cloudy water and flourite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
dschmeh
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to dschmeh Send a message via MSN to dschmeh

cloudy water and flourite

Ive just setup a new tank with flourite washed it put it in tank filled tank had a little muddy water for a bit but that cleard right up . the problem im having is even when freshly filled after mud cleared, is milkey water. Its been up and running now for about 2 weeks but water is still milkey but getting clearer every day . The tank is now heavily planted its a 12 gallon with ah 36w retro and diy co2 with plants doing well and has a light fish load of 6 very small platties. but as of yet tank is not crystal clear. I dont belive its bacteria or due to cycle since its done it from day one.
I belive its the flourite and our water is very hard . can this be iron precipitation due to hard water or phosphate . anyone else see this. Ive always done reef tanks with no problem but this is first tank using flourite and im thinking that may be cause of the problem.
dschmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
krazykidd86
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)

Could be. Do a water change and slowly fill the water in, and see what you get. If you get more cloudy water, then I would say it's a minor contributor.

Best of Luck! proud:

the KK
krazykidd86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If the tank has only been set up two weeks and it's not green in color when placed into a white bowl or bucket (the water) then it's most likely a bacterial bloom.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #4
dschmeh
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default day one

its been that way since first filled doubt bacteria would bloom in a few hours.
its 12 gallon tank i just did a one gallon water change using distilled water and it immediatly cleared i suspect my city water is very hard and may have high phosphate causing iron to precipitate.
more testing needs to be done.

anyone else have any ideas.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Guillermo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey dschmeh I set up a 7 gal. -low tech-nano cube on Jan. 28th., and having the same issue with milky water (as a side note I rinsed the fluorite like mad before putting it in the tank, because it's my first time with this substrate) I've seen one snail growing in there already, and when I make small WC's the water is green-ish, and there's some green algae on the glass, so I don't think it's a bacterial bloom. I have never experienced this with regular gravel in other tanks.

I was thinking about making some WC's with RO bottled water to clear the tank, maybe this weekend I'll do it.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
John S
Planted Member

i would say its the flourite is it the red clay stuff??
Old 02-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
dschmeh
Planted Tank Obsessed

mines been up about 3-4 weeks now its a 12 gallon its been milkey from day one i dont belive its bacteria since its done it as soon as i filled it . it is getting clearer every day but still not crystal clear. i think its the flourlite . and or my water is very hard out of the tap and this may be causing precipitation. Ive started doing water changes with bottled water to see what happens. I also have never had this problem but im a reef guy and this is my first planted tank and also first time using flourite. let me know how you make out ill do the same.
Dave
Old 02-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Keck
Planted Tank Obsessed

Our tanks our about the same age and I am using Flourite as well.

Did you wash it till it was clear? It took me forever to get the stuff to run clear and it still throws up dust. After tank maintance, it will get cloudy again until I run the diatom filter.

Do you have strong water flow over the substrate? I ask because I tried runing a bubble wand at night at the back corner of the tank and it kicked up the dust so bad that the diatom filter couldnt clean it until I turned it off.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
dschmeh
Planted Tank Obsessed

it never runs clear , its clay , the more you wash it the more dirt it makes but yes i rinsed it as well as i could i was gonna try a diatom filter to clear it then see what happens
Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
fishwhisperer
Planted Member

I have set up several tanks w/flourite and they always clear up within a day. The dusting lessens after several water changes if you cram the vac tube all the way to the bottom of the tank...obviously tuff if you plant grass or stem plants at the start. Also I wash mine is a cullinder very, very well, makes the wife happy and that stuff will plug up a garbage disposal in a hurry .

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
fishwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 01:32 AM   #11
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmeh
it never runs clear , its clay , the more you wash it the more dirt it makes but yes i rinsed it as well as i could i was gonna try a diatom filter to clear it then see what happens

It's FIRED clay. So it doesn't make dirt when you wash it unless you are using a mixer to wash it.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #12
dschmeh
Planted Tank Obsessed

let me rephrase that then . when washing it the granuals rub together and produce more fired clay dust . I could not get it to rinse completly clear no matter how long i rinsed it.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #13
Keck
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thought it was like fired clay, but didn’t know it actually was. The stuff scratched the heck out of my bathtub so I know it’s not too soft or chalky.

Anyway, it’s a chore and I think Id rather wash…umm…anything else. However, I found the trick was to wash a little bit at a time (like 1/6 of a bag) in a 5 gal bucket. Rex had mentioned a paint strainer, but I couldn’t get my hands on one and had to adapt. It takes a while, but it will run pretty clear.

In any case, I know a sure-fired way to test if it is the Fluorite or not clouding your tank. Stick a magnet cleaner on the same side of the tank as the filter intake (or close to it). If its Flourite floating in the water, you will soon have a red/brown Fluorite film all over the magnet because the stuff is magnetic.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #14
Ryzilla
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

I washed 3 bags the other day. It took a long time but my goal wasnt to wash it clear. The goal was to rinse away the dust and thats it. I believe that washing it clear is a waste of time and possibly nutrients. I even put a bag of unwashed flourite mixed with laterite over peat moss as the first 2 layers. If you have a good filter there is no point (IMO) to wash it clear, just rinse it until the water is a light brown.

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Ryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #15
fishwhisperer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex
It's FIRED clay. So it doesn't make dirt when you wash it unless you are using a mixer to wash it.
Is this a man created process? I was thinking that it was natural.

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
fishwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.