quarantine process
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
vee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

quarantine process

I have another addition to my blog about new fish quarantine process. Thanks for reading!

http://www.manyhatsofme.com/2013/03/...-aquarium.html
vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

nice thread but (imo) your timeline is too short.
Treating and purging takes 30 days or more. Watching for symptoms alone is not enough.
Put together a thread here and soon to add an entry covering Mycobacterial diseases of fish.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...137&highlight=
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
vee
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Treating and purging takes 30 days or more. Watching for symptoms alone is not enough.
Put together a thread here and soon to add an entry covering Mycobacterial diseases of fish.
Thanks for reading. Some of the treatments I've used are between 10 to 21 days. I've never had to do 30. Looking forward to reading your thread.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
vee
Algae Grower

Quote:
I read your quarantine post and I see why you can have a 30+ day quarantine with very little fish death. I would love to have a ready made planted tank for QT. My only thought would be how do you sterilize the tank after QT if you have a major outbreak? I guess that would mean to dump everything out, bleach, and start again.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nice article. Thanks for posting.

I've had a couple rams I bought from petco less than a week ago in an established QT. They are super healthy and eating well with nice coloration. I don't think I"ll be able to wait much more than 10 days, and I'm pretty sure 45 isn't going to happen!!
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee View Post
I read your quarantine post and I see why you can have a 30+ day quarantine with very little fish death. I would love to have a ready made planted tank for QT. My only thought would be how do you sterilize the tank after QT if you have a major outbreak? I guess that would mean to dump everything out, bleach, and start again.
It's mentioned in the thread but yes, in the event of virus or other pathogen entry the plants are destroyed and the tank cleared.
The cheap substrate is pennies a pound to replace or it can be boiled and used again.
The tank, heater, filter misc hardware etc. are washed/scrubbed down with 3% hydrogen peroxide and allowed to air dry after cleaning.
Then everything is sprayed down with 70% or above rubbing alcohol maintaining a wet surface area for at least 1 minute then water rinsed and dried again.

Reload, replant with trimmings and start all over. I see this as little loss for the peace of mind.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
vee
Algae Grower

Quote:
It's mentioned in the thread but yes, in the event of virus or other pathogen entry the plants are destroyed and the tank cleared.
The cheap substrate is pennies a pound to replace or it can be boiled and used again.
The tank, heater, filter misc hardware etc. are washed/scrubbed down with 3% hydrogen peroxide and allowed to air dry after cleaning.
Then everything is sprayed down with 70% or above rubbing alcohol maintaining a wet surface area for at least 1 minute then water rinsed and dried again.

Reload, replant with trimmings and start all over. I see this as little loss for the peace of mind.
I'm really liking our idea of a planted QT tank, but I'm thinking at a very small scale of a 10 gallon tall to reduce footprint. I don't buy tons of fish and a 10 gallon tall would be about right. I'll give it a try and post later on when everything is cycled. I'm planing to get some rams which, from my experience, do not like QT at all. The plants will make them much happier I'm sure.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
vee
Algae Grower

thelub - thanks for reading

Tags
new fish, quarantine