my first planted tank...please help :/
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

my first planted tank...please help :/

I've had my tank for a few months now and am getting frustrated with my plants. They are not dying, but don't look healthy are are not growing.

TANK: 20gal 24Lx13wx17h
LIGHT:18" 15watt full spectrum
SUBSTRATE: 1/2 eco complete substrate. 1/2 quarter inch stones
FERTILIZER: Flourish Seachem. Weekly doses
TEMP: always right around 79 degrees
PH: around 7, but just ordered an API Pro kit to replace test strips
All other tests seem to be in normal ranges....according to test strips
FISH: 7 fish, 3 red cherry shrimp. just lost my Oto Cat
PLANTS: 2crypt parva, 1rangeri sword, 2bronze wendtii, 1lutea, 3noname grasses

My main question is why my plants arent growing. lights are on a 9hr cycle, I use weekly flourish seachem doses, weekly 25%-40% water changes always with conditioner....is it the lights? I just ordered a Co2 diffuser to go with my DIY Co2 system which will be in in a few days.
If you tell me to get better lights please give me some recommendations and/or links....I've been reading and shopping for the past couple nights and am really not sure which way to go. Theres so many options and brands and I don't want to buy the wrong one. Aqueon doesnt make a good versatile hood, so I'm ready to make a decent investment.
ANY advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	104042  

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	104050  

jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Definitely upgrade the lights! And if you are going with the pressurized co2, upping the lights, as well as upgrading to a dosing regimen(you can google EI dosing). Theres tons of options for lights depending on what you want to spend, but I would look at Hoppy's article in the Lighting section on this website. Learn about PAR, then make a light decision based off of that knowledge. But the light is the main problem your having right now in my opinion.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you Mitchfish! always nice to have reassurance. guess I'll jump into research mode and try to learn at least the basics. And I'm experimenting with the yeast and sugar Co2 system. I looked at pressurized and its def out of my price range. I actually set it up 4 hours ago with just a regular air stone till i get my diffuser in, and it looks like it about ready to start bubbling already. being cautious with it though.
as far as dosing goes, is there a basic 'all in one' mixture you would recommend? instead of buying everything seperately....

nice bowfront btw! that size will be my next buy cuz this tank is unfortunately a joint financial effort with my gf.....so she has to approve with all the plants i get.....and she doesn't like my 'overplanting' ideas....
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Redtail84
Algae Grower

Lighting options are pretty versitile with this type of tank. I personally am running 2 x 20 watt LED flood lights over my 20 long and am getting great results with the lights, DIY CO2 and twice weekly dosing of Flourish comprehensive. If you want to go T5 HO, you can start looking around online for a 24" fixture. there are several out there. I don't really have any experience with T5. I just know that I've seen a lot of different options.
Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: my first planted tank...please help :/

I have a dirted 20gal long tank with two dome reflectors with I think 13watt cfls. No co2 and good growth.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

thank you redtail. i have been looking at the T5 lights. would love LED, but theyre super expensive to get LED's that will actually benefit the tank. I'll def look into the Flourish Comprehensive too!
I have a while to do research for my next tank, but do like the idea of a dirted tank like coffeelove has
For anyone reading....are there any types of moss or a ground cover that would do good in a very low light situation? I'm thinking of having a cave setup in my next tank
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Mantis992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
thank you redtail. i have been looking at the T5 lights. would love LED, but theyre super expensive to get LED's that will actually benefit the tank. I'll def look into the Flourish Comprehensive too!
I have a while to do research for my next tank, but do like the idea of a dirted tank like coffeelove has
For anyone reading....are there any types of moss or a ground cover that would do good in a very low light situation? I'm thinking of having a cave setup in my next tank
Check out the 24 in finnex fugeray or possibly the finnex ray 2
Mantis992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

i like both of those actually! currently researching and pricing out the "LEDgroupbuy" DIY kits. satisfaction of building it yourself, and they look great. read nothing but good things about the site. thank you for the recommendations though!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a problem with plants not growing. And a similar Sword symptom. I dosed potassium and it has helped a little. But I had a plant with pinholes before I dosed. I think I'm missing something. Lighting is ok.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Django, Look into Flourish Seachem. They have many different dosage options. I'm still in the learning stage, but it sounds like you aren't giving enough nutrients. Mitchfish told me to look into EI dosing, (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html) which is what you ultimately need to do to keep a healthy planted tank. I'm going to try going by these guidelines to see what happenens. I also made a DIY Co2 system that is currently on 24/7 and have been watching my buds start to grow faster already!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks for the info Jonnyboy.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I went with the finnex ray 2 LED lights, and My amazon sword buds are growing a noticeable bit each day. still have lots of brown and pin holes on the leaves though. Will they go away? seems like its getting worse....or should I be dosing twice weekly?

Also, the day after I installed the lights my plants were pearling! next day I noticed alot of green hairlike algae starting all over the plants. Is that due to improper dosing or is it normal for a significant light change?

I'm looking for personal preferences on EI dosing please. Should I buy all my fertilizers seperately? or gradually switch from Flourish Seachem to a different fertilizer?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!! I'm still a wicked noob....
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a pic of the algae. I'll post a better pic of the plant once I'm home. There's also a soft white algae on the glass, and brown algae on the substrate/gravel. Gonna pick up one or two more oto cats to go with the one I already have and maybe some amano shrimp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	108418  

Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
kclone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

You went from a low light tank to a high light tank overnight! If your tank isn't heavy planted, algae will start to grow with the new light. I'll let other experts chime in, but you may need more CO2.
kclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

just read a little about neutral density filter sheets to reduce the light. I'll get some tomorrow and whatever else the experts may suggest. thanks kclone!