Cloudy Water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

On my 29g I have a filstar XP2 canister running. I recently had an unexplained ammonia spike,that has now resulted in a bunch of cloudy water. The water parameters are fine, I just can't beat this cloudy water non-sense. It seems to get better at night hen the lights are all off, but worse during the day. I have heard a black out hurts your plants more then anything, so I do not want to take that route. I have done partial and more then partial water changes. I am getting really frustrated, and ready to drain the whole dam thing. What should I do?
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Matt,

I had a cloudy water issue a while back...it would get worse during the day. Unfortunately I think it is Green water in its early stages. Roger Miller here in Albuquerque suggested using a flocculant to get the fine particles out of suspension in the water and then filtering em out mechanically....here is a link to something on the subject. Personally a 24 or 48 hour blackout in my mind wont harm your plants. Just me though. I have forgotten to turn the lights on over the weekend and the plants were fine.

Mike

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...y&start=15

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...t&start=15

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2003, 01:11 AM   #3
mattrmiller
Planted Member

OK, I have a couple questions that are really going to make me look stupid.... but since I really want to solve this it's a small price.

1) What is flocculant.
2) I have heard good things about HOT magnum filters, but they are expensive. I would also be concerned because I like the XP2.. is the magnum something I use only for a small period of time? It just seems like a waste?
3) Also UV sterilizers are expensive, I do not know enough about them to invest the money.

This is really frustrating, I don't want to spend a ton of money just for this problem.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:25 AM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You don't have to spend a dime if you're willing to wait it out. But be warned, It could get worse before it gets better.

IMO, you got two choices:
1)Drive yourself nuts and try to control the situation with filters and blackouts and chemicals.
2) Cut down the light cycle to about 10 hrs a day, water change every couple days, and wait for a couple weeks.

Your tank is fairly new and it's trying to find a balance. It'll find one sooner if you just let it.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2003, 01:29 AM   #5
mattrmiller
Planted Member

That's a good point. I was just concerned that if I did nothing it will only get worse and never get better. If I can borrow a hot magnum filter from my Friend to clean it out and only use it for a week, will it come back after I remove the hot magnum?
Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 AM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

It might come back after you remove the magnum. Green water is usually caused by an excess of nutrients and a lack of bio-bacteria to consume it. The algae steps in as a consumer of the nutrients. If you let the algae consume the nutrients it'll end quicker but might be uglier in the interim.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:50 AM   #7
mattrmiller
Planted Member

So I should wait it out... while lower my photo period? Should I be doing water changes during this... or does this add to the nutrients for the algae to feed on? Maybe try doing nothing?
Old 10-13-2003, 02:03 AM   #8
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I would just do nothing. Your tap water may actually be making the situation worse. Maybe just shorten the photo period. Do you have any idea whats in your local water?

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 10-13-2003, 02:11 AM   #9
mattrmiller
Planted Member

My tap water is really hard, and has high PH. I have been mixing a little tap water with RO water. I am just concern that any water changes will only be adding nutrients for the algae to feed on.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:37 AM   #10
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates in the tap water?
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 10-13-2003, 03:06 AM   #11
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Nitrates are fine.
Phosphates are at 0.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:55 PM   #12
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Matt,

Lot of good posts above. I agree on the do nothing part. Your tank will find its balance In my opinion just by waiting and reducing the lighting period.

I went through the cloudy water phase and did the flocculant (this is a substance that takes fine particles out of suspension by binding them together to make bigger particles...thus making it easier for your mechanical media (floss) to take them out) and DE route. This worked great but the cloudy water kept coming back...less each day but still came back.

I now just let the tank run its course.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2003, 05:02 PM   #13
mattrmiller
Planted Member

I am letting it run it's course. I have been trying flocculate, I just did not know that's what it's called. The product I got does not seem to work that well. Is there one that anyone recommends?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:27 PM   #14
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Alright well I did a day and a half "1/2 black out".. what does that mean? Well during the day I left some lights on in the room for my plants, but turned off the aquarium light. And now... IT'S CLEAR... and has been for a while... fingers crossed it will stay that way.

The only down side is my fish are a little confused I think... and my plants are looking a little gloomy.. but they will soon perk back up. I am SO SO SO SO glad I did not have to buy anything for this fix. It does take patience, which I know is really hard... I stuggle myself with it... a lot.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:11 AM   #15
barako927
Algae Grower

I just setup my 135G tank all it has right now is aqual soil and on top pea gravel. I've put the water in last week and it got a little cloudy for the first 2 days and then it cleared out. Then 2 days later it's cloudy again, is this a common accurance? I was thinking of dumping the water again but would really appreciate any input, there's nothing in the tank except for substrate with eheim 2028 and 2128 filters..

thanks
barako927 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.