Video: time bomb feeding ground
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
GarnelenTom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Video: time bomb feeding ground

Hi all,

A new video I made, Title: time bomb feeding ground
It is spoken in German, but you should understand what it's about.

Greetings,
Tom
GarnelenTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (385/100%)

Thanks for sharing Tom.

Would you be so kind to upload the same video with English subtitles for us non German speakers?

Really interested to hear what you're saying.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Looks like after a while he's pulling out all the gravel around his feeding dishes to keep the water quality up. My German is lacking, but that's what I got from it. Digging the pron tuneage at the end. Thanks for the post! Anybody know the name of those green and white ones?
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i would like to know what kind of shrimp are at 1:23 they look like aqua/green neo's of some kind. and are those panda or crystal blacks at 6:02?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

ok let me try this. One disclaimer, it's still difficult for me to switch languages during live translations, so the grammar might be a bit lacking. I will try to clean it up later.

He starts out with explaining that he will now show us a reason why in older shrimp aquariums oftentimes problems exist such as babies not surviving or in the worst case scenario, shrimps dying. He then says that partially this is due to the amount of germs in the tank, but he wants to be more specific. He explains how there is a lot of debris created when shrimps feed, since they don't really take of chunks, but they rather shred the food. (the food is a hokaido pumpkin chip). This debris can be seen by watching the particles that are swept away in the current. The other aquariums inhabitants like snails, seed shrimp (ostracods), etc. will eat a lot of the left overs. Sadly they won't be able to get all the particles and those particles will disappear into the substrate, unreachable for any inhabitants. These particles then start rotting. Usually you can't tell, because dark substrates are being used, so he shows using light substrate what it looks like. He demonstrates (around 1:06) that that yellow strip in the substrate is due to the pumpkin chip debris. 1:17 is the same case (the yellow strip due to pumpkin food). Then he explains that he will examine a feeding corner more closely (1:27). He mentions that any snails or other inhabitants were later collected out of the bucket and put back into the tank. He mentions you can already see all the "dust" coming from under the root, but there will be more. He warns that if one does suck up a feeding corner like that that you have to make sure to get everything otherwise it'll lead to dead shrimp, which is something he already had happen when he wasn't careful a previous time. In other words, nothing good will come out of that corner for the shrimp. While he is vacuuming, he explains that all the darker substrate is rotting and that it looks like that in every aquarium where one feeds like that. Only, due to dark substrates one doesn't see it.
What you can see directly is that the main rot is right where the food falls into the tank. He mentions that he uses a small oxidator in all his tanks (not sure about the translation). This is a machine that creates pure oxygen, one for the shrimps and also because the oxygen oxidizes some of the nasty compounds created in these rotting patches. Only the mini oxidator can only use to help, it won't solve the problem. Another tip, using powder to cap the substrate (all together 3cm thick) will generally decrease the food disappearing into the substrate. The substrate that was vacuumed out is very smelly. He then shows a method to significantly alleviate the problem with food and increase the life time of a shrimp tank. Using feeding dishes (pushed into the substrate or just placed on top) So how do you put the food in the dish without getting your hands wet? Using a feeding tube. It works for chips, or other larger food items. Small granulates can be put into the tube using a funnel. Larger granulates require a larger funnel, smaller granulates a smaller one. Shrimps can run off with the food which is either due to them being too hungry (too little feeding) or if there are so many shrimps present that they start fighting over good spots to reach the food. To prevent shrimps running off with the food, either feed more, or use a second feeding dish in the tank and feed simultaneously. In the dishes, you can see how the debris falls off the food particles, yet the debris won't disappear into the substrate. And the shrimps don't seem to mind. Since every food produces this debris he makes sure to place everything into the feeding dishes. If the shrimps decide to run off with a piece, the amount of debris is much reduced and the problem not as large as without a feeding dish. He then says these feeding dishes can be bought in his shop in different sizes. Same with the feeding tube.
Around 5:44 in the CBS tank he explains that there have been issues for some time now (no specifics into what issues). He then placed a feeding dish on top of the feeding spot. Due to the dish, he now understands why. The rotting substrate creates hydrogen sulfur gases that collect under the dish. A definite sign that the shrimp keeper has to do something about that since these gases are extremely toxic to the shrimp. Also the gases smell like dung. He shows and says how he also vacuumed that corner and that he just speeds up the video. You can definitely see the rotting layer and how far away from the actual area of feeding the food debris will travel and how far the rot has moved. At the end he says he just lets the video end with a few impressions. Good bye!

Hope my English isn't too terrible.

Last edited by Hobbes1911; 03-10-2013 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: english
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

hope this helps guys. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll try to get answers.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i would like to know what kind of shrimp are at 1:23 they look like aqua/green neo's of some kind. and are those panda or crystal blacks at 6:02?
black bees so cbs
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Thanks Tom and hobbes!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Hobbes, that was a lot of work! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

bare bottom feeding area is what I do now to avoid this.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Video: time bomb feeding ground

Hobbes, thanks. That was much appreciated.

Does anybody know where to get a SMALL feeding dish?
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Hobbes, thanks. That was much appreciated.

Does anybody know where to get a SMALL feeding dish?
han has some i think
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Video: time bomb feeding ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post
han has some i think
Yeah I saw he sells them. I'm just wondering how big they actually are. I only ever see them measured in MM and in close up shots lol.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

oooooooo.... I like the glass feeding tube he uses. Is this available in the States? first time for me to see it
abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

i just use one of those clear plastic tubes you can find at home depot. No need for fancy since it's just a tool