Flora Max
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Flora Max

Anyone out there use or used flora max by itself or with soil or any other substrate mix containing flora max? I just wanna know how the plants did, and what's the thickness it was laid down at? What plants did u plant in it?
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Fishbowling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have Floramax in my main tank right now. Plants seem to like it just fine, and it's got enough texture that roots can grab on fairly easily. I pulled a stem or two of my rotala rotundifolia a couple days after planting to see how it was doing, and a couple pieces of rock were already hanging from the roots.

I believe it's nutritionally inert, so you will need some root tabs to feed your plants. Check in the For Sale forum here; I think one or two people have Osmocote gel caps listed right now. My plants love them. Right now I have a lot of stuff growing...green cabomba, rotala rotundifolia, R. indica, blyxa japonica, alternanthera reineckii, moneywort, dwarf sag, and a couple banana plants just having a huge time.

Currently I have it around 1 to 2 inches deep, but I picked up another bag at petsmart last night because I have some root-feeding plants (crypts, dwarf sag) that will be happier with more room to spread said roots. Also because I'm going to change my scape up a little and there just isn't enough in there now to work with for what I want to do, but that's another thread entirely.

Edit: I haven't used it with soil, but I would think that a layer about an inch thick over the soil would work.
Fishbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

What pH are you getting in the tank water using this substrate? (I suspect around 7+ ?)
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbowling View Post
I have Floramax in my main tank right now. Plants seem to like it just fine, and it's got enough texture that roots can grab on fairly easily. I pulled a stem or two of my rotala rotundifolia a couple days after planting to see how it was doing, and a couple pieces of rock were already hanging from the roots.

I believe it's nutritionally inert, so you will need some root tabs to feed your plants. Check in the For Sale forum here; I think one or two people have Osmocote gel caps listed right now. My plants love them. Right now I have a lot of stuff growing...green cabomba, rotala rotundifolia, R. indica, blyxa japonica, alternanthera reineckii, moneywort, dwarf sag, and a couple banana plants just having a huge time.

Currently I have it around 1 to 2 inches deep, but I picked up another bag at petsmart last night because I have some root-feeding plants (crypts, dwarf sag) that will be happier with more room to spread said roots. Also because I'm going to change my scape up a little and there just isn't enough in there now to work with for what I want to do, but that's another thread entirely.

Edit: I haven't used it with soil, but I would think that a layer about an inch thick over the soil would work.
I have a huge bottle of osmocote I never knew u could get it from HD so I grabed a $5 bottle which looks to be big enough to last a long time I also have root tabs from API like 10 pkg of them so I should have no problem there also got some red clay that I rolled into little balls for the spot I'm gonna put soil in the tank I just gotta get to it. Thanks for the helpfull info.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
livebearer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

I just bought a bag of flora max, it was on sale at petsmart . I currently have black sand in my tank and honestly its a pain to plant stems in, i seen the flora max has iron an other goodies in it, not to mention it will hold my stems better. Long story short im capping the sand with it, im already using jobes plant sticks, lets me tell you i just figured out i can buy them at Walmart for a buck a pack they are great! Feel free to pm me in a week or two , to see how my plants are growing!
livebearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
GJL Creative Solutions
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearer View Post
I just bought a bag of flora max, it was on sale at petsmart . I currently have black sand in my tank and honestly its a pain to plant stems in, i seen the flora max has iron an other goodies in it, not to mention it will hold my stems better. Long story short im capping the sand with it, im already using jobes plant sticks, lets me tell you i just figured out i can buy them at Walmart for a buck a pack they are great! Feel free to pm me in a week or two , to see how my plants are growing!
cap the floramax with sand for better results, not the other way around
GJL Creative Solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearer View Post
I was gonna say over the sand use a thin layer of dirt then cap with max.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
xaqdaddy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have floramx over sand. Pita to plant in. IMHO. Otherwise, looks good. I used o+ and another nitrate source. Plants are doing well.
xaqdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant roots, substrate, substrate depth