The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tiger Barb Male or Female?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nickdu 
#1 ·
Are they both Male, both female? Or which one is which?
See attached photos.

Breeding is difficult? easy?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The bottom picture, the barb is much fuller in the belly than the top pictured barb so i'm thinking i have one of both but i can never be too sure. I am looking for a good 20-30 gallon tank to use as the breeding tank. Need to set one up to try it out.

According to the description in this video, i have one of each it seems.

#4 ·
Tiger barbs do best in larger schools and when kept in groups of 6-8 will actually diffuse their nippy behavior. It seems that when the do not have a social heirarchy to disperse their inquisitiveness it promotes some antisocial behavior. I imagine that you'll easily have a pair if not more with a school that large.

#5 ·
I had a pair that large. Larger, if i remember 8 of them, but when you put the feeding responsibility on the hands of someone else, all hell breaks loose in tank. Most of my fish died while i was on vacation for a while. Didn't stock too much this time. They are not nippy actually and not all that anti social with just my two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.