Help to identify this algae and ways to get rid if it - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Svitlana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

the plant is not real, should I remove it?
Please let me know what CO2 is and where can I get it and also parameters, I will check online, i am relly confused about it and now after reading all of your replies I realised that we have air (O2) and not CO2 in the tank.
Svitlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Svitlana
Algae Grower

hi, where can I get antibiotic? Also how do I increase plant mass? Please advise what will be the best plants to get? Your response is highly appreciated. As for the light I have Finnex Ray 24", got it on Amazon, should I keep it? Not sure what spectrum it has
Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svitlana View Post
hi, where can I get antibiotic? Also how do I increase plant mass? Please advise what will be the best plants to get? Your response is highly appreciated. As for the light I have Finnex Ray 24", got it on Amazon, should I keep it? Not sure what spectrum it has
If you are willing to invest in a Co2 system, that would be the best. Don't worry about the spectrum of light. I think you have enough.

You can get the antibiotic at any fish store.

To increase plant mass, simply buy more plants. You have the finnex ray so you can pretty much grow everything in your tank, of course with Co2 and ferts.

Hope that will have
karce87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

Couple of thoughts... excuse me if they are way off.

I think there are no real aquatic plants in this tank. So the whole discussion about light color, CO2, fertilizers and such is interesting, but doesn't really apply to this specific situation.

A clown loach in a 15gal tank does not work. Please return it to where you bought it from. Clown loaches grow easily over 10 inches, and really need a well filtered 100+ gallon tank, along with some like friends.

Silver Dollars need bigger tanks too, and will eat all your plants. Keeping "one of each" community fish makes them lonely and angry.

You could do some reading here at the website to learn about the basics. Somewhere you have to decide if you want live plants, then learn about their needs. Otherwise you will be wasting a lot of money.

There is no need to worry about the "spectrum" of your bulbs. There is no need to worry about CO2 in this aquarium. No need to increase plant mass at this time.

If you want a planted tank, first get rid of your over-sized fish. Then wash the whole tank incl substrate to get rid of most of the cyanobacteria. Buy a lot of aquatic plants (look for beginners package, hard to kill etc).

Before you do all of that, read up about substrates and fertilization. With lots of light plants will grow fast and need lots of fertilizer. Now "lots" can be very specific quantities, so don't ever think more is better.

Before you do that, decide if you want a high-tech tank (your light fixture points that way) which requires CO2 injection and NPK and micro dosing. Or sell the fixture and go with a less intense one for a lower tech tank.

Anyway, excuse the lecture. You have come to the right place, but keep in mind to take all advice with a grain of salt or two. Listen to all opinions, but draw your own conclusions.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Svitlana
Algae Grower

Thanks for your thoughts and advise. We wanted to keep the fish and plants if possible, we had the fish for a while now and my daughter likes it (might sound selfish) but I also want to have a healthy tank.
So taking all of the above, should I get CO2 and plants or just forget it.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I lived in the next town over. Avoid animal kingdom. Their plants carry all sorts of stuff and since you are a beginner avoid that. Go to petco in dabury and buy the plants found in tubes. Try swords first. They are hardy and easy to grow.

I encourage you to read about co2. It's expensive to start up and it's not something you set up in an hour. It's complicated. There's a sticky under equipment threads on the topic. Unless you have specific questions, the topic is too extensive to put in your thread. So you won't get much answers on that topic. You can buy liquid co2. The only place I found it was petco - API co2 boost. Follow the directions on the bottle for plant growth.

The biggest problem....you fish are not appropriate for plants. Unless you change your fish, plants will not make it in the tank. Please be aware as your fish grow they will die from not being in an appropriate sized tank/environment. Try guppies....your daughter will love them.

So if you keep your fish...plants are out. Then co2 is not nessecary. Co2 will not cure your algae problem. You can find the meds at pet land by traders joe.

If you want to grow plants, please do a lot of reading. It's not something where you plant a plant and that's it.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Svitlana
Algae Grower

thank you Sajacobs, unfortunately I got my plants from Animal Kingdom and I also got neons from Petco in Danbury, and a plant from Petco that was eaten that very night( So now I think I will try to get rid of bacteria, I am going to clean the thing, turn off the lights for 24 hours (I hope fish will be ok) and use antibiotics (probably will go to AK in Brewster again after work), I will hold off buying plants now unless I can get something that fish will not touch
Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Yeah our local pet stores are the pits. Every fish I bought from animal kingdom either dies or needs medications. I've started driving to Mohegan lake to petsmart. They have an outstanding snail and fish selection. Not many plants, but 3 isles of fish stuff. They have everything.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Fake plant, no co2, to much light, overstock.
Do a lot water change, go back to using the t8.

Or hang the light 4ft up.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #25
Svitlana
Algae Grower

Ok here is the update, i have cleaned the algae with a sponge, added T. C. Tetracycline to the water today, turned off the air pump and i want to turn off the lights for 24 hours as recommended. My concern is fish-will they be fine without light for 24 hours? Also i noticed that some of them got ick, i have bought ick guard (Jungle brand) and i am wondering if i should add it to the water now or should i do the antibiotics first and do ick guard after? As always all of your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #26
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svitlana View Post
Ok here is the update, i have cleaned the algae with a sponge, added T. C. Tetracycline to the water today, turned off the air pump and i want to turn off the lights for 24 hours as recommended. My concern is fish-will they be fine without light for 24 hours? Also i noticed that some of them got ick, i have bought ick guard (Jungle brand) and i am wondering if i should add it to the water now or should i do the antibiotics first and do ick guard after? As always all of your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.
I am not sure why you added tetracycline, as it will likely cause your aquarium to cycle again.

Your fish will be fine for 24 hours without light.

I believe Jungle Ick Guard uses Victoria Green - this will likely stain everything in your aquarium, so I would use it with caution. Rather than using medication however, it may be wiser to increase the temperature (ensure that there is sufficient surface agitation) to combat the parasite.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #27
Svitlana
Algae Grower

I have used the antibiotic to fight blue green algae bacteria.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #28
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

+1. Not all antibiotics are the same, or have the same effects. From the same manufacturer, EM Erythromycin would be the proper choice.

You're literally getting bombarded at this point with advice, ranging from beginner level to very advanced. Some of this advice is useless by itself - for example, upgrading the light without also upgrading fertilization, and possibly adding CO2, can easily cause more problems than it solves. And even if you did all of that, it may be massive overkill for what you're trying to achieve.

So my advice to you is - for the most part, stop listening to our advice. Tolerate the BGA for now and plant problems for now. Deal only with the most immediate threats to your fish, one being the ick. The other is possible damage to your biofilter/cycle from the tetracycline, so test for ammonia levels daily over the next few days. If you detect any, and aren't sure what to do about it, let us know - because it needs to be dealt with quickly.

And while you're doing that, read everything you can about planted tanks. With the info you gain, you'll be able to better sort out advice in the future.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #29
Svitlana
Algae Grower

Thanks Dark Cobra! Can i add ick guard now? At the same tome i have used antibiotic?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #30
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have used a similar ick medication along with antibiotics, no problem. But never that particular antibiotic.

And since the tetracycline is really the wrong antibiotic anyway, it's probably best to remove some of it. Do you perform regular water changes on that tank? If so, I'd go ahead and do a normal water change, including the water conditioner. If not, or you don't have a water conditioner, or anything else seems wrong or questionable - stop and let us know what the situation is.

As Darkblade said, the ick guard can cause some minor staining, nothing that's ever been enough to bug me though. And there are other ways to treat ick too. But let's keep it simple and go with the medication you've already got for now.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote