Lighting for Marineland 56 Gallon Column?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
InvisibleRain

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Lighting for Marineland 56 Gallon Column?

So I'll start with the fact that I know NOTHING about lights. I've had a 20 gallon set up off and on for the last 15 years but I was fortunate enough that it came with a good light.
I recently purchased the aforementioned aquarium and want to set it up very soon. I am aiming for an 'amazon biotope' for my Black Ghost Knifefish. I still haven't decided 100 percent on substrate but it will likely be dirted.

So... Talk to me like I'm five. I have tried and tried to understand the whole lighting deal but I just can't. I have spent hours looking for a light to buy/order but I can't figure it out.

The tank is going to be pretty heavily planted with mostly easy to grow plants. I am sticking to plants that are native to South and Central America. I would LOVE to have Dwarf Baby Tears (South American Native) as a carpet in the front, but I've heard it's hard to grow.

I will appreciate ANY suggestions of specific light fixtures or any explanation of what I need to get. Thanks in advanced!
InvisibleRain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
InvisibleRain

Here's an old picture of my Ghost Knife, Wallace, chilling in his current tank. He's outgrowing it very quickly, hence my need for a new one. Who couldn't love that face?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Depth, width and length?
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
InvisibleRain

It is 30 inches long, 18 inches wide and 24 inches tall. The odd dimensions are to accommodate my ghost knife
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
InvisibleRain

No one has any suggestions?

Tags
56 gallon, amazon, biotope, black ghost knife, lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.