Confused about my params & CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Confused about my params & CO2

So these are my current measurements:

pH: 7.4
KH: 7.8

And according to "the chart" it looks like my CO2 is around 9ppm right now. Am I right about that?

2nd so now that I've got CO2 coming in and need to get that set up is it looking like I'll need a smaller dose to bring that 9ppm up to around 30ppm?

Also do I need a GH booster at those levels?

Any and all help is most appreciated

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

You cannot estimate CO2 accurately using the pH/kH/CO2 relationship as there are other factors in aquarium water that will affect kH.

The best way to estimate CO2 concentration in your aquarium is to use a drop checker with 4 dkH reference solution.

Also, it is hard to say whether or not you need gH booster without knowing your gH.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Confused about my params & CO2

I've been reading up on how inaccurate those drop checkers can be from people like plantbrain?

GH is around 200ppm

- Mumford

Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
Also do I need a GH booster at those levels?
gH has nothing to do with pH or kH. They're not linked in any way unless Calcium Carbonate is in use. Although using CaCO3 as a hardness reference is wrong IMO.

At 11 dgH (dgH = german degrees) you don't need gH boosting unless you want to keep hardwater fish like most african cichlids.

The chart is not accurate. The CO2 drop-checker test is as accurate as you can get but you must take into account a delay of about 30 minutes of what the test indicates. When you read it, it will show the CO2 concentration you had in your tank approximately half an hour ago.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
gH has nothing to do with pH or kH. They're not linked in any way unless Calcium Carbonate is in use. Although using CaCO3 as a hardness reference is wrong IMO.

At 11 dgH (dgH = german degrees) you don't need gH boosting unless you want to keep hardwater fish like most african cichlids.

The chart is not accurate. The CO2 drop-checker test is as accurate as you can get but you must take into account a delay of about 30 minutes of what the test indicates. When you read it, it will show the CO2 concentration you had in your tank approximately half an hour ago.
Thanks for the info.

It's crazy the amount of knowledge you guys have

- Mumford

Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
I've been reading up on how inaccurate those drop checkers can be from people like plantbrain?

GH is around 200ppm

- Mumford
It's not inaccurate per say, it's just not normally not used correctly or properly maintained. At your experience level it would be best to use one than not.

If you decide on using one then mount it low and in a section of the tank that is not it direct path of the flow from the co2 input source and return flow. Also as important is changing the drop checker solution every 2weeks regardless if you think the solution is good. Do the above and you will have a pretty accurate idea of co2 concentration in the water.

To give you am idea my Co2 rate in my 30gal with a canister filter: Co2 turns on at 5am with lights 4 x 39watt on at 7am. The inner diameter of my Co2 diameter is 3/32 and my rate is 60bps.

Hope this helps..

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
It's not inaccurate per say, it's just not normally not used correctly or properly maintained. At your experience level it would be best to use one than not.

If you decide on using one then mount it low and in a section of the tank that is not it direct path of the flow from the co2 input source and return flow. Also as important is changing the drop checker solution every 2weeks regardless if you think the solution is good. Do the above and you will have a pretty accurate idea of co2 concentration in the water.

To give you am idea my Co2 rate in my 30gal with a canister filter: Co2 turns on at 5am with lights 4 x 39watt on at 7am. The inner diameter of my Co2 diameter is 3/32 and my rate is 60bps.

Hope this helps..

from my iP 5 via Tapa.
Thanks man, most helpful!

Regulator arrived today and tank/diffuser in the next couple so trying to set this up with the info from this thread makes thing such easier

- Mumford