Birmingham area FW stores ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alabama

Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
Opiy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Birmingham area FW stores ?

I have been thinking of getting into the FW planted hobby and was curious if there are any good stores around the Birmingham area that I could check out.

Now im in the saltwater tanks but I thought I would also consider FW.

Thanks
Opiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

The short answer? No . There is a pretty nice shop in Chattanooga (The Bermuda Triangle) that has a good selection of plants. Even Java Moss and Java Fern which for being low-light easy to grow plants seem to be hard to find for some reason. Very, very occasionally I'll see some nice plants at Pet Supermarket (chain) although for the most part you can write the chains off. I wish Aquarium Imports would start up a plant tank but they've barely got room for their SW tanks as it is.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
YuccaPatrol
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

It is really hard to find good plants here. I generally just have to get lucky with some of the chain or larger stores if they happen to have something good. I'm not picky with my plants (yet) and have found most of what I need right now.

I do like Aquarium Imports. The guys there (Steve and Steve) are really nice to me and very helpful even though I rarely make large purchases and usually walk out empty handed.

At all costs though, avoid Ed's Pets. I've never actually had a problem with a fish bought from there, but the general state of the store is just gross. Look between the tanks and see layers of dried up dead fish that have probably been there for years. Not to mention that mammals and other animals do not seem to be very well kept.

Anyone local to Birmingham interested in convict cichlids, I have a BUNCH of them available for free. They look like regular convicts, but their offspring will be a mix of regular and albinos because. They are about 2/3 inch long at the moment.
YuccaPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)

Quote:
but the general state of the store is just gross.
I have to agree with you about the state of the store. But, I do disagree on buying fish there. If you can get past the nastiness of the store, they have a good fish selection IMO. They are the only place I have found rummynose tetras, bristlenose plecos, and german rams. I also bought 3 angels from them. All the fish have lived, except for one german ram, but they are pretty sensitive fish. I bought an angel from a different store and it didn't live.

Ed's tanks have algae growing in them, the place smells a little, and its rather unclean, but I will still by fish there, for their unique selection. They have some beautiful Discus and some large plecos and clown loaches.

I drive an hour across Bham to get to Ed's. That's how much I like the fish selection.

Now finding good plants in the Bham area, thats another story. I order all my plants online. They are better quality, have a better selection, and its convenient (sp?).

My tank info page
JustOneMore21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
tijat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

If anyone is interested in trading some clippings let me know. I just set up a 75g so it will be a few months before I have anything to trade.

Justin
tijat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
JustOneMore21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)

What kind of clippings will you have? I won't need any until I set up my 2 new tanks, but by then you should have some.

My tank info page
JustOneMore21 is offline   Reply With Quote