green house pond and garden
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

green house pond and garden

I am going to be putting in a green hoses that is roughly 10ftx8ft
thinking of having a pond and hydroponic veggie garden.
what would you do with a 10x8 greenhouse
scotty b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
aquanauts
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Floor:Plant Stock Pond(s)
Back Side: Fry
Left Side: Aquariums with Plants
Right Side: Aquariums with Plants
aquanauts is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
nayr
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am planing a 12x12 greenhouse because its the biggest I can build in my area w/out a permit

next to it I am digging a ~1200gal pond, this will be between my existing garden beds and the greenhouse.. I am going to have the pond actually come inside the greenhouse slightly, I was thinking a tunnel made of cinder blocks... This will give fish a hiding spot indoors from predators, allow me to pump water in/out of the pond from inside the greenhouse and keep the inside portion ice-free in winter.. Were going to have to go 4ft or deeper to keep it from freezing solid here. Where the pond comes into the greenhouse will probably be covered in grating and all the pond equipment will be under a raised plant bed as to not take up too much floor space.

Inside the greenhouse I was going to do a few large ebb/flow hydroponic trays filling and draining from the pond, dosing using aquarium nutrients so its safe for the fish.. A 100lb propane tank with a heater so I can start my garden in April.. my goal is to make the greenhouse and pond solar powered, running pumps, filters, fans all off batteries and solar panels.

On the other side of the greenhouse from the pond ingress I was going to dig a small root cellar deep enough to store bulbs over the winter... Were not planning on heating it all winter, just early spring and late fall as needed with a thermostat.

I am demolishing a shed in the area this summer and preparing to start on the greenhouse first.. I am at best a few years out from seeing my plans completed... Ive got concerns over snow loading so will probably build mine a very steep roof
Old 05-31-2015, 03:34 AM   #4
CannaBrain
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr View Post
Were going to have to go 4ft or deeper to keep it from freezing solid here... Ive got concerns over snow loading so will probably build mine a very steep roof
What makes you think it needs to be that deep? I work in a greenhouse in water garden dept. I've got ppl who over-winter goldfish in about 24" of depth. Koi do need at least 3 ft, though, and again ppl have not cited issues when they've got 36". As long as you've got a hole in the ice for gas exchange (which you'd have in your green house), you should be fine.

And yes... that same greenhouse collapsed in some areas back in late 80's after very heavy snow. Extra supports were installed that only do anything when there's enough weight on the roof to force them to the ground; you can swing em during the summer, but they're pressed solidly to the ground when there's much snow. Also, I think they switched the roofs of the collapsed area to rounded tops after the collapse.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
nayr
Planted Tank Obsessed

well I suppose its not only to help the fish winter possible extended stretches of below zero without worry but its also to help keep them alive with abundant urban predators about.. I have native raccoon and fox populations in the neighborhood I have to worry about.. havent seen any herons or bird predators around.

I am going to dig as deep as I can get, and since my yard is mostly sand I think I can get pretty deep.. My pond's footprint is not going to be huge so I am going deep to get the gallonage I desire.

My wife wants me to attach a small coop to the greenhouse so she can keep some ducks for eggs, however I am not sold on that idea yet.. I am afraid there going to pollute my pond.

looks like we got some colorado interest in greenhouses and fish ponds, who'd of thunk? What greenhouse do you work for if you dont mind? I frequent many in the area.. there family outings
Old 05-31-2015, 04:04 AM   #6
CannaBrain
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tagawa Gardens Ironically I know several other people who are looking to build greenhouses, as well as loooots of customers coming in lately looking for greenhouse kits, which we don't really carry. Yeah I can imagine you have a lot more 4-legged predators out that way. In more southeastern Aurora, there's lots more open, natural spaces (Plains Conservation Center, Aurora reservoir, Cherry Creek reservoir and all the trails leading to and from each). Consequently, blue heron, snakes, and raccoons are probably the most active fish eaters in my area.

Extra depth to avoid predators would probably be wise, indeed

*Edit: Didnt even realize scotty b was the OP LOL. Velvet blues I got from you are still a kickin
Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

all the coloradans helping with ideas , nice
I cant have a in ground pond , was thinking of heatin the greenhouse with something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNViUsRCVU

maybe a ibc tote pond
scotty b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Do you mean aquaponic not hydroponic? Aquaponic uses fish to provide nutrients to plants, hydroponic you have to dose nitrogen and other ferts yourself (no fauna help)... seem silly to have a separate hydroponic system when you can just plumb the pond to a gravel bed and do aqyaponic.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
nayr
Planted Tank Obsessed

aquaponics is merely a combination of hydroponics and aquaculture.. its not distinctly separated, its the same technology fundamentally.

my pond will basically be my nutrient tank and I'll be growing them exactly as I have in other hydroponic systems, except I wont be feeding ammonium nitrates and instead will use the nitrifying bacteria bio-filter... suppose Aquaponic would be a more appropriate term but its still a Hydroponic garden IMHO.. especially since I dont intend on continuously pumping the pond through the greenhouse, only intermittently 2-3 times a day.

Ive seen some nice IBC tote ponds, I like that you can keep em deep..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.