Pond snails-Friend or Foe?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pond snails-Friend or Foe?

I've just started my planted tank, and I've found a couple of pin head sized pond snails cruising around my tank (no fish yet). I know pond snails are pretty much inevitable in a planted tank and I've read about how they can really take over a tank. I'm wondering if they serve any benefit at all or if I should remove them now before they take over???
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

if u have one. u have 100. removing them manual is impossible, if ur trying to get all of them

the best thing u can do at this point, is population control. find somethign that prey's on them
they are beneficial to a point, it takes a lot of them to really matter
Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
thedudeabides
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

In my experience they are very hard to completely eradicate. Also they eat algae and detritus and I have never had them eat plants (even Barclaya longifolia). So if you don't find them to be to much of a nuisance there isn't much harm in keeping them around. Depending on what kinds of fish you keep, (loaches, puffers, mollys) they might keep them in check.
thedudeabides is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

They're not really a problem but when I simply had more than I wanted and thought all those snails looked a little gross I spent a week setting a lettuce in a bottle trap every night and removing them in the morning. Now I have a dwarf puffer in a little tank, and a growing colony of assasin snails in my grow out tank. So I just occasionally pick a few out with tweezers to use as feed for those guys.
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
caoder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Pond snails-Friend or Foe?

In my experience, they are ok. They take care of food thats left over. But if you keep the feeding right they aren't a problem. Use them to gauge how much you feed and also your water quality as they all get off the bottom if the water is getting pretty bad.

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk 2
caoder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't really mind them, to be honest. I have pond snails in the convict tank, and he keeps the numbers in check by killing them for fun.

I have bladder snails in my little planted tetra tank and they're awesome fun to watch. They really can haul when they're trying.

I've never had a pond or bladder snail eat live plants, but they will egg the crap out of them when they start getting busy.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
wootlaws
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I like 'em , they munch on dead plant matters and algae. I feed heavily so no fish is left without food and they do a good job eating up the leftovers. If the population ever gets out of control then I will just put a piece of vegetable in there and take it out the next day with most of the snails.
wootlaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

i don't mind them, personally. I've found that the population seem to equalize with your water quality. as they have less to eat i see a lot of random shells.

in my puffer tank, thought, i can't keep them alive long .. puff loves them! i'm actually resorting to propigating them in a seperate tank with snails i'm aquiring from members here!
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
pond snails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.