New Eclipse 6gal 21Watt light setup plants, Need help PLEZ Read
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
HEINEKEN357
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Smile

New Eclipse 6gal 21Watt light setup plants, Need help PLEZ Read

Sup all here is my new Eclipse 6 gallon tank, I need some help i been reading and reading and still having programs. i upgraded the 8watt to the 13 watt compact fluorescent light. Is that a good update for the plants. i also installed Plexiglas on the light so water wont funk it up. I really want this tank to be my first planted one, the plants i have in there now will they work? also the fertilizer and water conditioner good for what i want to do? i will just keep 3 fish and few shrimp once i get evething running right. PLEZ HELP O and does any1 know what kind of plants they are...

The tank http://members.cox.net/beer357si/6ga...0tank/tank.JPG

I installed a 13watt Compact Fluorescent 4100k but will upgrade to a 6500khttp://members.cox.net/beer357si/6ga...tank/light.JPG

Fertilizer and water conditioner?http://members.cox.net/beer357si/6ga...ank/jungle.JPG

Last edited by HEINEKEN357; 02-16-2006 at 04:10 AM..
HEINEKEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Zach987
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Let's see, I see some banana plants, narrow leaf chain sword, and I think I see a tiger lotus. These are all great plants but with only 13 watts of light with no reflector you are going to have a hard time growing these. IMO, you need to upgrade the lighting.
Also, is that substrate black coated gravel, like the kind you get at wally world? If its you will need some sort of sub. fert near the plants. This is only a short fix for the problem, it would be best to change the gravel to some sort of plant growing substate like Florite or eco-complete to make sure that you have plenty of nutiients.

This is just a start on what you need to fix, your tank has the potential to be a great tank, and I cant stress enough that you need to do a little research then decide what you want to put in there.

If the substrates are too much go to Home Depot and get a bag of aqua soil. Its is a decent replacement.

Our Blog
My Flickr page

Last edited by Zach987; 02-15-2006 at 11:02 PM..
Zach987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
HEINEKEN357
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok i upgraded the lights a little and now i have 21 watt as for the rocks cant i keep them just get some plants that will do good in the rocks and with 21watt of light. what would be the best plants for the setup now.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
Solace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

IMO your best bet for plants in this setup is anacharis and hornwort, maybe some water wistera. Your fairly novice at this and the eclipse hoods with the biowheels really tend to not be good tanks for planted tanks. Biowheels tend to suck out all the CO2 from various things I have read.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
Zach987
Planted Member

Biowheels in Eclipse hoods arent a problem , all you have to do is just take them out.

As far as plant suggestions, it would be considering on what type of tank design you are wanting. If your just looking for a basic tank that just is a little green, I would suggest a couple stems of anarchis or wisteria as was suggested above.

But, If you want something a little better looking, I would suggest going with an Asian biotope. This region has a LOT of low light plants like :Hygrophila corymbosa, Rotala Indca, Crypt balansae, Dwarf water onions, Corkscrew Vals, Four-leaf clovers or Java ferns. These plants are not high light plants and are easliy accessable.
Save up your money and buy as many as you can afford at one time, this will help you set up the tank like you want it and helps stop the urge for impulse buying of plants. I am pretty sure everyone on this board has bought plants that they had no buisness buying for their setup when they first started this hobby. I personally bought and tied ricca in a 35 gallon tank that was 4 foot high with only 10 watts of light on top.
One last thing, the spectrum of the eclipse bulb is wrong for plants, there is a replacement for it that is 67K.

If you have any questions or have something that you can figure out I am sure that anyone on here will help, and probally been through it before. Think about it this way, how hard is it to mix CO2 and forget to change the top from a untapped one to one that goes to the reactor?

Our Blog
My Flickr page
Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
HEINEKEN357
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thaxs guys for the fast post i think ill go with some Crypt balansae, Dwarf water onions and java moss, and iam still tryin to find out what product to buy for the plants is this any good Biospheres Plant Nutrient by Mardel? or Hagen Plant Gro. what about a Hagen Plant Grow Natural System with CO2 will this make the plants grow faster and do i need it for that small of a tank? sorry for all the question
Old 02-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Zach987
Planted Member

Any plant would do good with CO2 but it is light in your tank that is needed more.

You can use flourish excel as a substitute for carbon. Using this you won't need a ladder for your tank.
cheers

Our Blog
My Flickr page
Old 02-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
littleguy
Algae Grower

Actually, I believe that's microsword, not chain sword. But similar requirements nonetheless.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

A little clarification on the biowheel: I'm of the opinion that if you are NOT injecting gaseous co2, then a biowheel or similar form of surface turbulence will actually help maintain a small amount of co2 in the water column. It will not help remove liquid carbon supplements like seachem's excel. In short, i'd suggest leaving the biowheel on if you don't do yeast/sugar co2 methods

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
supaoopa
Planted Member

I agree with esarkipato on the bio wheels if you are not injecting co2. I have a similar tank as well as two other tanks that are planted with the bio wheels and I have had no problems growing plants. Even the one that i do have diy co2 in with a biowheel i have not had any problems with even though it would probably be best not to have it. Just saying its not that big of a deal IMO if you are not running pressurized co2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach987
One last thing, the spectrum of the eclipse bulb is wrong for plants, there is a replacement for it that is 67K.
The eclipse bulb that comes in the system 6 is a 6500k bulb. The temp is fine, but it is pretty underpowered to really grow anything but low light and hardy plants.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #11
HEINEKEN357
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thaxs again guys ill keep you posted with new pic in a few days