DIY C02 Article - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #16
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Metalhead!

Sounds like you have just about the same setup as I do. I do put water in the second bottle to have a DIY bubble counter/crap accumulator :lol: .

As for making up a new batch I do just as wasserpest suggests...turn the bottle and leave the tubing intact!

I also have a check valve that is just prior to the tubing entering the tank. This prevents any chance of water backflowing into my setup and going everywhere.

Why are you using an airstone? is it because you are not using a reactor or something?

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 02:42 AM   #17
metallhd
Algae Grower

Thanks guttboy and wasserpest!

Actually I am using a airstone for a fairly simple reason - my reactor is another little pop bottle with the top cut off, it's upside down in the tank acting like a bell for the CO2, the airstone is to prevent the hose from slipping out the hole where the hose goes in - like I said, necessity is the mother of invention.

The small tank doesn't look like an Amano tank (yet), but let's try the CO2 for a while and see what it does, I'm pretty impressed so far - got some hygro on Saturday and it's not only growing like a weed but already turning colour a bit, some nice reddy bits, my cabomba has also taken off and the crypt in that tank is looking quite healthy, so I guess I'm doing something right even if it is only a gravel substrate. I am running a modified stock canopy with the guts ripped out to accommodate two spiral fluorescents of 13 watts each, giving about 2.6 wpg, nice and bright, much more so than the big one but that has blackwater and three strip fluorescents totalling about 70 watts - I'm getting a new bulb this wknd that should take it up to almost 90 though - this is over a 33. I like the 'power bars' that you hang typically under a cupboard cabinet - 20 bucks Cdn each, BUILT IN BALLAST and very convenient to install in my DIY canopy - the whole unit just slides into wooden guides - I have two of those in addition to the once-again modified stock canopy.

It is a relatively new tank (about a month) but I have found the mix of Bio-Max and Cycle cycle the tank very nicely, and I use liquid fertilizer right now, at least until the biomass index increases a little with some leavings from the new occupants, one of which expired during the night :cry: - no outward signs of trouble and everyone else is fine. I just hate to lose them no matter how small, but out of about 20 plants and 30 fish in the last little bit I've lost one fish still under warranty and an unidentified plant ( a sword with bulbously rounded leaves, relatively small - that one went in and went brown in 2 days flat, no sympathy from the lfs - "they need iron"). Thanks. For a dead plant and the opportunity to waste my money here - want more? Pplllbbbtttt.

I'm still relatively new to this and sorta feeling my way - I must say though that the help I have been able to glean from this site is just phenomenal, and I sincerely appreciate the efforts of all involved to make this a better cyber-place.

I guess I'm going to have to stick the turning the bottle (OK, I had to ask ops: ) - don't ask don't get though . . . I am going to try the water in the second chamber too - I have heard of some people using glycerine but I can't see any immediate advantage to that, but am open to suggestion. Thanks again - boy, this is a gas . . . . :roll: Sorry for the long post, I don't get out much.
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #18
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Metalhd....

Glad we could be of help! I too am a newbie in the planted tank realm but I am learning fast and passing on information when able. Like I said before kept marine reefs for 15 years or so and now doing the planted thing.

Update....my endler's have had 20 babies over the past week and the fry are doing well living off of the finely ground up flake food and an occassional BBS input.

Lost 2 endlers moms though....not sure if due to stress of babies or what....water parameters are "same as it ever was" and they all seem fine.

Looking to put some in my 15G hospital tank (hmmm might just be another endler tank) and some in my 100 Gallon tank!

After that who knows.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:39 PM   #19
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

Could you guys perhaps post pics of your setups? Also, I've read some instances where the production bottle has imploded. I always figured that the bottle would explode due to the production of CO2. Any idea on how it would implode?
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:11 PM   #20
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

As described in the other post... if the airline is positioned to closely to the impeller of the pump or in the area where water is sucked into the inlet, it might pull the CO2 out of your bottle, collapsing ("imploding"?) it and drawing the yummie mixture into the tank. Not good.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:21 PM   #21
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hehe, thanks again Wasser
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:30 AM   #22
metallhd
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternum23
Could you guys perhaps post pics of your setups?
Sorry, I have no pics, if I had a digicam I'd post nothing but snaps of all my purty tetras anyway, be warned <56K Xmas is coming. :lol:

Re imploding juice bottles are more structurally sound than pop - just leave some juice out a day or so to discover their sealing efficiency.

I have a 2-litre pop bottle with a 500 ml bottle strapped to the side of it with duct tape. The big bottle has the yeast mixture maybe 75% full, the smaller bottle has dechlorinated water maybe 75% full also. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the big bottlecap and two in the smaller bottlecap, cut the ends of the tubing on a bias to make them easier to pull through with needlenose pliers. Airline tubing maybe 8" long goes from just inside the cap on the big bottle to well down in the small bottle (instant bubble counter), another tube cut to required length and from just inside the 2nd hole on the small bottle is the output. On my little tank I have a similar deal with 2 500 ml bottles. Out of the yeast gas, into the water, out of the cleaned of yeast-gook gas into the tank, capiche?

On both tanks the output goes to an upside-down 500 ml pop bottle with the top cut off and a hole drilled near the top to accommodate the incoming CO2 hose, an airstone holds the tubing in place. If there is too much CO2 going in the setup the little bottles in the tank will *burp* that gas lost of course but ergo harmless - drawback to having no regulator of course. For my big tank I hope to construct a reactor similar to the one Buck describes in the DIY section this weekend. I had the output going to a little Aquaclear but took it off as was unconvinced of its' effectiveness per previous . . .

total kudos to depthc for starting this thread, tho - most excellent instrux, dude!

hope this helps from a greenhorn aquatic greenthumb, just fumbling along meself, one epiphany at a time . . .
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:51 PM   #23
Pockafwye

This is the first time I've seen someone online address the issue of the goop that accumulates from the CO2. Thank you for your ideas on how to deal with this.

I've used DIY CO2 for a couple of years, and have almost given it up a couple of times due to the icky goop accumulating in my filter.

Pockafwye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:11 PM   #24
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I used a short piece of the narrowest rigid tubing I could get, to run through the bottle caps. This way you can slide the airline onto it (a tight fit) and if you need to replace the airline due to damage, or needing a longer/shorter length, it's easy.

also, a poor man's airtight seal can be made with fun tack (that blue/yellow sticky stuff for posters)...and its' reusable and not permanent.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:27 PM   #25
Rabbit
Algae Grower

If I may, www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

brilliant layout (although perhaps a tad more high tech than I personally go).
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #26
Not Mister Green
Algae Grower

Default most excellent article rabbit....

the article states:

"Carbon dioxide rich groundwater often feeds the streams and natural CO2 concentrations up to several hundred times atmospheric equilibrium are common"

and

"At low light and low CO2 there is not much energy to play around with for up or down-regulation of the pools of Chlorophyll or enzymes contained in the plant. If we then add a little more CO2 to the system the plant can afford to invest less energy and resources in CO2 uptake and that leaves more energy for optimizing the light utilization - Chlorophyll can be produced without fatal consequences for the energy. Hence, although we have not raised the light, the plant can now utilize the available light more efficiently. Exactly the same explanation can be used to explain why increased light can stimulate growth even at very low CO2 concentrations. With more light available, less investment in the light utilization system is necessary and the free energy can be invested into a more efficient CO2 uptake system so that the CO2, which is present in the water, can be more efficiently extracted"

Fascinating.

Anywhose, no doubt this info is old hat to many on this site but for newbies like me this article is a must read!

I'm getting lined out for a DIY C02 with gallon jugs of wine and Mr. LeVasseur's superb article answered many of my questions.

Thanks for sharing!

~29G, goldfish, white clouds, bronze corys, apple snails, anachris, java ferns, 24" air curtain
~29G, barbs, peppered corys, ruby shark, apple snail, spiral cypts, italian vals, amazon sword, 24" air curtain
~20GH, bronze cory fry, dwarf sags, uruguayan sword, balansae crypt. 18" air wand

That's "sprayer green" to you!
Not Mister Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #27
sarahbobarah
LOTR BFME

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah

I use test tube stoppers with predrilled holes. No muss, no fuss, no turning, and completely leak proof.

Best Dressed Member of SVAS, SFBAAPS. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
sarahbobarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #28
Not Mister Green
Algae Grower

Default thanks for the tip sarahbobarah...

its super to hear about these great ideas before starting to buy equipment - I'm going with the test tube stoppers.

BTW, has anyone used fermenting jugs of wine as a DIY CO2 source? I'm definetly going to need to install a gas separator.

~29G, goldfish, white clouds, bronze corys, apple snails, anachris, java ferns, 24" air curtain
~29G, barbs, peppered corys, ruby shark, apple snail, spiral cypts, italian vals, amazon sword, 24" air curtain
~20GH, bronze cory fry, dwarf sags, uruguayan sword, balansae crypt. 18" air wand

That's "sprayer green" to you!
Not Mister Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM   #29
punkboybob
Algae Grower

Default Using CO2 with Koi

My 10gal tank currently houses Koi fry, It has a small amount of plants but they are looking bad. Could CO2 help? Will it hurt the fry (they are usually more sensitive than adults. What's a simple way to check the CO2.
punkboybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #30
FobbyBobby
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Co2 always helps
but you may need to upgrade your lighting, depends on the kinds of plants

i dont think the fry would have any problem with the addition of Co2, as long as you dont overdo it and create some huge pH fluctuations or anything
FobbyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote