My First Tank...and What's Looking To Be a Very Long Obsession - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #31
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Here's the finished stand in place with the tank! On one picture, the brightness is way up in order to better see the grain of the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-12.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	112818  

Name:	image-18.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	112826  

MikeyMizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #32
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

What's your opinion on the hardscape? Better than the first two? What would you change?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-13.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	112834  

Name:	image-14.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	112842  

Name:	image-15.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	112850  

Name:	image-16.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	112858  

Name:	image-17.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	112866  

Name:	image-19.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	112874  

Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

p.s. the kleenex is a placeholder...of course
Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #34
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

If you are going to use sand as a stream / river I highly recommend using clear barriers to keep sand seperate. This will make life a lot easier for you. Easier to clean since you can gravel vaccum it up and not get mixed. Over time sand will fall through other substrate. But I like the design, not as much as 2 though.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #35
TheRiverRat
Algae Grower

I like it, could maybe pile a little more substrate around your bigger rock formations to give it a more hilly appeal.

+1 on using a barrier of some sort though. I just used landscaping fabric to put a sand cap on eco-complete so it doesn't mix.

Instead of a path you could also think of putting kind if a beach out front that follows the curves of your rocks a bit. Could make it look like a desert meeting a lush mountain range/foothills.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Great start!! Great that you research first. I just dove in and got a tank I saw at a LPS (local pet store).

The test kits do have and expiration date. After 6 months you probably won't need a test kit.

Now before you fill it put some plastic over the substrate. Thus less will float up.

I used metal flashing to keep substrates separate. I someone use plexiglass. Heated with a blow torch to bend it.

I would start with some cheap stem plants (wisteria) or floaters (Egeria densa) first to start the cycling. Some Pet Smart and Petco stores sell some. Also some tanks are prone to algae. Mine use to have BBA until I add 3hr siesta period with lights. After the cycling for plants check out plant finder. I believe that light strip will give you medium light. You'll get more for you buck buying from someone on a forum like this 1 or APC. Here is a list of planted tank members in your area. Found it doing an advanced search on members. There is also aqua bid and online store.

What ferts you will need will depend on the plants you get. My all in favoite fert is by select aquatics Made and sold by a hobbiest thus cheap. Then I buy Brigtwell aquatics FlorinFE for extra iron off LNT.com, for they don't charge for shipping.

How did you find local used equipment store?

Last edited by Hilde; 03-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: added text
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #37
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAddicted View Post
If you are going to use sand as a stream / river I highly recommend using clear barriers to keep sand seperate. This will make life a lot easier for you. Easier to clean since you can gravel vaccum it up and not get mixed. Over time sand will fall through other substrate. But I like the design, not as much as 2 though.
Sweet, I'll look into some barriers...

I think I'm going to shy away from the second layout because I like the natural feel rather than the stacked looked.

Thanks for the input...I'm going to be looking into the plants you suggested.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #38
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

looking great can't wait to see the progression. Are you pleased with the Finnex fixture? We're using Kessils, Maxspect Razors, Tridents, and EcoRays variously throughout the shop. I'm really sold on the Kessils. Very simple and clean. All the LED's are great though. I had my doubts at first but I see some real positives in marine and freshwater plant growth.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiverRat View Post
I like it, could maybe pile a little more substrate around your bigger rock formations to give it a more hilly appeal.

+1 on using a barrier of some sort though. I just used landscaping fabric to put a sand cap on eco-complete so it doesn't mix.

Instead of a path you could also think of putting kind if a beach out front that follows the curves of your rocks a bit. Could make it look like a desert meeting a lush mountain range/foothills.
Good input, Riverrat...I need to research the barrier issues though. How would the substrate remain piled next to the rocks? I would need to create a barrier around them, right?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #40
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
looking great can't wait to see the progression. Are you pleased with the Finnex fixture? We're using Kessils, Maxspect Razors, Tridents, and EcoRays variously throughout the shop. I'm really sold on the Kessils. Very simple and clean. All the LED's are great though. I had my doubts at first but I see some real positives in marine and freshwater plant growth.
Yeah! I love the Finnex. Of course, I haven't seen it in action yet, really. Two days ago, I began to realize that it isn't putting out the low-light that I had expected. I think I've got medium to high light from the substrate to the top. This opens up possibilities for better carpeting plants, but increases the need for CO2...which I wasn't planning on.

I have created a monster.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
alexei
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMizz View Post
I'm so conflicted over plants...right now I'm leaning towards a dry start with marisela. Any suggestions for foreground? Maybe some moss? If I did moss, what's a good thread to learn start up?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=167472 sums up dry start with moss very well

It's really coming together. You've been fully infected; this planted tank disease is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and test those rocks with some vinegar to double check they don't fizz.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei View Post
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=167472 sums up dry start with moss very well

It's really coming together. You've been fully infected; this planted tank disease is a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and test those rocks with some vinegar to double check they don't fizz.
Thanks for the thread, alexei! Very helpful...and a beautiful tank, for sure!

I did drop some vinegar on the rock...no fizz, in bizz.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Made some minor changes to the stones. Added slope below the stones. And experimenting with possibilities for the pool filter sand.

Any votes? Or other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beach option.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	113106  

Name:	Beach with path option.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	113114  

Name:	Extended Beach with path option.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	113122  

Name:	Path option.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	113130  

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #44
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Great start!! Great that you research first. I just dove in and got a tank I saw at a LPS (local pet store).

The test kits do have and expiration date. After 6 months you probably won't need a test kit.

Now before you fill it put some plastic over the substrate. Thus less will float up.

I used metal flashing to keep substrates separate. I someone use plexiglass. Heated with a blow torch to bend it.

I would start with some cheap stem plants (wisteria) or floaters (Egeria densa) first to start the cycling. Some Pet Smart and Petco stores sell some. Also some tanks are prone to algae. Mine use to have BBA until I add 3hr siesta period with lights. After the cycling for plants check out plant finder. I believe that light strip will give you medium light. You'll get more for you buck buying from someone on a forum like this 1 or APC. Here is a list of planted tank members in your area. Found it doing an advanced search on members. There is also aqua bid and online store.

What ferts you will need will depend on the plants you get. My all in favoite fert is by select aquatics Made and sold by a hobbiest thus cheap. Then I buy Brigtwell aquatics FlorinFE for extra iron off LNT.com, for they don't charge for shipping.

Hilde! I don't know how I missed your post from this morning...but thank you! This is some great info. Very helpful!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #45
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

As far as the local used equipment store, I just googled aquarium stores and saw it on the map...turns out, it's only 5 minutes from my house. SWEET!

Tags
40b, amazonia, aquascape, breeder tank, fugeray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.