Lighting and glass canopy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-21-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I am (finally) going to upgrade my lighting from the single flourescent in the hood that came with my tank.

Most of the light fixtures I am looking at are significantly wider than my current strip, which will require that I also get a glass canopy. The glass canopies I have seen basically have 2 hinged pieces of glass, and a plastic strip along the back that you can cut for filters, etc.

Tho I will probably order on-line, I have been checking out LFS to see how various set-ups will look.

Most of the light fixtures I have looked at are wider than the back piece of glass on the canopy. So when sitting on top, they would extend over the hinge. Isn't this a pain in the butt when you need to open the canopy for feeding or maintenance?

I think I saw on-line that All-Glass makes a glass canopy with a wider pane, I think they call it their twin strip fixtures. But I haven't been able to locate any in stores. Anyone familiar with these?

Is the plastic strip in back wide enough clearance for my Penguin bio-wheel filter?
eds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've got two strips of light on top of my tank resting on that AllGlass lid with the wider pane (made for the twin strip). Yes it's a pain, but I deal with it. I pick up one strip and lay in on the other temporarily.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

or you just lift the lid and it tilts the light fixture back till your done
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Thanks. That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple in my ignorance.
Like I said, I just want to upgrade from woefully inadequate to barely sufficient! 2 to 3 wpg. At present, not going into custom canopy and such.
eds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.