"Kahawai" 12 gallon long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

"Kahawai" 12 gallon long

Just bought a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long. Have been planning this tank project for over a month and now ready to start. Tank, ADA Aquasoil Amazonia normal and Seiryu stones purchased from LFSs. Hardscape layout pics coming soon. Tank name is from the Hawaiian word for "stream". And it begins.
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can't wait to see the pics!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great! Another 12gallon from Hawaii. There are 2 lfs that I know that I seen with this tank in stock. I was really thinking of buying another 12gal today but I didn't. I Can't wait to see it!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default "Kahawai" equipment layout

Bits & pieces are coming together for this project. Got the lighting fixture the other day thanks to Aqua Vibrant. Picked up the seiryu stones from Coral Fish Hawaii. Waiting for ADA Aqua Soil to start the hardscape. Will be doing DSM for this project. All my previous tanks were planted submerged so, trying something new.

Equipment:
lighting: Finnex Fugeray 36"
filtration: Eheim 2213/CalAquaLabs 13mm nano glass lily pipes
CO2: 20oz paintball cylinder/Aquatek mini regulator/Atomic inline diffuser

Hardscape: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia normal & powder/seiryu stone
Flora: "HC" (DSM); Hydrocotyle sp., H. glomeratus, E. tenellus (submerged)
Fauna: pr Apistogramma trifasciata/ pr Apistogramma borelli/ 6-12 tetra sp "dither"/ 12-15 Neocardina denticulata-wild

techniques to attempt:
  • mist 2X daily w/ .0125% soln Flourish Excel
  • "HC" DSM period 8 weeks; accent plants added submerged period
  • DSM lighting cycle- 12 on/12 off
  • submerged lighting cycle- 3 on/7 off/7 on/7 off
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks

Last edited by BeastMaster; 04-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: item corrections
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, did Coral Fish run out of Aqua Soil? Is that why you didn't pick it up from there? That's a pretty interesting lighting cycle. Can you explain why you use it?

Thanks!

Kai
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Don't forget to join the club
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Great! Another 12gallon from Hawaii. There are 2 lfs that I know that I seen with this tank in stock. I was really thinking of buying another 12gal today but I didn't. I Can't wait to see it!
BeastM is obligated to represent Hawaii right. This aquascape better be dope. Kai808 set the standard pretty high.

Just joking. Have fun with it. This is a great tank to work with and develop your aquascaping "eye." I'm still having trouble balancing my layout. Keep that in mind cause it can be tricky. Goodluck.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Trying to get it cheaper at ADG online (free shipping). Coral Fish is my back-up. Having some problems though so, waiting for clarification. The submerged light cycle is something that I've been doing for all of my indoor tanks from the start. 10.5 hrs on total with a 6.5 hr "rest period" inserted. Works well for plant requirements, minimizing algal growth and personal viewing. CO2 & a little Excel doesn't hurt either.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default Hardscape 1st iteration

Ended up getting normal Aqua Soil from Coral Fish. Word of advice to internet shoppers from Hawaii. Before you layout money to purchase goods from mainland businesses, make sure that "free shipping" applies. Had to deal with ADG who supposedly ships free. Thier prices obviously reflect shipping is included with the item cost when you compare shop with AFA. Looking throughout the ADG website, nowhere does it state that Hawaii is not eligible for the "free shippiing". I was offered by ADG to ship the AS but, all options required additional costs. So, Hawaii aquarists, BEWARE and in my opinion, DO NOT deal with ADG.

So, laid down gravel beds in areas of elevated substrate. My reasoning is that any regions with soil depth of more than 2" may experience anerobic activity and substrate packing when the tank is submerged. When the time comes to fill the tank 8 weeks from planting/scattering the HC, plan to "inject" aerobic bacteria cultures in the buried beds. We'll see how that works for the other plants down the line.

Next, laid down the normal Aqua Soil in the mental perspective I was trying to achieve. When I finally decide on the seiryu stone layout, will take "HC" cuttings from other tanks and scatter them over the open areas. That will be followed by a light sprinkle of leftover powder Aqua Soil.

