Ctls's 7.5g shrimp cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
ctls
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ctls's 7.5g shrimp cube

Ah had a major problem, all shrimp died off due to a bug fogger being put off in the house. I have since emptied the tank 75% and refilled and then 99%. Then let tank run with carbon for a few days. I got 2 cherry shrimp from a friend to test if water was good and they seem fine. I believe one even molted. So now I'm wondering what to get. My water is very hard so I think I'm stuck with neo's. I've been thinking rili's would be neat or some orange sukuras. I'm also looking to rescape and trying to decide if rocks or wood is the way to go.

Specs

Tank: 12" cube 7.5g
Light: fluval power compact 13w
Filter: aquaclear for 20gallon I believe
Substrate: fluval stratum shrimp

Fauna: Red cherry shrimp

Flora: Crypt wendtii var. bronze x3 very small
Crypt undulata(that's what it was labeled) 2 one is 2 leafed and the other just came back as one leaf from a melt
Pygmy chain sword 2 small plantlets
Flame moss bits that I haven't removed completely
Water wisteria 1/2 inch tall cutting

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363270335.957383.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	104570

Last edited by ctls; 06-27-2013 at 12:55 PM..
ctls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

SHRIMP CUBE!!!

I think we all start with the invasive plants just hoping that we can grow something. This turns to regret after a few months and a tank full of green.

With those plants I'd go with wood, specifically something that will make a small cave or a rooted section.
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
ctls
Algae Grower

Default Ctls's 7.5g shrimp cube

Yea this was my first attempt at planted, my 20g tall has one African cichlid in it as he was the only survivor from hurricane sandy, the shrimps and plants all survived in this tank though. I also have a 55g tank that I keep some rainbows in with a nice piece of driftwood and some crypts. That would be where my crypts will go if I decide to remove them. I'd really like a carpet plant in here but I don't think I can do that with this light and lack of co2. This substrate is also the biggest pain when planting, half of the time I put them under and they come back out, or float up the next morning. I also forgot to mention I have a ton of needle leaf ludwigia I got from one of those culture packets at petsmart just to see how they would fair. Does anyone know how big the stem gets around, right now they are like 1mm diameter stem and I thought there stem would end up like my rotala monneira.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
ctls
Algae Grower

Just as a question, how deep should substrate be in a small tank like this, I'm wondering if I should get more, mines maybe one inch and I find it extremely hard to get anything to stay planted
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
ctls
Algae Grower

Are there any carpeting plants that would grow in this setup?

Also here are the two kind of layouts I'm thinking about, either way the hardscape will be something I'm going to have to find and as soon as the snow melts I will be going out to look.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
homemadepopcorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Substrate could be as deep as you like but you should be able to grow most everything in 3-4 inches. And you can grow a variety of carpeting plants... it really depends on you preference and how much maintenance you're willing to do along with how much tech you are putting into the tank.
homemadepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
ctls
Algae Grower

Ah had a major problem, all shrimp died off due to a bug fogger being put off in the house. I have since emptied the tank 75% and refilled and then 99%. Then let tank run with carbon for a few days. I got 2 cherry shrimp from a friend to test if water was good and they seem fine. I believe one even molted. So now I'm wondering what to get. My water is very hard so I think I'm stuck with neo's. I've been thinking rili's would be neat or some orange sukuras. I'm also looking to rescape and trying to decide if rocks or wood is the way to go.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
ctls
Algae Grower

So I ran into some problems with my shrimp. They were all slowly turning white and dieting which I now believe is something in the dirt. I separated a healthy male and female into a breeder box attached to the tank and have had babies since and have not turned white. The tank is completely overgrown as I was just trying to get the shrimp healthy.

The tank unfortunately seems to have something that they are we're getting into that was hurting them so I will need to take it down and clean it out... Hoping I can salvage some plants since this is where all my plants are. The new tank is cycling though I have no clue how long it's supposed to take as it's been a long time since I cycled a tank... I've been checking the ammonia levels every few days and it's up to 2 ppm. My other tanks all cycled fast from what I remember. Been 2 or 3 weeks since I started the tank.

The new tank will be a temporary home until I can get the old one clean and cycled.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the breeder box. What kind is it?

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
ctls
Algae Grower

Marina breeder box its the medium one