DIY CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-19-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

ok, my dad has a wine making kit and i know how to make a co2 and i am going to use that. i will have about 3 or 4 one gallon glass jugs with sugarwater and yeast for the supplement. this is what a guy told my dad and i who has done this for along time. But my question is what is the forumla? How much yeast to sugarwater? When does it peek because when it starts going down i will avactate the second one so if gives a close supply of co2. Anyways thanx for the help. Oh, and how long does the jugs last once avacted? This is going to be for my 55 gallon and I just got a new 6500k light for it. I am growing java fern (in a hole in a peice of driftwood), mirco sword, amazon sword and some bulb from wal-mart like a drawf lilly? It just started its stocks and the tallest is about 6 inchs. Anyways and will there be a problem with algae and will to much co2 hurt fish? My tank has two angels, 3 mixed fruit tetras, 1 zebra danio, 4 leapord danios(2 males and 2 females) soon to be one crowntail male betta, and one small bristlenose placo (female). Any ways thanx! Love the site!
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

how do all the people have nice dencely planted tanks but no algae on the glass? I want to know the secret. If its otos then I could get alot! My placo is doing to great job though.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hi Puffer!

I use 2 cups sugar to 1/4 tsp yeast.....lasts about a week or so. Will start adding a 1/4 tsp of baking soda as a buffer. My Hagen Nutrafin system runs for a month or so with steady production and the only difference is the buffer( baking soda )...well the yeast may be a different variety.

As far as algae on the glass....I personally dont know anyone that does NOT have to clean the glass. I dont have to clean the glass in my 10 and 15 gallon tanks but the 100 gallon I need to because of spot algae. This does not mean that guys DONT clean their glass but I dont know of any that dont clean it at all.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Welcome to the board pufferfreak!

I use pretty much the same recipe as Mike, but I only use 1 1/2 cups of sugar and between 1/4 and 1/2 of a tablespoon of yeast. I have three of these bottles running on my 55 gallon and I replace a different one each week, so in essence, the bottles are lasting 3 weeks long.

As for using glass bottles. This is extremely dangerous. There are plenty of horror strories out there about DIY CO2 exploding. In glass this will be significantly worse. In plastic bottles you can get a certain amount of stretching, but none in glass. Even with how strong glass is, you'd be how strong the build up of gas is.

Kyle
Old 10-19-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

cool thanx guys do you have just one tube running in the tank or a couple from each bottle? Cool i will start on that and try to get one running today! thanx for all the help and when should i start seeing some progress in the plants from the co2. I got a new light but they haven't started growing better with it yet. Just had it like one week. Thanx
Old 10-19-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

and what does the bakeing soda do? How does it help and is it better then the just sugarwater and yeast? Would 3, 3liter bottles work? Thanx
Old 10-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

ok, got the top drilled and i am going to use rigid tubing and connect it too flexable tubing and how far does the rigid tubing go down too? All the way to the bottom or at the very top? I am going to use a hot glue gun to seal tight the tubing in the cap. The forumla that you gave me do you use just that? Or do you add alot more depending on the bottle size? Thanx for all the help, i am going to use the small forumla just to be safe. Thanx Is there anything else I need? Why do people buy the expensive stuff when you can just make your own?
Old 10-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #8
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

ok, could you tell me everything you do for your 55 because this chick on another site thinks its crap to do it one a 55 with a homemade one because she said the co2 is alot of waste on the 55 and that i would prob. kill my fish. Here is her reply tell me what you think. Sorry for it being long. I won't bother you guys as much. Sorry
what she wrote

the mixture is about 3/4 cup of sugar, 6 cups water, and 1 teaspoon of yeast.

there are a few things that you should think about before doing a diy yeast system though.

first you'll have serious co2 loss due to the high rates that you're going to have to run the reactors at in the tank. DIY systems aren't all that great in tanks over 30 gallons, they really don't have the pressure needed to properly get the co2 into the tank. so there's a lot of bleed off of the co2, and it might not be that effective.

second, if you have soft water and/or a low pH, diy co2 injection can cause serious fluctuations in pH levels, and thus kill the tank inhabitants. co2 lowers pH levels in tanks, which is another reason why many people chose to use them. but since a diy system will not give you a steady, reliable stream of co2, there is the very real possibility that your pH levels will fluctuate and large fluctuations can kill fish.

i'm not trying to deter you from building the system, but you should be aware of the issues that are involved in using this method. co2 can do some funky things to tanks, so you have to watch it carefully.

yes, you can easily kill your fish by having the co2 rate too high. if it is too high, an algae bloom probably will happen, but will also be the least of your problems. be sure to have adequate surface agitation, but don't use an air diffuser or all the co2 you put in the tank will go right out. just ensure that the filter out takes agitate the surface to allow for proper gas exchange.

as for bubble counting. the easiest way to do it is to make a bubble counter. this can be done by using a small glass or plastic bottle and a rubber stopper. make 2 holes in the rubber stopper and put tubing in them. one tube comes from your co2 source, and the other into the reactor. fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way with water. put the tubing from the side with the co2 under the water level, and the other one above it. then you can count the bubble rate to determine how much co2 is going in the tank.

i would suggest that you do not set this system up with the fish in the tank. if possible, put them in a holding tank for a day or two to make sure that you get the co2 levels right and don't harm the fish. here's two links that you should find helpful. one is about building a diy system, and the other is the relation between pH and co2 levels. you want to get your co2 at about 15ppm. this varies from tank to tank depending on your pH levels. this is why i would suggest doing it in an empty tank so that you can adjust the levels with out concern for the fish. i would start your bubble count at 1 bubble per second, and adjust from there. it's a good starting point, and allows you to get an idea of what effect the co2 is going to have on your water chemistry. also, be sure to check your Kh levels, they have a huge effect on pH and co2...

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html

http://www.aquabotanic.com/charts.htm

http://www.aquabotanic.com/aquamenu.htm
Old 10-19-2003, 08:50 PM   #9
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

It is nearly impossible to overdose CO2 in your tank with DIY. Also in that post says you should be wary of huge fluctuations in PH. If done correctly, you wont' need to worry about this. Her experiences, are simply very different to mine.

How many bottles did you use? What are you running the CO2 into? Do you have a reactor or are you simply running it into a filter intake?

The tubing coming in the bottle should be about 1/2" down and the water in the bottle should be about 2/3 to the top. It isn't very difficult it just takes some playing around with.

Good luck,
Kyle
Old 10-19-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

yea? Thanx i thought the same thing as you. I am going to experince with it form what she was talkin about. I guess her forumla is right? But I am going to use 1 3 liter bottle each week, and swap each week. Will have like 4 bottles 1 bottle each week. I allready made one bottle was going to justput it in my intake tube. So is there a possiblely of killing my fish? If not I will start it tonight!
Old 10-19-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
Pooks73
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Pooks73

fender, i made that post. maybe if you knew the history of pufferfreak, you would understand why i'm getting a little tired of his constant need to tell me i'm wrong, and use his age as an excuse for his rudeness and ignorance. he posts on fish-forum.com all the time, that's where i know him from.

injected co2 does run the risk of fluctuations in pH, especially when the injection rate is not constant. that's a basic risk of using these systems. there's a reason that pressurized co2 bottles are used in larger tanks over diy set ups. there are risks involved and i was trying to make him aware of those risks.

but honestly, i don't care. this kid has been nothing but rude and dismissive, and i'm tired of his attitude. he makes you think he wants to learn, and then says he doesn't care or understand and is doing it whatever way he wants. i'm stopping wasting my time trying to help him as i've spend the last few months trying to help only to be dismissed.
Pooks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM   #12
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

yea well, i was saying i am going to do it because fender said it was allright and I trust fender alot more then I trust you. I want to learn, i can see how fender is right and you are mixed just alittle with it. Ok......... and I didn't use my age as a excuse, i said since i am 15 i don't know what this stuff is that she is saying. I didn't know what the bubble counter was till dad showed me because he had one from his wine making kit. I'm sorry if i made you mad but you have to make sure a person understands what the objects are before you just start throwing these things of info to people.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:04 PM   #13
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Puffer, why don't you just hook up the wine jug to the tank? Get drunk and make co2 at the same time. Well.. maybe you shouldn't get drunk since yer only 15. But seriously? I was wondering if someone has tried that? My bro used to make beer at home and I was thinking of hooking it up to my tank, it's making co2 either way right?
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:10 PM   #14
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Ok guys personal issues are not to be dragged into the main forums. Please, if you have issues between you two resolve them offline, or in private discussion.

Please keep this topic constructive, and back on track.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:15 PM   #15
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

i was just explaining my side. I was also saying how i think i will go with fenders part instead of hers.