My new Fluval Flora *thoughts*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Fluval30CRS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My new Fluval Flora *thoughts*

Hello everyone.

I have just purchased a Fluval Flora for myself. I rinsed all of the Fluval stratum and put it into the tank. its been about 2 days since I have added water To the tank and the water is still clearing up. Is this normal? Also I have adjusted ordered some plants for it....

2 assorted anubias (i already have to pieces of wood For the tank)

1 Banana Lillie

2 bunches of rotala

2 bunches of telanthera

I was hoping to get some HC aswell but I decided to wait.

For stocking the tank with fish I was thinking of

CRS (about 10)
Cardinal Tetra x6
otocinclus x6

So I was wondering what your thoughts are on the plants and stocking of The tank. Have I got enough plants? And is that too many fish

Thankyou
Fluval30CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Oh man you shouldn't rinse the fluval stratum, it will break down easily and faster. And are you using the stock filter that came with the kit? It will probably take 5-7 days to clear up (the stock filter doesn't really good on filtering small particles).
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Fluval30CRS
Algae Grower

Yes I am using the stock filter. I rinsed the stratum because I read the packaging and it said to gently rinse it so I did.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think your stocking list is a little heavy for the size of your tank...especially for the stock filter.

I'd recommend using AqAdvisor.com, which allows you to enter the dimensions of your tank, your filter (GPH), and select an option which will only display suitable species for your tank.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
AguaTropical
Planted Member

Also, will you be using CO2??

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
CuriousAmerican
Algae Grower

Best review of the Fluval Flora. He adds a simple light and changes the filter.

He put 6 cardinal tetras into the Fluval Flora.

Yo do NOT need 6 otos. 2 should be sufficient. 1 alone will be neurotic.

He has shrimp, lobsters, otos and cardinals.

My recommendation:

A) 6 cardinals
B) 2 otos.
C) Shrimp

AqAdvisor uses a funny algorithm for tetras. It requires 200 sq inches for a tetra.

If you doubt it, enter in a custom tank size of

2001 inch in length, 0.1 in Depth, and 8 inch height, and it will approve cardinal tetras.

Your only warning will be 5 tetras are required.

I did this with varying numbers. 200 inches is what they require for cardinals.

AqAdvisor is NOT as rock solid an advisor as you think.

That being said. 6 cardinals will shoal, not school in a flora.

If you are interested in more action, croaking gouramis or dario dario. Both are micro fish.

Do not get too bent out of shape with AqAdvisor. As one person pointed out, Cardinals do not really school until you get to 40 gallons.

One thing AqAdvisor is good for is check species vs temperature. Cardinal tetras run in warm water. So you will have to run at about 80 F 27 C

Check your shrimp and lobsters accordingly. Cherry shrimp should be okay. Maybe some micro lobsters.
But check the temp range.

CuriousAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
AguaTropical
Planted Member

I agree that you shouldn't base all your decisions off of AqAdvisor, but it is a very handy tool regardless. If you aren't sure what you want to stock, it is a good starting place.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Fluval30CRS
Algae Grower

Thanks for advice on the stocking guys. I am going to be using the co2 kit for the first few weeks but might get rid of it if it doesn't do much.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
CuriousAmerican
Algae Grower

Another guy with Cardinals in a Fluval

And another (third) guy with Cardinals in a Fluval

So go for it with cardinals. It is doable. They will shoal, but they won't school. No harm to the fish though.

===================

Scarlet Badis - (dario dario) do well in small tanks

===================

If you are going to go with a tank like this, consider an Evolve 8. It does not take a lot to modify the Evolve 8 filter and pump.

This filter mod is so easy, it is amazing

Pump mod

Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 04-19-2013 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: Great new videos
CuriousAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Fluval30CRS
Algae Grower

I would really like to get Dario Dario for my tank but there us no shops around my area sell them. Also I would really like to get HC for my tank but I also can't get it. Does anyone no an Australian website that I can get these things from!?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Otos are a schooling species and thrive best when they're in groups of six plus.

That's why people like Rachel (msninkzd) and other micro fish experts recommend groups of that size.

Not to say they won't be perfectly fine in groups of two or three. They just won't necessarily behave as they would in larger groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAmerican View Post
Yo do NOT need 6 otos. 2 should be sufficient. 1 alone will be neurotic.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Fluval30CRS
Algae Grower

Hey guys I have finished adding all of the plants and have cycled the tank. One of the Molly's in my bigger tank (juwel 240) has had about 20 fry, I added them to my fluval so they wouldn't get eaten and they are all fine. I also have added 4 crs one on them has shed an exo skeleton. And one is swimming around really fast up against the sides if the tank. Its really weird as the other ones are being normal. Sometimes he will swim to the top of the tank and then go head first into a plant. It also got it self stuck in the edge of my filter :-( I think it was there for about 10 mins and then I found it there so I helped him get out then he started swimming around frantically again.please help what is wrong with him?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
stevencaller
Algae Grower

I'm afraid you can't keep otos in groups as small as just 2
Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
supergreeneye
Algae Grower

I've been running my flora for about 3 years now i have upgraded the filter lights and c02 i also bought another bag of stranum and tore out the background cause it kept coming off and knocking the top off i have 10 white cloud mountain minnows for about 6 month to a year i have had basically no problems with the original hardware but decided to upgrade after finding out that the stock c02 sucks and a better more versatile filter and the stock light got wet and stoped working so i went with an led setup i hope u enjoy the tank
supergreeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Lukeo85
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluval30CRS View Post
Hey guys I have finished adding all of the plants and have cycled the tank. One of the Molly's in my bigger tank (juwel 240) has had about 20 fry, I added them to my fluval so they wouldn't get eaten and they are all fine. I also have added 4 crs one on them has shed an exo skeleton. And one is swimming around really fast up against the sides if the tank. Its really weird as the other ones are being normal. Sometimes he will swim to the top of the tank and then go head first into a plant. It also got it self stuck in the edge of my filter :-( I think it was there for about 10 mins and then I found it there so I helped him get out then he started swimming around frantically again.please help what is wrong with him?
That may have been a female molt and the male searching for a mate. The female will release a pheromone after a molt and the males frantically swim around in search of the female. That may be what you experienced. Take a close look there's a chance you might have a berried female.
Lukeo85 is offline   Reply With Quote