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.