my first planted tank...please help :/ - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #46
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does it matter if I add all my seachem products to my weekly water change or should I spread them apart? I'm doing a 40% water change every 10 days or so.

So I was thinking of dosing the comprehensive, trace, and excel with my water change. And a couple days later add the NPK dose.

Still have pretty bad algae on substrate and some on glass which is the main reason for my water change every 10 days. I'm hoping I can stretch that to a water change every 2-3 weeks....should I just keep raising the lights after every wc till Im happy with it? I'm at about 45-50 par and have 1 bubble every 2 secs going through my diffuser
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #47
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
Does it matter if I add all my seachem products to my weekly water change or should I spread them apart? I'm doing a 40% water change every 10 days or so.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
So I was thinking of dosing the comprehensive, trace, and excel with my water change. And a couple days later add the NPK dose.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Still have pretty bad algae on substrate and some on glass which is the main reason for my water change every 10 days. I'm hoping I can stretch that to a water change every 2-3 weeks....should I just keep raising the lights after every wc till Im happy with it? I'm at about 45-50 par and have 1 bubble every 2 secs going through my diffuser
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
If you're dosing trace, you don't need the Flourish Comprehensive. That's what Flourish Comp is for - same thing. Matter of fact, if you're running a low-tech tank, people have told me that for low light all you need is Flourish Comprehensive - the plants get the NPK from the new water and fish poop.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
I would raise the lights a significant amount, like 12&amp;quot;, and look at the tank from the front and see if there is enough light. Adjust as necessary, and decrease the photoperiod to 6 for a few weeks and see if the algae goes away. I found that doing weekly 50% changes helped with the algae, and I also removed the algae as much as I could manually. I had hair algae too (I think that's what you've got. Put up a pic and peeople will id it. I'll see if I can put up a link to help with the algae. Also, re-check the recommended dosage of Flourish Comp.

Last edited by Django; 05-20-2013 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: add info
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #48
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It does say that you can use comp and trace together on the bottle, but I will try using up the comp by itself first then. And that's what I thought with the NPK nutrients, but I guess since I rushed into getting a new light a couple months ago it puts me in the high tech? With what I've read and what I've been told the only thin that makes sense is lack of macros.
I'm doing a cleaning/water change tonight so I'll raise the lights another inch. Which will put me at 40-45 par according to hoppy's estimates. We will see if adding a low dosage of macro nutrients will help too. Thanks for the help dgango

And here's a pic of the worst of the algae on the bottom. The algae on the glass doesn't bother me too much. I just have to scrape it once a week. It's a whitish color on the glass, but green on the scraper. Got the black algae on the plants under control as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	145458  

Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #49
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
If you're dosing trace, you don't need the Flourish Comprehensive. That's what Flourish Comp is for - same thing. Matter of fact, if you're running a low-tech tank, people have told me that for low light all you need is Flourish Comprehensive - the plants get the NPK from the new water and fish poop.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
I would raise the lights a significant amount, like 12&amp;quot;, and look at the tank from the front and see if there is enough light. Adjust as necessary, and decrease the photoperiod to 6 for a few weeks and see if the algae goes away. I found that doing weekly 50% changes helped with the algae, and I also removed the algae as much as I could manually. I had hair algae too (I think that's what you've got. Put up a pic and peeople will id it. I'll see if I can put up a link to help with the algae. Also, re-check the recommended dosage of Flourish Comp.
Algae Identification/treatment: Algae ID/Treatment
Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #50
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

The link didn't work. But it's some brush algae on the plants, a little spot algae here and there on the glass....still trying to figure out for sure what the algae on the glass and substrate is. That's the worst of it but can't find good or matching pictures
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #51
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

GReen dust algae on the glass....perfect....and now I'm jus seeing and reading contradictions about other algae that I might have. This is very frustrating
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #52
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The link didn't work. But it's some brush algae on the plants, a little spot algae here and there on the glass....still trying to figure out for sure what the algae on the glass and substrate is. That's the worst of it but can't find good or matching pictures
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Algae ID/Treatment: http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

Last edited by Django; 05-21-2013 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #53
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

The only one I can't ID is what's on the substrate. But I guess it's not that important. I think the lights are where they should be now. And work on balancing the tank too I guess. Gotta get my hands on a Co2 indicator and possibly a uv sterilizer in the near future for the GDA. Thanks for the help chaps
Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #54
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Plants are still struggling. I was told to dose Epsom salts or magnesium chloride. I don't know how to dose these and have been reading through threads on here for a while now. Links usually don't exhist that are supposed to help, and I'm no chemist so I get confused with some things. I'm not going to dose till I know what I'm doing, but if someone can help me that would be much appreciated!

I have an old thing of Epsom salts. It says it's a 100% natural mineral. The brand is 'white mountain' if that means anything to anyone.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Algae Identification/treatment: Algae ID/Treatment
Sorry, it's this new editor. Click on this for the article: Algae ID/Treatment
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #56
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

I would first make certain you have good water circulation where the algae is.

The algae on the rocks looks like the green algae you get on the glass.

Dosing with substance like epsom salts can alter water parameters and thus kill fish. That is what happened with a ram I had.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #57
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the link Django! It did help after I found where you got the link haha

Algae is still existent but not a nuisance anymore. And that's why I'm trying to find a dosing chart for the Epsom salts....but it's the only thing I haven't tried for my plants! The symptoms point to lack of magnesium chloride....unless you can think of somethin else that I haven't tried?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Does it matter if I add all my seachem products to my weekly water change or should I spread them apart? I'm doing a 40% water change every 10 days or so.

So I was thinking of dosing the comprehensive, trace, and excel with my water change. And a couple days later add the NPK dose.

Er, I'm a little out of my league with NPK and LED lights. The plan to keep raising the lights sounds reasonable, if you want feedback from someone with only 14 months under his belt and not a fantastic record with my 10g tank.

I would concentrate as you seem to be doing on providing the proper environment so the plants will grow. I don't know about the NPK...you should ask in the parameters/ferts forum. Comprehensive and Trace are largely reduntant. Read the labels and find out which one has more contents. I have it from a reasonably trusted source that I wouldn't put formaldehyde or whatever Excel is, in your tank. It seems like the best advice is "Grow your plants." The algae will respond when the conditions are right and the plants are growing and have the needed light and ferts. Oh and do weekly 50% water changes - they will dilute whatever the algae is liking.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #59
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Er, I'm a little out of my league with NPK and LED lights. The plan to keep raising the lights sounds reasonable, if you want feedback from someone with only 14 months under his belt and not a fantastic record with my 10g tank.

I would concentrate as you seem to be doing on providing the proper environment so the plants will grow. I don't know about the NPK...you should ask in the parameters/ferts forum. Comprehensive and Trace are largely reduntant. Read the labels and find out which one has more contents. I have it from a reasonably trusted source that I wouldn't put formaldehyde or whatever Excel is, in your tank. It seems like the best advice is "Grow your plants." The algae will respond when the conditions are right and the plants are growing and have the needed light and ferts. Oh and do weekly 50% water changes - they will dilute whatever the algae is liking.
Oops - quoted. Well, about the epsom salts, I think you don't need cloride floating around the tank - bad for plants and fish. I kinda doubt that there is a magnesium deficiency - it's not NPK so likely there's enough in Comp or Trace. So don't do it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #60
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Well I tried the NPK cuz it made sense at the time. I dont do the full dosage of comp or trace. Just want to make sure the plants have their food. I only dose excel when I do a water change to help keep the Co2 balanced. My bubble count is usually only around 1 bubble every 2secs. Which I think is fine considering what my par is at now.