Opinions needed on college major
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Tank Man
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Opinions needed on college major

I have been keeping fish since I was 10 and have only liked it more and more as I continue to makes new mistakes and learn. I am now 18. That being said, if you were me would you go to college for marine sciences (general fish stuff, more involving habitat than marine biology) or major in economics/finance and have more money, leaving fish keeping as a hobby?

55 Tank Journal
Tank Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
genocdex
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

if it were me, id go economics... it seems to have a more stable work than a marine science person might. im guessing more pay too. keeping fish is a great hobby and sometimes its best to not mix hobbies and job.

my friend became a ictheologist (sp?) since then he finds it very hard to keep a tank they way he sees fit... just something to think about lol

i chose electrical engineering over marine for more cash too.
genocdex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm currently attending college going for a Fishery and Wildlife BS and let me tell you, a biology degree is VERY demanding. Most jobs will require a Master's degree as well, and often a doctorate degree (depending on what you want to do). I also have been interested in fish most of my life and have thought about routes such as Marine Biology, Veterinarian, Wildlife Biologist, Ichthyologist (yes, correct spelling haha) among others. I have honed it down to Ecology Management, which if you are really interested in ecosystems and how they operate, would be a great way to go.

How well you are paid and the types of jobs you will get will vary greatly. The safer route would be economics (I almost did Psychology for that exact reason) but in the end I asked myself if I would regret not going for it, and I thought I would. So here I am.
Do what you really want to do. If you are just interested in the fish hobby and haven't had exposure to other aspects of biology such as wet labs, conferences or even volunteering at a non-profit facility or aquarium, I either suggest you do so or pick something else.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Major in the stuff that will make you money. Then you can do *anything* you'd like as a hobby
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
iant
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Man View Post
I have been keeping fish since I was 10 and have only liked it more and more as I continue to makes new mistakes and learn. I am now 18. That being said, if you were me would you go to college for marine sciences (general fish stuff, more involving habitat than marine biology) or major in economics/finance and have more money, leaving fish keeping as a hobby?
i'd say do what you love. That way work won't feel like work at all and you will enjoy every minute of it. Money is not everything you know
iant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

But at the same time, I've heard many people say that making your hobby your career is the surest way to ruin your hobby.

I've always wanted to be a wildlife/forestry scientist. Way too many classes that I'd never pass to get the required degrees. I barely made it through the lowest level of chemistry to get my current degree.

Not sure if there's any interest, but the medical field is in high demand and pays decent.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Major in the stuff that will make you money. Then you can do *anything* you'd like as a hobby
Hmmmm, that sounds like the advise my Doctor mother and Lawyer father gave me when I expressed an interest in Marine Bio thirty some odd years ago. I will never forgive them for steering me onto a path of studies with the end result being to make lot's of money. Guess what? I spent 6 years in colledge and never graduated.

I ended up with a career I loved and did well and am now enjoying the benifits of it. I have told my kids to follow your passions, and as the previous poster said, if you love what you do, it's not work. Additionally, if you are trully passionate about your career choice, you will most likely end up doing fine financially. Choosing a career based solely on income will assuredly lead to unhappiness.
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Mumford
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Default Opinions needed on college major

Having started in a place similar to you I can tell you what I experienced.

Went in for marine biology

Realized there was few jobs available
Realized it need many more years of school (and debt) than I wanted to give
Switched to business

Regrets? Nope

- Mumford
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I think the whole do what to love only works when you're the boss, also trying to eek out an existence on what was a hobby or a passion is a quick way to ruin it. Do what is moderately interesting and is stable enough to support your family and provide a decent retirement. My .02.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
...Additionally, if you are trully passionate about your career choice, you will most likely end up doing fine financially. Choosing a career based solely on income will assuredly lead to unhappiness.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1. Quasi fluff degrees lead nowhere fast. If you want to work at a fish farm or some commercial aquarium for a living, then by all means follow your dreams.

