Beamswork LED Fresh Water Planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beamswork LED Fresh Water Planted

I'm planning to move my 75 gallon to a low light low tech planted tank. Currently only have plastic plants. In doing my research I get a little confused when trying to translate the requirements over to LED output.

I've been using the newer Beamswork Hi Lumen LED fixtures on a couple tanks and really like them. However, I presume they are not enough to support low light plants.

A new Beamswork fixture is being introduced as a Fresh Water Planted fixture and wanted opinions on if this would be suitable for low light to perhaps medium light plants?

Fixture Size: 48.00" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 54
3340 Lumens
Super energy efficient 1 watt HQ LEDs
46x 6,500K LEDs
8x 6,500K LEDs
Use 54 watts
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Brigh...TR-p/56269.htm

This is what I currently have, just curious if it would work for low light plants.
Fixture Size: 47.75" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 174
3900 Lumens
Super energy efficient 0.2 watt high output LEDs
162x 10,000K LED
12x Actinic 460nm LED
Use 38 watts
http://www.aquatraders.com/BeamsWork...48-p/56284.htm

A little more info, the 75 gallon will be what I'd consider a lightly planted tank, plants to accent the hardscape. I'm also planning a 125 gallon build in the next couple months and that I'm planning to be medium to heavy planting. Also, with my wife supporting these projects, she likes the shimmer effect and the moonlights, so I'm looking to LED first, but don't want to just try and get by either.

Thank you for your opinions.
joeyNdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

A 48" Finnex Ray II would provide low to medium light at the substrate if your 75 gallon has the typical 21" depth. No moonlights, however.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Beamswork LED Fresh Water Planted

I am doing a similar set up myself on a 72 bowfront. The light that Hoppy suggested to me was a finnex fugeray, which would place me into about medium lighting. It was also suggested to use Flourish Excel to keep from having algae problems.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Far too much blue light. Plants also need reddish - red light.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

I actually did look at that site today. But I just don't know enough about what I'm looking for so wasn't really sure.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyNdana View Post
I actually did look at that site today. But I just don't know enough about what I'm looking for so wasn't really sure.
I'll give you some help. This is the Sun's spectrum at sea level. Notice how the spectrum drops off in wavelengths shorter than 450nm.
Play around with the app on that site. It's not hard to get a close approximation to this spectrum with led's. You can get a CRI of 98 [ 100 is the max], a K temp of 5500-5900 and rather good PAR and a chromaticity of light that is white looking.
Attached Images

Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Default Beamswork LED Fresh Water Planted

I've been in some freshwater rivers and natural sunlight is not necessarily the best looking to the eye in terms of colors. Just my to cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
micheljq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello,

I am using this one : http://www.aquatraders.com/BeamsWork...36-p/56283.htm

For my 36" X 18" X 24" high tank, since more than 2 months.

Yes it's 10000K mostly and my plants are thriving. I grow easy plants like java fern, java moss, limnophila sessiflora, egeria densa, crypts.

Michel.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Great to hear that a couple of you have had success with a fixture that I currently have. So I may experiment with a couple Java Ferns and Anubias in the 75 for right now. I have a school of 8 Buenos Aries Tetras and those two plants are the only ones I've heard of that they won't bother.

I'll definitely be looking over the buildmyled sight again as well as the other suggestions. I really want to make the right choices as the 125 I plan on having quite a few plants and want to get off on the right foot.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
micheljq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anubias and java ferns do not require a lot of light. I think anubia would be fine even with the daylight from the room.

Michel.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #11
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Appreciate the input so far. I gave myself a headache researching my lighting needs today however every question I Googled led me right back to The Planted Tank forums. Some great info here, really happy I started posting.

So here is what I've come up with and would like your opinion. I'm going to experiment with my Beamswork fixture on my 75 to see how a couple basic plants will grow. Once the 125 is up and running the 75 will become a lightly planted discus tank, plants will only accent the hardscape.

For the 125 build with heavier planting, it appears to me the Finnex FugeRay might be what I'm looking for (2 - 36"). For the 22" high tank the PAR would be around 30 center, back of tank around mid 20's. Those numbers should have me at low light levels without c02 and my wife would still have her moonlights!

Your thoughts?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
micheljq
Planted Tank Obsessed

I cannot say for the Finnex I do not own one. I prefer let other people answer.

I am convinced Finnex leds are great. The only reason I do not own one is because I live in Canada.