CO2 bubbles per second
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Cthulhu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 bubbles per second

As I don't yet have a drop checker, for now I need to rely on bubbles per second to set the amount of CO2 injected in my aquarium. It is 95g, and I don't have any fish yet (the drop checker will come before the fish) so no risk if I inject too much.

So, how many bubbles per second should I set?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

that's not a good reference. as on my 75 gallon. i running i guess around 10-20 bps.. its uncountable

shoot for a 1.0 ph drop within a 2 hour timeperiod to start. that's safe even if u have fish
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
that's not a good reference. as on my 75 gallon. i running i guess around 10-20 bps.. its uncountable

shoot for a 1.0 ph drop within a 2 hour timeperiod to start. that's safe even if u have fish
I'm running ~7 giant bubbles per second on my 75g.... No way to tell with this bps thing by counting bubbles.

I built a CO2 sensor that controls my CO2 solenoid. It seems to work great. I'm going to run out of CO2 by monday but I don't have to worry about bubbles!
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
UDGags
aka Nick

Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Default Re: CO2 bubbles per second

I have a stream of co2.....250+ml per min which gives me about 60-70ppm.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

On my 75 gallon I JUST finished setting up CO2 and have it at about 2bps. It barely trickles out of the diffuser at that rate. Should I take the previous comments to mean I just at least tripple that?
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You will need to increase the BPS but if there are fish or shrimp or snails in the tank go easy and tweak a little every few days.

I have more bubbles than I can count [gave up at about 15bps] going into the clear housing of the Cerge's reactor that is on the 180 gallon tank but it isn't a stream. Covered tank and sump with a low turbulence Herbie type overflow and loads of surface ripples all the way to the other end of the tank.

Drop checkers are so slow to react I will take pH readings from tank water if I am concerned. I take a pH reading before the gas goes on and every 15 minutes or so after it goes on. Interesting to take water from different areas of the tank too to see how good circulation is overall. That is the starting point, likely there is a more of a drop than that needed for a good CO2 level.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I'm running ~7 giant bubbles per second on my 75g.... No way to tell with this bps thing by counting bubbles.

I built a CO2 sensor that controls my CO2 solenoid. It seems to work great. I'm going to run out of CO2 by monday but I don't have to worry about bubbles!
If only the sensor were mass produced...
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hopefully someone can respond to this in the next hour so I can order tonight and have this shipped tomorrow...

These:
Amazon.com: U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fluval CO2 Indicator Kit Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fluval CO2 Indicator Kit

I'm assuming the CO2 test solution they are referring to is the 4kh whatever I keep seeing over the forum here?

Edit: Considering I see people here selling the exact same thing with the extra solution, I guess not. Looks like I'll be ordering from here.

Last edited by Rush3737; 03-07-2013 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
Hopefully someone can respond to this in the next hour so I can order tonight and have this shipped tomorrow...

These:
Amazon.com: U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fluval CO2 Indicator Kit

I'm assuming the CO2 test solution they are referring to is the 4kh whatever I keep seeing over the forum here?

Edit: Considering I see people here selling the exact same thing with the extra solution, I guess not. Looks like I'll be ordering from here.
The drop checker will be fine, if you want to purchase that one. The second link does not work, but seems to be moot since you will be purchasing from the forums anyway.

4 dkH reference solution can be made easily if you have access to a scale and some basic measuring cups/graduated cylinders. Or you can go full out with an analytical scale, reagent grade chemicals from Sigma, and made in a volumetric flask

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I read your bit on that in the main thread, and frankly I'd much rather throw $5 to someone from here and know it's done right!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

I'm confused about what to start it at for my shrimp tank. I don't want to gas them. My DIY Co2 on a good day puts out one bubble every 2.5 seconds! PH is lowered from 7.6 to 7.4-7.5 at this rate lol. So yeah, I am upgrading. I'm going to get a drop checker but I just worry that I will start it too high and by the time the drop checker kicks in (I think I read it takes 4 hours? Or possibly I am delirious and recalling incorrectly) everything has died.

So it looks like the trick is to start it low and check the PH every 15 minutes?
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Dwops View Post
So it looks like the trick is to start it low and check the PH every 15 minutes?
The trick is to start it low and check your livestock, not your pH

A drop checker can help you get into the ballpark CO2 concentration, but checking your livestock is still the best way.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Watching ur livestock is the best indicator.. barring that once youve done that for a while measuring ph accurately will generally give u the concentration u desire.
With shrimp. Less is widely accepted as better, a lot of them are very sensitive. As far as cherries go, ive never seen that to be true, but they are practically bulletproof
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post

I totally agree......

Except I'd say aim for a 1.0-1.5 pH drop over the duration of the photoperiod.
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

1.5 ph drop is huge
1.1-1.2 is about 30 ppm
1.3 is about 40
1.4 is about 63
1.5 is about 80 i think the more the change in ph the more u step up in co2.
its not .1 ph equals 5 ppm. its increasing in value more than that or this would be a whole lot easier to contrl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.