my first planted tank...please help :/ - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #61
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Oops - quoted. Well, about the epsom salts, I think you don't need cloride floating around the tank - bad for plants and fish. I kinda doubt that there is a magnesium deficiency - it's not NPK so likely there's enough in Comp or Trace. So don't do it.
There IS or IS NOT enough comp or trace? And this was a suggestion to me because of how the plants, especially the swords, are slightly transparent and not as green as they should be. But what else would cause this? All I've read is I have a lack of nutrients....but that shouldn't be possible with my tank's parameters.
But you do now have me questioning this even more, especially with the chloride comment....I just want a healthy tank!
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #62
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
Nvm. I figured it out
Figured what, the diffuser? I have read that some have been having a problem using it with DIY Co2. Yet I am planning to try it. Did you get it working?

Have you checked your nitrate levels?

What does NPK mean?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #63
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Figured what, the diffuser? I have read that some have been having a problem using it with DIY Co2. Yet I am planning to try it. Did you get it working?

Have you checked your nitrate levels?

What does NPK mean?
Yeah I got the diffuser to work. I had a leak. Glass bottles, and use rubber stoppers because they make a better seal. You have to drill through them to get the air hose through them obviously. And I have two generators, changing one per week so each goes for two weeks. Working very well actually.

I'll let you know what my levels are at when I do my next water change.

Nitrogen, potassium, and potassium. So in total I dose those along with comprehensive, iron, and excel on my water changes. All seachem products.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #64
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

*nitrogen potassium and phosphorous=NPK
Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #65
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Two weeks without any maintenance on the tank....which is why the ph is a little high. I usually use some 'easy balance' with water changes.

Ph- 7
Ammonia- .25
Nitrite- 0 to .25
Nitrate- 0 to 5
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #66
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just want to say one thing so we're all on the same page. Many knowledgeable people have assured me that a low-to-medium light low tech tank runs fine on fish food -> fish poop for P and K, Nitrogen from the dissolved compounds in the water, plus trace elements (Comprehensive) as directed. With that in place, any problems must be something else, or the light is wrong, etc.

Unfortunately, although Aquariology sits on some science, we don't have the equipment or the training to use it. So, it becomes an art. I am coming to the conclusion that for myself, a familiarity with what to do with a planted aquarium comes through personal experience, and there's no hurrying it along any faster. It *is* useful to find out what other people are saying about and doing with their balanced Planted Aquariums so it may be used when you get there.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #67
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Django! I understand what you're saying, it's just so frustrating to think I might have the solution...and then I'm back to the drawing board.

I'm going to be building a good for the tank hopefully in the near future. When I do I'm getting some different lights. Probably some T5's and get away from the LED's....much as I love they make the tank look
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #68
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Django! I understand what you're saying, it's just so frustrating to think I might have the solution...and then I'm back to the drawing board.

I'm going to be building a good for the tank hopefully in the near future. When I do I'm getting some different lights. Probably some T5's and get away from the LED's....much as I love they make the tank look
jonnyboy, good plans, but you still have to learn by experience. You know "overthinking?" Well, I think you're overdoing. You have to be patient and wait for the results to show in the plants, and try one thing at a time so you can find out what works and what doesn't. I'm not being critical and I'm trying to be constructive, to sort of set you in the right direction. I know it's frustrating when the plants aren't doing well, and you want to throw everything you've got at them. But especially in this particular endeavor, slow and steady, you know? I really hope you take this in a positive way.

Steven
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #69
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PS Put up some pics - they really help.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #70
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
PS Put up some pics - they really help.
This was after scraping glass and water change last night. The three longer sprouts on the rotala are the only thing that's grown in the last three weeks. Aside from the broad leaf on the left side of the tank. Rangeri and red melon swords are doing horrible....crypts haven't changed much basically ever. Ignore the baby tears....they're a failed attempt. I will put up more detailed pics tonight when I have time if anyone wants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	160761  

Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #71
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great picture! Just a couple of comments - the filter looks like it may be too small to circulate water around the tank, but that's not the problem. It might shed some light on the subject <ahem> if you looked up the light requirements of Rotala. It's doing well, so you will be able to see what intensity light you have. That's about it - none of the plants, that I can tell, have deficiencies.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #72
BigTom
Planted Member

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread and haven't read through the whole of it, but there doesn't seem to be much wrong with those plants. Low tech growth is always slow and sometimes very slow; your number one asset here is patience. Many of the plants you've chosen (the crypts and swords) have pretty low potential growth rates anyway, regardless of the conditions you provide.

If you want more plants, buy more plants. Then as long as they show stable, sustainable growth at any speed you shouldn't have any problems. A larger plant biomass will probably also help slow down your algae. Otos or shrimp would also be a good addition if you don't have any already.
BigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #73
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Rangeri and red melon swords are doing horrible....crypts haven't changed much basically ever. Ignore the baby tears....they're a failed attempt.
I am thinking that they would improve with KNO3.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #74
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Great picture! Just a couple of comments - the filter looks like it may be too small to circulate water around the tank, but that's not the problem. It might shed some light on the subject <ahem> if you looked up the light requirements of Rotala. It's doing well, so you will be able to see what intensity light you have. That's about it - none of the plants, that I can tell, have deficiencies.
Thank you! I have two filters to help circulate the water....also want to get a UV sterilizer to try to kill even more algae. Is it normal to get a bacterial bloom on a fairly mature tank? I haven't seen one in it for like 5 months, but have one now. And for the lights Hoppy has a par graph he made and I've been going by that
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #75
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTom View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread and haven't read through the whole of it, but there doesn't seem to be much wrong with those plants. Low tech growth is always slow and sometimes very slow; your number one asset here is patience. Many of the plants you've chosen (the crypts and swords) have pretty low potential growth rates anyway, regardless of the conditions you provide.

If you want more plants, buy more plants. Then as long as they show stable, sustainable growth at any speed you shouldn't have any problems. A larger plant biomass will probably also help slow down your algae. Otos or shrimp would also be a good addition if you don't have any already.
Well the plants aren't too bad right now, but I also pulled off the bad leaves during cleanup....but compared to how they looked when I bought them....the swords look horrible! They're not getting better or worse for the last month or so.
Don't bother reading through the whole thing haha! Lots of basics covered pretty much
And I do want to get some more foreground plants in a couple weeks.
I have 4 Amano's and 2 Otto cats.