my first planted tank...please help :/ - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The crypts need richer substrate. Seachem Tabs are the best. Cheapest at LNT.com for they don't have any shipment charges.

I would add a siesta period of 4 hrs. Lighs on 4hrs 2xs.

What about Co2? Cheapest route is to dose with Cidex diluted. Excel contains 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. Excel alternative is Cidex 2% Glut matched to excel is dilluted 3:1 solution which is 75% metricide/ 25% water. Then dose 10ml daily until it dies. If you don't have fish in the tank lower the water and dose.

For the lights you might want to hang them to decrease the light to make it a low tech tank. Hoppy has info on that. Also Hyzer made his 29G tank with a T5O light strip

You basically need to decide if you are going to keep low tech or high tech. High tech is high maintenance and required injecting Co2. With high tech you can have red plants

Last edited by Hilde; 03-19-2013 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: added text
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #17
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mr. Hilde,
Thank you for the pointers! I was going to get rid of the crypts for something that will do better with my poor quality substrate. This is basically an experimental tank with my gf. She picks the fish I get some plants. So don't want to spend too much more money on it. I don't mind maintenance though.

I will try doing a 4hr cycle with the lights. How long in between the 4hr intervals?

If I lower the power of the lights wouldn't my DIY Co2 system and some EI dosing with KNO3, KH2Po4, and trace elements be sufficient? Im only gonna buy plants requiring moderate light, so I know that's limiting but it's not a big deal. I know the Co2 helped cuz I had that going before I got the new lights and noticed the new growth sprouting faster.

I basically want to keep my plants healthy and growth would be nice too. I now know overdid it with the lights, but using some 'neutral density filter sheets' would help right? I appreciate the help! I enjoy working on my tank, but don't have alotta money I can throw at it

Thanks
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
Mr. Hilde,
Thank you for the pointers! I was going to get rid of the crypts for something that will do better with my poor quality substrate. This is basically an experimental tank with my gf. She picks the fish I get some plants. So don't want to spend too much more money on it. I don't mind maintenance though.

I will try doing a 4hr cycle with the lights. How long in between the 4hr intervals?

If I lower the power of the lights wouldn't my DIY Co2 system and some EI dosing with KNO3, KH2Po4, and trace elements be sufficient? Im only gonna buy plants requiring moderate light, so I know that's limiting but it's not a big deal. I know the Co2 helped cuz I had that going before I got the new lights and noticed the new growth sprouting faster.

I basically want to keep my plants healthy and growth would be nice too. I now know overdid it with the lights, but using some 'neutral density filter sheets' would help right? I appreciate the help! I enjoy working on my tank, but don't have alotta money I can throw at it

Thanks
I answered the question you asked me, just to let you know.

Have you started dosing? Because that could be your algae problem. Finnex ray 2 is not an overwhelming amount of light especially with DIY co2. Now I think you just need ferts really bad!
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

If I lower the power of the lights wouldn't my DIY Co2 system and some EI dosing with KNO3, KH2Po4, and trace elements be sufficient?
Looks like you have the beginnings of BBA. Imbalance of Co2 causes that. A 4hr siesta helps balance Co2 with light output.
What is the filter output? How is the circulation where the algae is?

Didn't know you were injecting Co2. You can grow a lot of different plants when injecting Co2. Good possibility lowering the lights would work. It is a balancing act and the lights are the engine. Check out hoppy's threads on par of lights. Could you post a full view picture.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry Mitchfish I had alot of questions. I'm pretty much following your advice with the lighting.

And I just did a water change and dosed with Flourish excel and flourish comprehensive. Should I be getting something for macro elements as well? My DIY Co2 is slowing down and I still haven't gotten my diffuser in the mail...
Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #21
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hilde, As I told Mitchfish, my Co2 is basically non exhistent right now. I dosed flourish comprehensive and excel after a water change tonight. Should I take the Co2 out completely until I can keep it steady and actually have a diffuser?

I also replaced the dying crypts with a couple dwarf baby tears. And i added the plants in the back....don't remember what my LFS called them. And three amano shrimp to maybe help control the algae burst a little.

I truly appreciate you guys helping me and sharing your knowledge and opinions!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #22
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Actually I don't know the name of the plants in the back middle(newly added) or the ones in the back left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	109338  

Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

I don't see the algae in the full shot. Which plant is it on.

Your light is not very strong. Looks like the light I get from a 10w flood light, which is medium low light. With Seachem excel you have to dose at least every other day. I would dose at least 10ml daily until the algae on the plants starts turning brown.

The plant in the middle is Rotala Macradra v narrow leaf[ The addition of Seachem iron would help it stay pink.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #24
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well Im temporarily lowering the power with paper. It's much less powerful than it was.

And thank you for pointing out the plants

Here's a closer look at the algae. It's growing mostly on the sword

I'll try to get that pic up soon as possible. It's not letting me right now

Thanks for more pointers!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #25
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most of the algae growth is on this sword.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	110202  

Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Yeh that is BBA. It loves the crypts. I had a constant problem when my tank was new. Siesta period, excel and KNO3 helped me in the beginning. Have you checked your nitrates?

Last edited by Hilde; 03-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: grammar correction
Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! I mixed the bronze ones in with the regular. And awesome, hopefully I can balance it out soon. And I check them weekly. So far they've ways been around 20ppm
Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I check them weekly. So far they've ways been around 20ppm
That is at the max level range quoted by Rex Griggs.

Mine got up to 40 when I was over feeding my fish. Water changes was the only that lowered it.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
That is at the max level range quoted by Rex Griggs.

Mine got up to 40 when I was over feeding my fish. Water changes was the only that lowered it.
Just tested using the API pro kit and my results were,
PH- 6.8 to 7
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 0
GH-
KH-

The algae has def stopped or at least slowed down.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #30
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Yeh that is BBA. It loves the crypts. I had a constant problem when my tank was new. Siesta period, excel and KNO3 helped me in the beginning. Have you checked your nitrates?
Oh I thought you said, 'I love the crypts' hence the thank you haha