The seiryu stone placement is partially iwagumi (left side) and partially scenic meadow with evidence of a stream flowing thru the scape (right side). The left side and middle stone placements are set in positions that I am satisfied with but the 2 right side stones are still questionable. The substrate mounding on the left side will accommodate the lily pipes.

Any imputs or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	107786  

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	107794  

Name:	IMG_1287.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	107802  

Name:	IMG_1290.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	107810  

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	107818  

Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default DSM start for "Kahawai"

Satisfied my hardscape layout by tightening up stone grouping on right side. Laid down a very thin layer of AS Amazonia powder then dampened the substrate. Scattered HC cuttings on top of the substrate and covered with cellophane. Decided not to cover cuttings with powder AS and to change misting schedule to 2-3X weekly. Will also mist with a more concentrated glut soln of 0.000333% vice 0.000125% and finally adjusted the lighting schedule to 6hr on /6hr off. Here we go. Will update in about 4 wks. Welcome any comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	109402  

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	109410  

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	109418  

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	109426  

Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Can't wait to see the pics!
GMYukonon- As any notable changes come up with this project, I'll post pics. Unfortunately they will be taken with my iPhone so quality won't be that great but just trying to document the progress. Thanks for viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Hey, did Coral Fish run out of Aqua Soil? Is that why you didn't pick it up from there? That's a pretty interesting lighting cycle. Can you explain why you use it?

Thanks!

Kai
Kai808- Eventually did buy Aqua Soil from Coral Fish. Been shopping all the lfs and CF has the cheapest priced substrate. Stones are probably cheaper at Aquascapes but selection was low at the time. The light cycle takes into account my at home sked, keeping total lighting around 10hr daily and putting a "siesta" period in the middle of the "on" time. Sounds complicated but if you lay it out for a 24hr period, it works for my other tanks. Enjoying your journal BTW. I know that most everybody favored the concave stone on the right side but my vote is for the latest version. Feel the force, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Don't forget to join the club
sayurasem- Joined the club and listed this journal. Learning alot from your 12g journal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
BeastM is obligated to represent Hawaii right. This aquascape better be dope. Kai808 set the standard pretty high.

Just joking. Have fun with it. This is a great tank to work with and develop your aquascaping "eye." I'm still having trouble balancing my layout. Keep that in mind cause it can be tricky. Goodluck.
CryptKeeper54- Watching your 12g journal too. Wanted to ask about your jet glass pipe. Planning the same outflow for my project and was wondering how strong the water current at the opposite end of the tank is? Plan on placing the intake glass pipe on the same side as the output to "complete the circuit". Hopefully the hardscape layout helps to accommodate the flow.

Sorry it took so long to reply to your responses, still learning the ropes of forum use.
Added more HC sprigs to the hardscape the next day and misting as the substrate visually appears lighter (damp Aqua Soil looks darker). Humidity is 100% judging from the water droplets on the cellophane and am waiting impatiently for the HC to start filling in. The DSM timeframe will depend on the HC coverage. The front of the tank will have to be filled in by foreground carpet so the water flow from the jet output doesn't kick up any exposed substrate. Appreciate any comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1311.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	114578  

Last edited by BeastMaster; 03-28-2013 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Geronimoumd
Algae Grower

Great looking hardscape. Can't wait to see it start to fill in!
Geronimoumd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimoumd View Post
Great looking hardscape. Can't wait to see it start to fill in!
Thanks G. Watching your journal too. Looking out your office window makes me feel cold. LOL. Noticed water pooling along the front of your tank. During my research on DSM, a number of sources mentioned plants "melting" when exposed to semi submerged conditions. Anyways, good luck with your project.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice start man.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Geronimoumd
Algae Grower

Yeah it seems like the slope i was looking for is creating a pooling effect in the middle. im going to let the water levels recede a little bit and concentrate on misting a few times a day instead.

also curious about your use of excel in your misting. isnt the aquasoil overkill as it is? whats the reasoning behind it?
Geronimoumd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.