Screw in LED bulb for aquarium? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #16
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

$38 is craziness for a light bulb! For that, spend the money on a nice fixture for the tank. You can easily find one for the same price of three of these bulbs.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #17
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

dwarf baby tears will grow in low light as long the plant is getting what it need.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #18
Basil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'd rather pay $38 and then not have to replace the bulb for 5~8 years depending on run time and how well constructed the driver/heatsink of the bulb.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #19
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
$38 is craziness for a light bulb! For that, spend the money on a nice fixture for the tank. You can easily find one for the same price of three of these bulbs.
Yeh might be better with a ray2 instead
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
You'll want to use par38 bulbs like this. Next best thing are the EBay flood LEDs. Probably want the 20watt or higher. And you'd probably want to run three of either light choice to get the coverage over the entire tank.
what are some good cheap flood lights on ebay? I would only need 2 of these for the 40b...

My gut is telling me to get a ray2 and pay a little bit more... have a feeling ebay floodlights will break down fast.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Screw in LED bulb for aquarium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
I'd rather pay $38 and then not have to replace the bulb for 5~8 years depending on run time and how well constructed the driver/heatsink of the bulb.
I hear you. But when you multiply that by 3 or 4, it's just kinda hard to justify when you can get a nice led fixture for around the same price (like the Ray 2).
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you really want led bulbs you can get 6500K bulbs which sends out 900 lumens for 20$ approx. on eBay or here : http://www.lightinthebox.com/fr/e27-...s_p291306.html

That would cost you like 80$ for 4 bulbs. I would not pay more than 20$ for one of those.

CFL bulbs would be a lot less expensive, 5$ for a 23watts - 6500K bulb, where I live.

They have advantages, you can hang them easily, adjust the height to the water, if one break, you just have to replace one bulb, not all the fixture, etc.

Michel.

Last edited by micheljq; 03-15-2013 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: added details
micheljq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
If you really want led bulbs you can get 6500K bulbs which sends out 900 lumens for 20$ approx. on eBay or here : http://www.lightinthebox.com/fr/e27-...s_p291306.html

That would cost you like 80$ for 4 bulbs. I would not pay more than 20$ for one of those.

CFL bulbs would be a lot less expensive, 5$ for a 23watts - 6500K bulb, where I live.

They have advantages, you can hang them easily, adjust the height to the water, if one break, you just have to replace one bulb, not all the fixture, etc.

Michel.
I was going to go CFL, but my buddy said those bulbs need to be replaced every 3 months or they start growing algae...

another thing I need to think about is I would have 2-4 bulbs that would need to be on timers.... = extra money compared to 1 cord on ray2 fixture (plus its a cleaner look).
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had to change the CFLs after maybe 4-5 months because they were failing, never saw personally any algae increase/correlation because they were old though.

You can put 4 CFLs on same timer, the max wattage the timer can take should be written upon it.

Michel.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
I was going to go CFL, but my buddy said those bulbs need to be replaced every 3 months or they start growing algae...
Sounds like your buddy is taking the easy blame route. There is a LOT to algae besides lighting, and what solves algae in one tank might not work for another.

Simply put, light is light, regardless of the source. The plants don't care if you're getting 900 lumens of 6500K light from a twisty bulb, a straight tube, or LED. Algae is caused by an imbalance of Light, CO2, and nutrients.

That said, the CFLs have never been reliable for me in dry environments, such as bedroom lamps and such. I can only imagine what havoc a damp environment like an aquarium hood would do to the driver circuitry (which is the most common failure on the CFL... too much high voltage on cheap components in too close of a space.)

When it comes to lighting fixtures, you often get what you pay for. A solid brand commercially produced LED fixture is going to give you much more joy than a home-brew concoction of lighting devices. You'll also have much better warranty and community support for the fixture.

Your Tank, Your Money, Your Prerogative.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
I had to change the CFLs after maybe 4-5 months because they were failing, never saw personally any algae increase/correlation because they were old though.

You can put 4 CFLs on same timer, the max wattage the timer can take should be written upon it.

Michel.
What timer are you speaking of? The one on drfosters has 2 outlets for daytime.. what fixture are you using to put the cfls into? - I would most likely use screw in led bulb if i went this route.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
What timer are you speaking of? The one on drfosters has 2 outlets for daytime.. what fixture are you using to put the cfls into? - I would most likely use screw in led bulb if i went this route.
Cheap timers at the hardware store, does not matter if there is only one outlet, plug the 4 CFLs on a 4 to 1 plug than the plug in the timer, excuse my english. Make sure, the timer can handle the total wattage of all lamps.

For the CFLs, you can buy cheap table lamps, even just sockets at the hardware store, easy to suspend, you can screw led bulb instead if you want.

Well, of course, it won't be as neat as one Finnex fixture, I agree.

Michel.

Last edited by micheljq; 03-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: typo
micheljq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
any good high par LED screw in flood lights that would work then for 40b growing dwarf baby tears on substrate?
I came across this led bulb recently and posted about it..

For those that might like this type over the common linear form. Though this light is intended for corals it looks like it would be useful for planted tanks too. There are photos to look at.
Radion Pro’s eight color LED cluster brings out incredible coral color rendition

Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Will 2 30watt led flood lights be enough for medium light in 40 breeder and will it spread well?

I plan on having the lights about 16-18" above substrate to grow dwarf grass hair.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am using a couple of screw in led bulbs on my tank and i am liking them alot.
I think you can make them mutch nicer to look at than a flood led lamp, if the lamp is going to be viseble the looks is importent i think.

Here is the lamp i made
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...946&highlight=

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.