Any Scotch fans?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Steve106
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Any Scotch fans?

Hey everyone,

Just having a glass of 12yr old highland park single malt scotch and was wondering if there are any other scotch fans in our community?

What's one of your favorites? Can you describe it?

Cheers,

Steve
Steve106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fan of the Johnny Walker's. Not as much the gold though, I don't like the blend of it. Black or Blue if I feel like spending $250 for a bottle. After drinking Blue though, red tastes like paint thinner and can't drink the red anymore. lol.

Some of the Glenfiddich's are nice, the 15 and 18 have a really nice taste.

Glenlivet 12 is nice as well.

I enjoy all kinds of scotch really. I prefer the single malts most of the time for that single taste the scotch was made to have. There are a few good blends though.

In a nice wide open glass, round ice cube so it can cool and not melt and sipped with a nice Cuban Cigar is a nice way to relax.

When it's party time though, the good scotches usually stay away, except the last party. Killed a bottle of Gold, 151 rum, Absinthe, some fancy vodkas, some Cuban Rum, some other Cuban Rum. Glad we had the Blue Label put away as that was already about $500 in booze. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

I know that many love the stuff but in my humble opinion, scotch has to be one of the worst alcoholic inventions ever. The last time I tired it (10yr old single malt) I was like "Oh my God! That's horrible!!" Imagine the keystone bitter beer face... That happened.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Steve106
Algae Grower

GeToChKn I couldn't agree with you more about a good cigar and a good scotch...Heaven! It makes me want to melt away...i can't wait for some warm weather so i can sit outside and indulge : )

I agree with the Johnny Red tasting like paint thinner too...however, you ever have old school red? I have a bottle now from the last 60's that my father had in the garage. It is unreal...it has such a smooth and complex flavor...id put it up there with some of the best i've ever had.

Old Punk78- not worries, we all have our own tastes : ) what's your fancy?
Steve106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am a fan of Glenfiddich 21 yrs, everytime either I visit US or one of my friend goes, I always get two bottles..

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: Any Scotch fans?

I enjoy scotch as well. Highland park 18 is probably my favorite. Lagavulin and Laphraoig are great too, but while I like that peaty smoky isle style I sometimes find that these can be "too much of a good thing".

This is what's great about HP...it goes in that direction without rubbing your face in it.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Darkblade48

I've had (in no particular order, just whatever I remember):

Glenlivet 12, 15, 18
Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18
Maccallan 10, 12, cask strength
Laphroaig 10, 12
Lagavulin 12
Glengarioch 12
Glenmorangie 10
Glengrant 10
Glenfarclas 12
Balvenie 12
Dalwhinnie 12
Bowmore 12
All Johnnie walkers with the exception of the platinum and double black

I'm sure there's some more I'm forgetting, but yes, one could say I'm a fan.

I particularly like Macallan and Glenmorangie.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Where's lbacha? Len is a big fan of the beverage.

I prefer Irish myself Bushmills 10yo single malt. I don't drink much at all any more and that's pretty much all I want anymore if I do drink.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

syzygy9, I've had some really peat-y tasting stuff that I didn't like it. Guess it's a taste for some but I was bummed at like 90$ a bottle that it tasted like a garden. lol.

Dogfish, yes Bushmill's is nice too for the Irish Whiskey's, or Jamisons.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

at home now, if I can remember correctly...

laphroaig 10 and 18
glenfarclas 21
glenfiddich 18 (yuck)
Ardbeg Galileo, 1999
Belvenie 15

I might be missing one.

I've had Belvenie doublewood, Highland Park 12 and a sampler of 21 (my god that was delicious!). glenfiddich 12, glenlivet 12

not a fan of blended scotchs, only single malts.

glenfiddich and glenlivet are introductory scotchs as they're cheap, and altogether not that great. but if you can stomach drinking those you'll definitely be more inclined to delve into the tastier, more expensive, distilleries.

Also, keep in mind, the older the scotch, the better. It mellows out incredibly and the entire scotch changes. the highland park 12 was good... but my god the 21 was amazing. It tasted like butterscotch and was just as smooth.

The laphroaigs are interesting. they heavily smoke the barley with peat, so the 10 is very smokey and robust, while the 18's smokiness has mellowed out a lot, but I prefer the 10 for that reason.

right now, of what I own, my favorite is the glenfarclas. before that was probably the belvenie doublewood.

I need to grab a bottle of highland park 21 though.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I like Balvenie 27 year port, and also when I visit my favorite scotch-serving bar I like the Auchotochen (I'm sure that's spelled wrong) scotch as well.

something about a nice scotch

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have a bottle of Oban 14 yr, its pretty good. I always drink my single malts neat while blends over ice. I don't know why just taste better to me. I like Dewars and Chivas Regal for blends. I'm not much a fan of Johnny Walker, I think Black taste like putting your tongue on a 9 Volt battery mix with coke.

Quote:
I know that many love the stuff but in my humble opinion, scotch has to be one of the worst alcoholic inventions ever. The last time I tired it (10yr old single malt) I was like "Oh my God! That's horrible!!" Imagine the keystone bitter beer face... That happened.
You just gotta find "your" scotch, they have such a different taste some you like some you don't.

I want to try highland park but I'm low on money and gotta drink my 3 bottles I have before I go out and spend more money haha.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I always put a single, large ice cube in and then wait about 60 seconds.

At the bar I go to sometimes there are some hardcore scotch fans, and they always say the best way to taste a new scotch is:

- try it neat, room temp at first. then you have a good reference of how it 'really' tastes
- then add a tiny amount of spring water. it's amazing how much such a little bit of water changes the taste
- then add ice as desired.

It's become a habit - then you get three different ways of tasting the same scotch and they are all different.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Everyone has their own tastes. I can't stand Tequila for the life of me, it doesn't matter if it's some fancy brand that someone swears will convert me and is "smoother" than other Tequila, I don't like it. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Say Car Ramrod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Any Scotch fans?

I'm a fan of the glenlivet 12 and 18. However, the 18 is a little too rich for my college budget. One of the firefighters on my department has a way of getting me to have an expensive taste in scotch and tequila.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Say Car Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote