Heat
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Heat

With the inevitable arrival of the hot seasons how do your plants fare in warmer temp? Last year most of my plants were low light low tech. My house seems to hit 86-88 during the summer. My fish and planted were fine last year. This year I have a little more variety and a higher tech setup. I was wondering how hot does your tanks get and how do your plants do?
mfurufuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Heat

Ur tank will usually stay a couple degrees lower than room temp depending on size. If heat is a problem blow a fan over the top of the tank and ur water will stay cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vnghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

If it gets too hot and the fish and plants start having problems just freeze a few plastic pop bottles(sizes according to tank size), and float 1-2 to cool off during the hottest part of the day only. Re-freeze as needed. Just don't leave them in during cooler times of the day as this will cause water temp to drop way to rapidly.

This is meant only as last resort but it is effective.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
bikercarl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Aloha mfurufuru!

Last year, my tank was hitting temperatures that were a little high for my scrimps. I wound up losing a bunch of them. I was throwing ice ubes into the tank in the morning when I was leaving for work. Finally, I bought a fan and proppped the glass lid open and blew the fand across the water surface like vnghost suggested. This actually dropped the water temperature by a couple of degrees and did the trick! Only set back to that one is that it helps to speed up the evaporation from the tank. Just gonna have to keep topping it off if this is the route you decide to go! I hope that this helps!

BikerCarl
bikercarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Heat

Thanks for the input. I think will be getting a fan too. I'm more worried about my plants than my fish.
mfurufuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
bikercarl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Aloha mfurufuru,

For what it's worth, I picked up the Aquatek. It's basically a bunch of PAC fans wired together. I think I picked up from Amazon and got the free shipping which made it a better deal. I hope that this helps!

BikerCarl
bikercarl is offline   Reply With Quote