Low tech tank questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Low tech tank questions

Currently I have a standard 20 gallon planted decently heavy. I have a finnex fugeray light fixture with eco complete for my substrate. The plants are doing okay, I'm not dosing any ferts just top offs and about a 20% water change per week.

Just some questions. I'd like to get the colors of my plants greener and get them to look healthier.

1. Can I dose dry ferts if so walk me through them I'm completely new to them. Where to get them how to dose them etc.

2. Should I run co2 I've been thinking of setting up a paintball setup for the 20 gallon.

3. I have a case of diatoms. I've cut my photo period to 6 and a half hours, how do I get rid of them?

Thanks,

TECKSPEED

Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

1. Yes you can dose dry ferts, it's pretty easy if you follow EI dosing for low tech tanks. Here's the calculator I use for all of my tanks http://calc.petalphile.com/ you just enter how many gallons your tank is, select us gallons, click DIY, select which fert you're dosing, select dry dosing, then select EI low light/weekly and it gives you the amount to dose into your tank, and you can just dose the ferts dry right into the tank.

I use a digital milligram/gram/ounce scale to measure out the exact amount of each fert, so I would recommend getting one. So because you'll be following EI dosing for low tech, it means you'll only be dosing your tank once a week.

I have a 45 gallon long high tech tank so I use EI dosing weekly schedule like this

Mon/Weds/Fri - Macro's (potassium nitrate KNO3/monopotassium phosphate KH2PO4/Potassium sulfate K2SO4)
Tues/Thurs/Sat - Micro's Plantex CSM+B
Sun - 50% water change

2. Co2 will depend on how much lighting you intend to have on the tank, example - I have a 45 gallon long tank (48" x 13" x 19") with a T5HO quad lighting system which means I'm forced to have co2 because of the high lighting. With a low tech set up there's really not a need for a co2 injection system, and you can dose flourish excel which is a liquid carbon supplement for plants and replaces the need for a co2 injection system on a low tech tank.

3. Diatoms are very common in new tanks, and tend to go away after a few weeks as the tank matures. Also Otocinclus algae eaters love diatoms...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where did you get your dry ferts? GLA? Also I had an oto but he must of gotten taken out my one of my angels or platys. I'm not fond of them because after they clean the tank of diatoms I have had terrible luck with getting the to eat anything, not even cucumber. Amy other alternatives?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought if I start dosing ferts I would need co2? Plants rely on co2 heavily do they not?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
MondoBongo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKSPEED View Post
I thought if I start dosing ferts I would need co2? Plants rely on co2 heavily do they not?

depends on what kind of ferts, how much you're dosing, and how high your light is.

i am dosing micro nutrients to my low tech tanks right now, in addition to a liquid carbon source (SeaChem Excel).
Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:

I watched a video earlier where the kid was explaining dosing the ei method on a low tech no co2 tank. He only dosed the dry ferts once a week opposed to every day. Said hes seen no algae problems.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
depends on what kind of ferts, how much you're dosing, and how high your light is.

i am dosing micro nutrients to my low tech tanks right now, in addition to a liquid carbon source (SeaChem Excel).
I have a finnex Fugeray for my fixture and a 20 gallon standard tank, its 14" from light fixture to substrate. Also, the liquid co2 (SeaChem) gets expensive...
TECKSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
I watched a video earlier where the kid was explaining dosing the ei method on a low tech no co2 tank. He only dosed the dry ferts once a week opposed to every day. Said hes seen no algae problems.
Was he dosing all of the ferts at the same time? would he just combine them together on lets say monday let it go until sunday when he did a water change?
TECKSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Default Low tech tank questions

Quote:
Was he dosing all of the ferts at the same time? would he just combine them together on lets say monday let it go until sunday when he did a water change?
Yes exactly. He would get aquarium water, measure out the dry ferts and stir to dissolve in the aquarium. And still did 30-50% weekly water changes. He said he doses the ferts after his water change
Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have no co2 do you think that would work? I'm wondering if my light has high enough output

Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tom Barr has written some articles about low-tech tanks using no co2 and using excel. In the articles he describes dosing once to a few times per week.

Water changes are done every few weeks to months.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
Tom Barr has written some articles about low-tech tanks using no co2 and using excel. In the articles he describes dosing once to a few times per week.

Water changes are done every few weeks to months.
That's what this kids video was based off of. Tim barrs site
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where is the best price for dry ferts? GLA, or from a member on here? I'm battling diatoms right now they aren't too bad but still bother me. Will this help or hurt the cause, by adding dry ferts? I'm guess once I add ferts the plants will grow faster and out compete the diatoms for nutrients which will help the diatoms dissappear

Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
That's what this kids video was based off of. Tim barrs site
Figured so much. Just thought I'd mention it as why go to the kid when you can go to the master.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I get my dry fertilizers from GLA - http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

With a low tech tank you'll only dose once a week, whereas since I have a high tech tank, I'm dosing macro's 3 times a week, and micro's 3 times a week on alternating days like this.

Here's my weekly dosing schedule for my high tech tank...

Mon-Weds-Fri - Macro's (kNO3/KH2PO4/K2SO4)
Tues-Thurs-Sat - Micro's (plantex csm+b)
Sun - 50% water change

Whereas for a low tech tank your dosing schedule will be

Monday - Macro's
Tuesday - Micro's
Sunday - water change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.