Eheim Liberty Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-12-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
caught29
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have an Eheim Liberty 200 filter on my 20-long tank, but since i've added plants recently it creates more water movement than necessary. It has a dial to turn the flow down for 'feeding'. Would there be any ill effects to leaving it on the low-flow feeding setting permanently? Could the impeller possibly overheat or something like that? Its a great filter and I'd rather not ruin it.

thanks
caught29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Caught,

Not that I am an Eheim expert but most filters (all that I know of) have a constant spinning impeller. The way to adjust the "flow" is just by restricting the ammt of water that actually reaches the constant spinning impeller. This is how I believe this works although I am not sure. With that being said and if the above is true It should not harm your impeller one bit.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #3
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Another way of "reducing flow" is by increasing the surface area of the output. Several people on the forum have made PVC attachments with holes drilled in them so that the water movement is spread more evenly throughout the whole tank.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:40 AM   #4
caught29
Algae Grower

Guttboy: that was my understanding of how the filter worked also, I just wasn't 100% sure if reduced flow affected impeller cooling in any way. I had my last filter (penguin mini) burn out on me and didn't want that to happen again.

DleDeaux: Infact the other night i was so bored i tried to construct a channel for the front of the filter so the water could run down gradually. It didn't work as well as planned, but I hadn't thought of drilling holes in it like a rainbar of sorts.

If the reduced flow is still too much movement then I'll try the rainbar idea again. Thanks guys!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:58 AM   #5
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Caught,

Both Wasserpest and myself have done the same thing reducing the flow with a "rainbar" extension to our filters...works like a champ!

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 02:11 AM   #6
metallhd
Algae Grower

I don't know if it fits the Eheim or not but I have (and I'm not using) a spray bar that is essentially a tube with one end blocked and holes in it to calm the flow from my Fluval 3 series - it works great, nice steady flow, it just doesn't 'fit' in the tank since I altered it. I think it was about $7, amd I am dead certain it would be relatively simple to modify if that was even necessary. Good luck!
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 02:32 AM   #7
caught29
Algae Grower

metallhd: the liberty filter isn's a canister, its a hang-on-back, so it wouldn't work with the exact thing you're talking about. I think it would be more of a bar placed across the front of the two outflows, but the general idea of a tube with holes drilled in it is the same.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:41 AM   #8
metallhd
Algae Grower

I just had a look at the filter, looks like my Aquaclear in terms of modification - Guttboy and Wasserpest were talking about the rainbar thing - I wonder if they have it attached at the intake end - it seems to me that this would dramatically restrict flow - the only other thing I can think of is to fix a piece of sponge up inside the filter to restrict the outflow - I'm thnking this could be a little dicey, though - see Bucks recent problems if you need any more pause for thought. :P
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

The spray bar is on the filter exhaust. It spreads the outflow over a larger area to reduce the concentration of current.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeDeaux View Post
Another way of "reducing flow" is by increasing the surface area of the output. Several people on the forum have made PVC attachments with holes drilled in them so that the water movement is spread more evenly throughout the whole tank.
I was just browsing and found this thread.I have an Eheim Liberty 2040(it has a single outflow). https://www.google.be/search?q=eheim...ml%3B300%3B160
.In the outflow I stuffed a big squared sponge ,which almost reaches the lid of the filter.That way the water rises inside the HOB and cascades through the sponge ,even forming a watery pelicule on the outside ,when it is on high, yet it highly reduces flow.
I can adjust the surface movement by slightly raising\pulling the sponge ,so less water has to go through it ,and goes straight in the tank instead.
It serves as final filtration ,aeration ,cooling ,and fine surface skimming adjuster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.