WP's 10 gal - Seasons of a Planted Tank (256k!!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

WP's 10 gal - Seasons of a Planted Tank (256k!!)

Most tank journals start at the beginning... this one starts at the end. I enjoy watching sequences of planted tanks developing over time. This is mine.

Oct 2003 - Here is how it started, with the purchase of the tank and some "Black Beauty" substrate:

A lonely Oto and a clam were the first inhabitants.

Dec 2003 - Five dwarf pencils and later a blue ram joined the club. Glosso is spreading under 20W light, the original mountainscape is covered up by Java Moss, things are going too well:

Jan 2004 - Decided to start over. A more massive Mountainscape, and Flourite instead of the Kitty Litter and Black Beauty:

Feb 2004 - Almost immediately I am in algae hell. Was it the Flourite, or the lack of fast growers? Fluffy brown algae covers up everything.

April 2004 - For four months, I stare at my tank and try to figure out what's going on, while telling others how to fight algae. With 1 part CO2, 1 part NO3/PO4, 3 parts water changes, and 5 parts patience the algae finally recedes:

May 2004 - Things are coming together, the Java moss wall is lush, and it's time to pull out some of the collectoritis plants:

July 2004 - Java moss wall is being replaced with a Christmas moss wall, which looks nice after 4 weeks. Much more compact than the fuzzy Java moss. Tank is being overrun by Cherry Shrimps.

Oct 2004 - Pulled out the moss wall since it isn't going with the mountainscape theme. Not happy with aquascaping, but finally got plants to grow.

Jan 2005 - Bragged about balanced tank. Aquascaping phase starts:

August 2005 - Reduced plant variety to mostly green, slower growing plants. Enjoying tank quite a bit.

Jan 2006 - Will post a most recent shot of the tank soon. Things are going well. Added 3 male and 3 juvenile Endlers (thanks Bill!) to keep dwarf pencils some company. Christmas moss tree is growing well. Removed Hagen ladder (eyesore), CO2 goes into HOB filter. Dreaming of rimless tanks with glass lilies growing in them.

Feb 2006 - Here is the tank today. Instead of pulling hair algae, scraping diatoms and cursing bba, I spend time with scissors to remove moss and pearlweed that doesn't grow where I want it. Finally, I reached the aquascaping phase!

edit: I maxed out the number of pictures... for the final picture, see post 8 below.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)

All I can say is WOW, your tank has been through so many stages!
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Cool progression, wassser. I'm curious what you have for hardware: co2, lights, and filter?

That battle with the BBA sounds like it was rough.

Also interesting to see that you gave the tank a good year of maturing before putting too much time/effort/$$ into 'scaping! That's pretty patient!

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Cool progression, wassser. I'm curious what you have for hardware: co2, lights, and filter?
Check out my signature! 2 13W AHS deluxe kits with 7100K bulbs. kH10 pH~7.2, autodosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Also interesting to see that you gave the tank a good year of maturing before putting too much time/effort/$$ into 'scaping! That's pretty patient!
Back then I was figuring out which plants would do well for me. Still think that it's a good approach to first let the tank grow in, then later reduce the fast growers and do the aquascaping.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I really liked the original mountain scape look. But, as is typical, the mountains soon become hidden. Is that a Jave Fern wendelov (sp?) in the middle top of the tank. It has a real nice look.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Yeah, it's tough to keep the mountains visible in a tank as small as a 10 gal. Sometimes I remove 50% or so of the Windelov Fern (that's what it is) but it grows back quickly. Cutting as we speak.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
valleyvampiress
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to valleyvampiress Send a message via Yahoo to valleyvampiress

Wow, lots of steps and time to get where it is now. Talk about patience! I am looking forward to the day when I will not have to combat algae anymore.

7G Long:1 Killie, 3 Rasboras, 1 Ghost Shrimp, 1 Amano
Java Fern, Anubias Coffeefolia, Anubias Barteri, Cabomba, Ludwigia

5G:2 Platies, 1 Ghost Shrimp
Java Fern, Green Wendtii, Petite Nana, Bacopa
valleyvampiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 AM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Feb 2006 - Here is the tank today. Instead of pulling hair algae, scraping diatoms and cursing bba, I spend time with scissors to remove moss and pearlweed that doesn't grow where I want it. Finally, I reached the aquascaping phase!

Here is the Christmas Moss tree. Hope you like it!

Happy gardening!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #9
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

very nice! love how you got the java lace looking real healthy!
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Thank you! The fern likes it up there. However, it's covering up the mountainscape... I'll probably pull it one of these days, and replace it with a less vigorous plant. Growing out some narrowleaf JF right now. Or maybe just attach some moss to the "mountains".
Old 03-26-2006, 02:45 AM   #11
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Just a quick, happy update... things are growing well, I removed all but a tiny little bit of the Windelov Java, the Christmas (moss) tree is growing

Bills Endlers seem to be happy. A singapore/wood shrimp has joined the crew... this one I bought intentionally small, after my last one lived only less than a year and died - assuming from advanced age.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #12
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

Nice 10 gallon. I tried to model my ten in a way reminiscent of yours, but it just ended up being a place to put my clippings and grow my epiphytes. Someday.........
Old 03-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #13
jeff63851
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to jeff63851

Nice Tank! Is all that Java Moss covering up the Mountain? I like the way it looks. Makes me wish I had some moss in my tank...
Fluval Pimp Club #1
jeff63851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I think this is what's called "Weeping Moss". Java moss grows kinda all over the place in all directions, while this one looks a little like a conifer/pine tree. Can't be sure, but I think I removed most Java moss from my tanks, and just kept this weeping one and christmas moss.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:10 AM   #15
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Blown Away, Wasser! Some of the best moss growing/scaping I've seen. I could stare into that little beauty for hours.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote