Diatomaceous earth with inverts?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
alexei
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Diatomaceous earth with inverts?

OK, so my DSM has acquired thrips via some emmersed UG that I bought. I know they shouldn't adversely affect my plants that are growing. The main problem is I can't have them spread to my neighboring soil plants.

I've got a couple ideas that will (hopefully) wipe them out. And a list of ideas that I cannot use for various reasons.

I'm leaning towards using diatomaceous earth combined with some beneficial bacteria I use in soil to combat critters (Bt etc).

So my question is will the DE have an adverse effect on any potential shrimp and invert populations a couple of months down the road?

anyone have any other good remedies to combat thrips that I might try? Flooding isn't an option and I think neem oil would be a disaster.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei View Post
OK, so my DSM has acquired thrips via some emmersed UG that I bought. I know they shouldn't adversely affect my plants that are growing. The main problem is I can't have them spread to my neighboring soil plants.

I've got a couple ideas that will (hopefully) wipe them out. And a list of ideas that I cannot use for various reasons.

I'm leaning towards using diatomaceous earth combined with some beneficial bacteria I use in soil to combat critters (Bt etc).

So my question is will the DE have an adverse effect on any potential shrimp and invert populations a couple of months down the road?

anyone have any other good remedies to combat thrips that I might try? Flooding isn't an option and I think neem oil would be a disaster.
I would worry about using Bt if I was going to have inverts later on.
I have no idea if it would kill shrimp, but it sure does a number on other arthropods (like insects).

Why don't you try treating the neighboring plants instead? You will nuke the Thrips once you flood the tank eventually.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Are the plants in question in a tank? Can you seal off the tank and nuke it with CO2?
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

It's 90% silica, doesn't sound too bad, might cause some algae problems. I know it's sharp pieces kill soft bodied critters when it's dry but I can't see it doing anything to something underwater. Also, it would be messy and could damage filters
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Reef keepers actually use DE in filters. Having used it a bunch myself, I don't think it would damage your filter.

I would not use it in a shrimp tank. There are lots of reports of folks losing shrimp when using Magnum DE filters.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

When using a De filter, the De isn't passing through the impeller, quite a bit different than sucking it up into your filter
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I've had major DE spills in tanks on a regular basis and it's never caused any filter damage. May be because Eheim and AquaClear equipment is pretty heavy duty, though.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Could be, but I've ruined eheim impellers before with the silt that comes off of color quartz, I can imagine it would be similar.It ddoesn't damage the blade at all, but it gets between the impeller and the casing and grinds up the magnet, takes a while but the filter makes all sorts of noise, and when you pull out the impeller it's just covered in goop.

So maybe use it, but clean your impeller after a day or two. That's not hard to do!

Last edited by mordalphus; 06-04-2013 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: Info
Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

I've used food-grade diatomaceous earth to kill aphids on my floaters. After it got wet, it just clumped up and became mud. Once it's on the water, it floats until it becomes saturated. Not sure if it would affect your shrimp but you can do a few water changes to remove it from your water column. Avoid using the stuff found at the garden center: It will often contain a blend of pesticides and insect bait for use on pest insects.

BT on the other hand I would be weary of using with shrimp. It's a group of bacteria that produces a toxin which kills plenty of insect larvae such as mosquitoes and caterpillars. Also, many of the commercially available products containing BT (mosquito dunks and liquid concentrates) contain other ingredients that I wouldn't want in a shrimp tank. Not to mention, those mosquito dunks will make your TDS skyrocket.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

DE works by causing microscopic cuts on insects/inverts/etc. That can even happen when wet, unfortunately.