strange fish behavior
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #1
newkidvoodoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to newkidvoodoo Send a message via MSN to newkidvoodoo Send a message via Yahoo to newkidvoodoo

ok, i wasn't quite sure where to post this, as it has to do with several different things (lighting, fish behavior ect..), so i'll post it here. i recently changed the photoperiod on my tank to begin around noon, and go until midnight. sunday morning, i got up before the lights came on, and noticed that my fish (all of them) were swimming at roughly a 45 degree angle toward the front of the tank. when they would swim the length of the tank, they were tilted towards the front. i sat and watched this for a few minutes, until i came to the conclusion that the light coming in from the livingroom window was tricking the fish into thinking that the front of the tank was actually "up", and they were laying themselves over on their sides in an attempt to swim "upright". when the lights came on at noon, the fish all immediately righted themselves. am i correct in assuming that fish base their orientation solely on light? does the bouyancy of water make this the only sure way for fish to know when they are swimming upright? has millions of years of the sun being overhead confuse the fish when it isn't? am i crazy?

i did search, and found nothing on this. please excuse me if this has been covered before, but in 15 years of keeping fish, i have never seen it.

34 gal, Proquatics 1600 (160gph), Proquatics heater (200w), 4x30w flourescent bulbs (3.16wpg), nutrafin co2 system, 5 in Flourite/Onyx substrate mix (50/50), Flora: java fern, java moss, various cryptocoryne... Fauna: 3 Boesemani rainbows, 1 oto, 1 pleco, 5 Amano shrimp, and lots & lots of malaysian trumpet snails.
newkidvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

This is normal.

Fish actually derive their orientation from their primary source of light. In nature, this is the sun and it isually always comes from above.

In an aquarium, it is usually the lights above the aquarium. But when the lights are off and there is ambient lighting that comes in from the sides, they orient themselves based on this.

I'd be curious to see what would happen if you lit an aquarium only from the bottom. :lol:
Old 10-13-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Neither you nor your fishies are crazy. Although I have never seen an article about it, I experienced exactly the same "confusion" of fish being exposed to a side window. Weird, huh?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
newkidvoodoo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to newkidvoodoo Send a message via MSN to newkidvoodoo Send a message via Yahoo to newkidvoodoo

what i still can't belive, is that i have never noticed this before! 15 years of having at least one tank in the house, and i just now notice it.

you learn something every day

thanks for the replies...

one more thing... how do fish orient themselves at night when there is no light? i have never noticed any strange behavior before, but you can bet i will be watching tonight...

34 gal, Proquatics 1600 (160gph), Proquatics heater (200w), 4x30w flourescent bulbs (3.16wpg), nutrafin co2 system, 5 in Flourite/Onyx substrate mix (50/50), Flora: java fern, java moss, various cryptocoryne... Fauna: 3 Boesemani rainbows, 1 oto, 1 pleco, 5 Amano shrimp, and lots & lots of malaysian trumpet snails.
newkidvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote