Couple Random Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Couple Random Questions

Hello, I've got a couple questions as the title suggests

I bought a female Platy. (I know, such a newbie move LOL) At firsst I said no Platies, but everyone liked them so I bought one. I fell in love! I then bought a second. Turns out the first is a male, second is a female, who was pregnant when I bought her. Well, I thought she was going to have babies today, so I moved her into the box, fed her well so she wouldn't (hopefully) eat her mini selves. Well, I was gone for two hours, and I think she gave birth and ate her children! She looks much thinner, and the crazy pooping spree has pretty much stopped. Now I feel like I failed, and I hate failing! I am now tempted to set up a ten gallon and put a trio of Platies in there so I can hopefully successfully breed them, and save some fry, so I can get rid of the fail feeling! I was wondering if there are any 'rare' types of Platies. If I do this, I would like to make a little change, although I know I won't make much. If there are no 'rare' Platies, what would be the best one to breed?

Also. If I decide not to do platies, what else could I do in a 10G? I think it would be cool to do a pair of apistos, but I've got lots of conflicting info on whether that would work or not.

TIA for any advice!!

Sydney
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
MamaFish
Planted Member

I have platies for the first time too, and mine also recently had babies (after less than 24 hours in my tank, LOL). I didn't bother to separate them, and the adults did eat most of them, but I think I have one left. The baby hides in the big clump of hornwort in my tank. Supposedly, giving the babies bushy plants and floaters to hide in gives them a better chance at survival. I'm not trying to breed a colony or anything, so if good plant cover lets 1/100 babies survive, that's fine with me! Maybe try having a small fry tank with plant cover set up for next time?

I don't know if there are any rare platies, but I have heard a few stories about people who earn a few bucks or store credit selling babies back to the LFS. I wouldn't count on it though, platies are pretty much a dime a dozen (literally, ) Now, there are some pretty rare/pricey guppies out there...

As for what else you could have in a ten gallon, I had a honey gourami when I had a 10, and he was an awesome fish. I highly recommend them! He would get along fine with your platies (though he would eat the babies!)

Last edited by MamaFish; 03-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot stuff!
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I use to breed mollies and the only way the parents didn't go to town on the babies was plants. I guess the babies hid in the floaters and background stems. That tends to help.

About rare platies, I am not sure but other livebearers have rarer forms. I have some Kohaku swordtails which are really nice. They are like Christmas striped but are albino too. Kinda weird but kinda cool

If you want to try other fish, you could always try micro fish that school like microrasboras. I am a fan of vietnamese white clouds as well. They are really hardy and very active!
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFish View Post
I have platies for the first time too, and mine also recently had babies (after less than 24 hours in my tank, LOL). I didn't bother to separate them, and the adults did eat most of them, but I think I have one left. The baby hides in the big clump of hornwort in my tank. Supposedly, giving the babies bushy plants and floaters to hide in gives them a better chance at survival. I'm not trying to breed a colony or anything, so if good plant cover lets 1/100 babies survive, that's fine with me! Maybe try having a small fry tank with plant cover set up for next time?

I don't know if there are any rare platies, but I have heard a few stories about people who earn a few bucks or store credit selling babies back to the LFS. I wouldn't count on it though, platies are pretty much a dime a dozen (literally, ) Now, there are some pretty rare/pricey guppies out there...

As for what else you could have in a ten gallon, I had a honey gourami when I had a 10, and he was an awesome fish. I highly recommend them! He would get along fine with your platies (though he would eat the babies!)
I think she had (and at them!) right before I shoved a bunch of plants in there... I was excited to see at least a couple gold twin bar platy babies!
What kind of guppies are rare and pricey?

I do love honey gouramis, but if I set up 10G, it would be for breeding, and live bearers eat their fry as it is... Don't need another fish on the hunt! LOL
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I use to breed mollies and the only way the parents didn't go to town on the babies was plants. I guess the babies hid in the floaters and background stems. That tends to help.

About rare platies, I am not sure but other livebearers have rarer forms. I have some Kohaku swordtails which are really nice. They are like Christmas striped but are albino too. Kinda weird but kinda cool

If you want to try other fish, you could always try micro fish that school like microrasboras. I am a fan of vietnamese white clouds as well. They are really hardy and very active!
I was thinking of microrasboras, but I am wondering how hard they are to breed?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

I haven't had experience breeding them but from those I have heard who own them, they are a pleasure. Vietnamese white clouds, I got them to breed without even trying. I found tiny little specks after selling all of them off and now I have 7 more.

I know people have been able to breed the Galaxy rasbora, which is now the Celestial Pearl Danio with success. The other stuff I am not sure.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Scrap those ideas (no offense pandamonium). If you want to breed something in a 10 gallon with guaranteed success, go with endlers! They are small, colorful and have great personalities. And they breed like guppies, which means you'll have babies in no time. And they don't eat the babies!! You'll have a trillion in no time....
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

None taken! Endlers and fancy guppies breed like fire! Yes if you are going for pure breeding, go guppies!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

No guppies......ENDLERS! hehehe......I hate guppies. I put one guppy in a community tank because my wife wanted one (she saw him in the ADA store and fell in love). He killed about 7 fish in that tank.....ate their tails. I HATE GUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Okay, so if I go with endlers (or guppies ) what strain should I go with? I don't mind paying more for a trio, I want to do something that people are interested in and I can sell more than .50 a piece! lol
Now, since I officially have MTS, I am thinking of setting up another 5 or 10 gal tank with a school of micro rasboras, a bunch of little spider crabs, a CPO, and a couple dwarf moth cat fish. I think that would be an interesting tank, don't you think? LOL
I'll try to keep myself happy with a goldfish pond, 25G, Mudskipper tank, DP Tank, Shrimp/Fry Tank, Betta Tank, 55G, 10G breeding tank, 5 or 10 gal weirdo tank... Hmm, that's a lot of water changes!! haha
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Got another idea for something to breed in a ten gal.... Killies!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Got another idea for something to breed in a ten gal.... Killies!
What type? I love killis and can likely point you to a seller with any breed and collection point/date you want!
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Hahaha, not sure what type. Not annuals, that's for sure!
I'd love it if you could point me to a seller, then maybe I could choose between killies, endlers, or guppies
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Hahaha, not sure what type. Not annuals, that's for sure!
I'd love it if you could point me to a seller, then maybe I could choose between killies, endlers, or guppies
Narrow it down to a breed for me and I'll find you a seller. If you want I can help narrow it down, what colors are you interested in getting? My personal favorite are blue and red gularis, but they are a bit expensive. Many of the Australe and Fundulopanchax (you know you've kept too many killis when you can actually spell that) varieties display beautiful coloration and are very active and suitable for community tanks also
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Narrow it down to a breed for me and I'll find you a seller. If you want I can help narrow it down, what colors are you interested in getting? My personal favorite are blue and red gularis, but they are a bit expensive. Many of the Australe and Fundulopanchax (you know you've kept too many killis when you can actually spell that) varieties display beautiful coloration and are very active and suitable for community tanks also
I too prefer the blue ones with large fins... Yeah, I am I newb with these also.

Tags
apistio, breeding, platy, rare, ten gallon