Fert help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
puntific
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fert help

I have to admit that I'm about to ask for some serious hand holding. I'm new to planted tanks and my brain is tanked from dealing with 7th graders all week. I'm asking for what I give them all week! Yikes, I didn't think I'd sink to this level. Anyway...

I've got a 100 tank with Eco-complete substrate. It's full of plants that will work well with Discus, which I don't have yet. I'm running CO2 and 204 watts of light. I did some reading a while back and bought the following:

Via Bloom (solid)
Potasium Sulfate
Potasium Nitrate
Nutrafin Plant Gro (liquid)

The nutrafin seems like a mistake as the directions say 50 mL per week for my tank and the bottle only has 120 mL. It was also a bit expensive.

So... how much of this stuff should I add and what else should I get?

Thanks,

Scott
puntific is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Sharpchick
Planted Member

I asked a neighborhood 7th grader to Google it, and we found these directions for use at Hagen's website.

Says 5 ml per 38 liter (10 US Gallons) weekly.
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntific View Post
I have to admit that I'm about to ask for some serious hand holding. I'm new to planted tanks and my brain is tanked from dealing with 7th graders all week. I'm asking for what I give them all week! Yikes, I didn't think I'd sink to this level. Anyway...

I've got a 100 tank with Eco-complete substrate. It's full of plants that will work well with Discus, which I don't have yet. I'm running CO2 and 204 watts of light. I did some reading a while back and bought the following:

Via Bloom (solid)
Potasium Sulfate
Potasium Nitrate
Nutrafin Plant Gro (liquid)

The nutrafin seems like a mistake as the directions say 50 mL per week for my tank and the bottle only has 120 mL. It was also a bit expensive.

So... how much of this stuff should I add and what else should I get?

Thanks,

Scott
Hi Scott,
Okay, first you said you had 204 watts, we need to know what type of light it is and how far from the lights to the substrate.
I can't comment on the nutrafin or the via bloom.

Depending on the strength of the lighting/if co2 is injected/ and plant mass will determine how much you will need to dose.
There are a couple methods on how to dose. Estimative Index (EI), which is generally for highlight co2 injected systems. You can also search PPS-Pro method which might be better for your situatioin.

You will need a Micro fert such as CSM+B, Seachem Flourish or othe brand of "trace"/Micro ferts. These consist of a broad spectrum of nutrients in smaller dosages. You may have it there as nutra fin/bloom I'm not sure and I can't research because I'm running on 56k internet right now.

You also need Macro nutrients, these are nutrients that plants use in larger amounts Nitrogen via Potassium Nitrate, Phosphorus via Mono Potassium Phosphate, and Potassium via Potassium Sulfate.

You may also want to get a phosphate test kit and a Nitrate test kit if you already haven't. Many people I've talked to especially well water may contain Nitrates/Phosphates from farm fertilizer.

Last edited by latchdan; 03-04-2013 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Via Bloom is 0-52-34, so that covers phosphorus (and some potassium), though I can't find any other details or breakdown on it. For purposes of knowing how much to dose, it would probably be easier to have potassium phosphate instead.

Potassium nitrate covers nitrogen, potassium sulfate covers any additional potassium if needed.

Nutrafin Plant Gro covers iron and other micros. The dosage and expense is no mistake, that's why folks prefer dry ferts like CSM+B.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
puntific
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Hi Scott,
Okay, first you said you had 204 watts, we need to know what type of light it is and how far from the lights to the substrate.

OK, it's T-5 lighting and 27 inches from the substrate.

I can't comment on the nutrafin or the via bloom.

Depending on the strength of the lighting/if co2 is injected/ and plant mass will determine how much you will need to dose.
There are a couple methods on how to dose. Estimative Index (EI), which is generally for highlight co2 injected systems. You can also search PPS-Pro method which might be better for your situatioin.

You will need a Micro fert such as CSM+B, Seachem Flourish or othe brand of "trace"/Micro ferts. These consist of a broad spectrum of nutrients in smaller dosages. You may have it there as nutra fin/bloom I'm not sure and I can't research because I'm running on 56k internet right now.

You also need Macro nutrients, these are nutrients that plants use in larger amounts Nitrogen via Potassium Nitrate, Phosphorus via Mono Potassium Phosphate, <-- it turns out, via bloom is KH2PO4 and Potassium via Potassium Sulfate.

You may also want to get a phosphate test kit and a Nitrate test kit if you already haven't. Many people I've talked to especially well water may contain Nitrates/Phosphates from farm fertilizer.
Should I also get a potassium test kit? They are spendy. I've seen people recommend potassium sulfate for potassium, seeming to ignore that KNO3 also has potassium. Do I really need both? Do I need sulfate?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
puntific
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Via Bloom is 0-52-34,

What does the 0-52-34 mean?

so that covers phosphorus (and some potassium), though I can't find any other details or breakdown on it. For purposes of knowing how much to dose, it would probably be easier to have potassium phosphate instead.

Potassium nitrate covers nitrogen, potassium sulfate covers any additional potassium if needed.

Nutrafin Plant Gro covers iron and other micros. The dosage and expense is no mistake, that's why folks prefer dry ferts like CSM+B.
Buying CSM+B, Thanks