2. If you're going to college to study business and economics it is a complete waste of time and money. You can find all the same information on the internet for free. Save yourself $100,000 in debt and get out into the real world and get some experience and personal contacts. Those two things open more doors than any piece of paper that cost 10's of thousands of $'s.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

i say wait. go into the work force for a few years. you will start to think more and more about whatever it is you really want to do. then you will know what to major in and will have gained some valuable life skills in the process.

personally, i think its a bad practice to go to college right out of high school. i mean, how on earth are you supposed to have any clue as to what you really want to do? if you have a hobby that you are constantly battling your working time against, and spend most of your free time trying to learn every possible thing that could ever be known about that topic, you should probably pick something related as a career. why? if the topic is incredibly interesting to you, you will be good at it. few things will keep you as happy as the pride of knowing that you are really good at what you do.

if you already know of a field that has held your complete interest, fascination, and ambitions, then you wouldnt be asking this question.

i decided that i wanted to go to the best language school on the planet, learn arabic, and in the meantime study limnology. five years of service and i made it to the language school, and i will be finishing my limnology degree after i get out. all means to do the end of doing some MUCH needed conservation work in a certain part of the world. i dont regret not going to college first one bit. by the time i do, it will be the easiest part of the step and good old uncle sam will take care of the bill. then i get to go try and save the world...

whatever your dreams are, you will only be able to achieve them if your mind is completely made up about it. if you go to college wondering what you want to do, you will likely DOUBLE your bill as you change majors or end up in a career that you have no passion for.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (98/100%)

I've been on Wall Street for 5 years now and the only piece of advice I can give you is to major in Math. Once you have that math degree you can pretty much do anything in the finance field which is also very lucrative. I dual-majored in finance and economics.....I got lucky to have as good of a job as I do. On the other hand, all the people coming out of Columbia, Harvard, Yale etc with math degrees are starting off at $100k+ at the Morgan Stanleys and Goldman Saches.

The other good major is computer programming with a focus on math. Many of the current stock trading models are various algorithms that need to be created by somebody. So a portfolio manager says: "I need an algorithm that does this and that based on what the federal reserve does in the next week". You would program a model with those parameters and watch it make money (hopefully).

Everybody nowadays is going into finance, economics or some type of business field. It seems that most people avoid math like the plague but the smart ones that major in it tend to make a ton of money (at least in my area).
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I've been on Wall Street for 5 years now and the only piece of advice I can give you is to major in Math. Once you have that math degree you can pretty much do anything in the finance field which is also very lucrative. I dual-majored in finance and economics.....I got lucky to have as good of a job as I do. On the other hand, all the people coming out of Columbia, Harvard, Yale etc with math degrees are starting off at $100k+ at the Morgan Stanleys and Goldman Saches.

The other good major is computer programming with a focus on math. Many of the current stock trading models are various algorithms that need to be created by somebody. So a portfolio manager says: "I need an algorithm that does this and that based on what the federal reserve does in the next week". You would program a model with those parameters and watch it make money (hopefully).

Everybody nowadays is going into finance, economics or some type of business field. It seems that most people avoid math like the plague but the smart ones that major in it tend to make a ton of money (at least in my area).

thanks for your part in destroying whats left of the algo-riddled farce of a (cough) "market". Two computers trying to out churn and quote stuff each other is not a "market" .... its a video game, that the large brokerage house use to skim "the muppets" (aka Joe Q public) from their money. thank you Zerohedge and Nanex for shining the light on this particular scam.

I would recommend avoiding anything connected with what we call "modern finance and banking" since its all an over leverage, rigged, and manipulated farce whose days are numbered.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Go for the money. While there is something to be said about going to school for something you really enjoy, it's going to be tough to enjoy it when you graduate and have 6 months to find a job before your student loan bills start coming in. You probably won't find a lot of available jobs in marine sciences.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.