New to live plants. Advice wanted. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Hvnzfire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you guys. Saja the more I have thought about it I will probably return them (if allowed) or give them to the people I sold the 55 gallon tanks to. Headed to the sale section once I find it. Lol sorry I am such a noobie. I have about 20 tabs pulled up researching all u guys have told me and more.
Hvnzfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Hvnzfire
Algae Grower

I also just added a pic of my tank to my profile.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
I hope you will return your goldfish. 4 goldfish will need 50 gallons of water. I have 4 goldfish in 50 gallons and nitrates rise in 4 days. I'm doing a 50% water change every 4 days. Smaller tank will require more frequent water changes and stunt goldfish growth resulting in early death. Goldfish are little in the beginning but grow quickly. My 1 inch telescopic in 6 months has grown to 6 inches with tail.

Search jasmines goldfish tank journal. She has a great thread about goldfish and planted tank.

My experience with my goldfish....swords, annibus, and tiger Lilly go untouched. Crypts are a bit hit and miss. Wisteria, duckweed and water lettuce are destroyed and eaten.
I agree with Sajacobs. Your current tank is way too small for 4 goldfish. Putting them in an even smaller tank would be cruel.
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Hvnzfire
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvnzfire View Post
Thank you guys. Saja the more I have thought about it I will probably return them (if allowed) or give them to the people I sold the 55 gallon tanks to. Headed to the sale section once I find it. Lol sorry I am such a noobie. I have about 20 tabs pulled up researching all u guys have told me and more.
Yep, not putting them in a smaller one. That tank is very small and while I usually do water changes in it every few days I think that passing them on to someone who actually want them.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Welcome to the site!!! The best advice I can give is to read as much information as you can before you put money into trying things out, it can get expensive quick. The need for wanting more or something better always takes over this hobby, hence my name lol...

The best way to turn your tank over to a planted aquarium would be to find a new home for the goldfish. Also, some plecos can be plant eaters - depending what species they are, and get to big for 37g. Some species are mainly veggie eaters, meat eaters, or both. It is very important that you also have a piece of driftwood in the tank for your pleco as some need this in their diet as well. Do you know what kind of pleco your looking to get?

Also, your substrate is VERY important. You can use what you have, but will have to add root tabs to provide nutriets to stem plants unless you change your substrate over. Which you could research for weeks all the different substrates people are using. Check out the sticky in the substrate section for more information on that.

As the others have pointed out, certain plants are almost guarenteed to thrive in most conditions. Anubias, java fern, mosses will slowly grow in a low light setup that you currently have, but these need to be tied to something. So if you dont have a lot of rocks or driftwood, it will look awkward with not having any hieght of plants in your 37g tank. So you will want some stem plants to grow in the background of the tank to give a more complete look.

Depending on what fish/inverts you do purchase some swim at different hieght levels so it is good to have your plants at different hieght levels too

Recommendations on choosing someone to buy stuff from - every person has a rating next to their name (whatever number out of /100%). You can click on that and it will show you some information about what that person has bought/sold and if people were happy or not with what they got. I tend to lean toward people that have sold more because usually its better quality plants and packaged better, but some people need to start selling at some point so don't always discount them.

The main question is what you want to acheive, and how much are you willing to spend to get there. Ask your self this, and research tank journals to see other peoples setups and what you like.

If you have any other questions, I am always willing to help the best I can so PM me. Good Luck with your journey!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Hvnzfire
Algae Grower

For some reason the album didn't stay put. I re-added it.