My new 75 gallon high-tech planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

My new 75 gallon high-tech planted

Started my first high tech planted aquarium back in January with a 55 gallon. My 55 journal is here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=257530 I found the lack of depth in a 12" tank difficult to scape and provide enough space for the plants I wanted. So this past week I swapped out the 55 gallon for the 75 gallon. My cheap Petsmart stand already accommodated a 75 gallon, but after some modifications and reinforcing, it can now support a 75 gallon x 2. Or perhaps the 48" long 90 gallon? (just thinking ahead ) I also upgraded my Rena Filstar XP1 to a new Rena Filstar XP3 (dual canisters, also using a Fluval 306). I just need to upgrade my undersized heater. I am planning on the Fluval E 300W.

Size 75 Gallon

Date Started

Lighting
Catalina Aquarium 3 x 54W T5 HO 2 x 6500K and 1 x Plant Grow approx 3" above tank.

Equipment
Fluval 306 w/surface skimmer, Rena Filstar XP 3 with inline UV Sterilizer. Periodic polishing with H.O.T. Magnum and micron filter.

CO2
Pressurized Co2. 10 Lb Tank. Regulator custom made dual stage by TPT member "Bettatail".

Substrate
140 pounds of Eco-Complete

Parameters
Temp 76, gh 5, kh 5, ph 6.8

Fertilization
EI dosing using the Macro/Micro ferts from GLA. Daily dose of Seachem Excel. Osmocote+ root tabs.

Plants
(ever changing...)

Foreground: HC (Dwarf Baby Tears) & Glossostigma

Midground: Blyxa Japonica, Heteranthera Zosterfolia (Stargrass), Red Tiger Lotus

Background: Hygrophila polysperma 'sunset', Limnophila aromatica, Ludiwigia inclinata 'cuba', Hydrotriche hottoniiflora, Rotala indica, Mayaca fluviatilis, Ludwigia peruensis

Misc: Taiwan moss tied onto Manzanita branch

Inhabitants
13 Neon Tetras, 8 Rummy Nose Tetras, 9 Rasboras Espei, 5 Otocinclus, 2 Albino Corys, 2 Cory Bilineatus, 2 GBR, 1 SAE, 11 Amano Shrimp and 4 Nerite Snails.

Comments
Lights, CO2, and UV all on timers. Photoperiod 8.5 hours per day. CO2 On/Off half hour before lights. I use an RO/DI from bulkreefsupply and remineralize with GLA GH Booster and baking soda.

This was just replanted yesterday so it will be a couple of weeks before it fills in. I will update photos as it fills and/or make any changes.

Here are some pictures taken about 30 minutes ago. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1611.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	102658  

Name:	DSCN1603.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	102666  

Name:	DSCN1610.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	102674  

Name:	DSCN1606.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	102682  

Last edited by Dx3Bash; 03-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Dx3Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

It looks great even with it being newly planted! I think some Crypt petchii would look good if planted in front of some of that blyxa, it might soften the transition a little more and add some color too
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Awesome tank. Love that piece of manzanita
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just made and uploaded a 3 minute video of my 75 gallon planted aquarium. For the best viewing, please change the Video Quality to 720p HD. Positive feedback and/or constructive criticism appreciated. Thanks for watching and and enjoy the movie!

Last edited by Dx3Bash; 03-23-2013 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Turned down the filter flow a little today now that things have cleared up a nicely. My Rasboras Espei seemed to enjoy swimming though the down flow current towards the middle of the tank, which is evident in the first 30 seconds of the video above. Maybe I will turn it back up for the little buggers. I thought a few plants would uproot with both filters on max flow, but everything stayed in place.

I'm looking forward to all the plants filling in, especially the Blyxa and Stargrass.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
Tetrameck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gorgeous tank. Loved the video. Everything already looks crazy nice, so i can't wait to see this tank after another month. Bravo!

Last edited by Tetrameck; 03-15-2013 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: n/a
Tetrameck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just uploaded a quick one minute video to my Youtube channel regarding my new 75 gallon planted. This was my week 1 update on the new tank. Everything is growing nicely and filling in. My Taiwan moss is really growing great and spreading on the manzanita branch. I did lose a little stargrass on the tank swap (55 to the 75 gallon), but it's coming back nice.

I just picked up a young male GBR last week to go along with my young female GBR. This morning I noticed they had already spawned. About 100 eggs on top of rock. I have no intentions on trying to raise the fry, but if some survive in the 75, that would be cool.

I will be replacing my Atomic Co2 diffuser. It is putting out larger bubbles. I tried cleaning is yesterday by soaking in bleach, but it actually seems worse today. If anyone has a better way or a tip on cleaning the Atomic diffusers, please let me know. I plan to either buy or build an inline reactor.

My YouTube Channel. Please visit and subscribe

Last edited by Dx3Bash; 03-23-2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: New YouTube channel
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

You may be surprised how many fry survive with no help from us. I had Kribs once that bred several times. I never did anything to help raise the fry. The little babies just went around the tank picking at the moss and plants grabbing whatever they could. I would feed the parents somewhat regularly and eventually the fry were eating the same food. A large number would survive and eventually were traded in at the LFS.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a quick journal update.

Day 11 of the new tank.

Had a little touch of hair algae growing on my moss and HC. I spot treated this past weekend with H2O2 and made a slight adjustment to my lighting schedule. It has all disappeared and I see no signs of it returning.

My GBR eggs got devoured the first night. My guess would be that one of my 11 Amano Shrimp got to them. Second guess is maybe a cory. I may pick up a small 10 gallon and try raising a batch, but my focus is more on my new low-tech planted 75 gallon Discus tank I am planning to set up. I have a brand new unused 75 just sitting around. Time to put it to use! I am planning 6-7 Discus, all different color varieties. Clean up crew will be 6 corys and perhaps a few ottos and nerite snails. Plants will include swords, crypts, anubias, java fern and maybe some val.

Here is a pic of the high tech planted 75 taken tonight. Ignore the Co2 bubbles in the water. I plan to replace my Atomic Diffuser for an inline reactor very soon.

To view a quick video of my tank, click the link in my signature below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1635.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	109250  

Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #10
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

It's filling in nicely!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a quick video update on the planted 75 that I posted on YouTube a few days ago. Its been 3.5 weeks since I swapped my 55 for this 75 gallon. I talk about the plant growth and my new Fluval E300 heater. Also added the Finnex Max-300 Heater Controller. The tank is very healthy and everything is growing crazy fast.

This second video I just posted today. I discuss and review the Finnex Max-300 Heater Controller I added to the tank.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
klibs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wonderful tank!
I will have a very similar setup to you (currently dry starting some HC)...
I have the same light ballast as you do - do you find that it is sufficient for the high-tech 75G setup or would you ever want more light than just the 3x 54W?
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote